Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

96 LT4 Starter Relay switch location?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:22 PM
bronctwo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 96 LT4 Starter Relay switch location?

Looking for advise from some of you vette guru's out there. Have a 96 LT4 that has developed some starting issues. You turn the key and nothing happens (all lights come on but nothing happens on the starting end) no clicking no attempt to turn over. Then come back the next day, turns over and starts fine. Shut it off try again, nothing.... First I thought it may the clutch neutral safety switch, I ordered the part. The car is parked in the garage, in order to get under the dash I need the door all the way open which isn't happening, no room. If I take it out of the garage and the neutral switch isn't the problem I'm stuck. Very steep driveway and would take three or four guys to get it back up there. Then I'm thinking maybe the starter. I tapped it out with a small hammer hoping maybe the solenoid was stuck, that didn't work. Its not the key chip either. Is there a starter relay switch somewhere inline that could be bad? if so where is it located? It has low mileage 49000, no leaks or any other problems I'm aware of. Been garaged since bought new, only been in the rain a dozen times or so. I would appreciate any suggestions. Chuck.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:28 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

from the fsm

Name:  Image (2).jpg
Views: 2667
Size:  715.0 KB
The following users liked this post:
bronctwo (09-03-2017)
Old 08-21-2017, 06:35 PM
Ripe93
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Broncotwo...My 93 Ruby did the exact same thing this weekend. Jumped in the car, turned the key to the on position, went to start and EVERYTHING shut off. Completely dead. Interior lights went out, dash went dark. Sat there for a minute in absolute amazement. And 30 seconds later, the interior lights refired and it was back up. Just to return to black with one turn of the key. No crank, just one small click. Tested the battery...100%. MTWoolford, thanks for pg 6-211, I have the fsm. But where does the switch reside in my car? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-21-2017, 06:39 PM
Ripe93
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

btw.. 68k mi, 6sp., Batt/Alt 1yr old working fine. Only used for coffee runs from Gilroy to Monterey on random Saturday or Sunday mornings.
Old 08-23-2017, 12:05 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripe93
. MTWoolford, thanks for pg 6-211, I have the fsm. But where does the switch reside in my car? Thanks in advance!
try the factory service manual, book one at 8C-29, view B item 7, relay, starter motor (?) , back of, bottom of dash console, next to steering column, outboard side

Last edited by mtwoolford; 08-23-2017 at 12:08 AM.
Ripe93 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-24-2017, 04:26 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by Ripe93
Broncotwo...My 93 Ruby did the exact same thing this weekend. Jumped in the car, turned the key to the on position, went to start and EVERYTHING shut off. Completely dead. Interior lights went out, dash went dark. Sat there for a minute in absolute amazement. And 30 seconds later, the interior lights refired and it was back up. Just to return to black with one turn of the key. No crank, just one small click. Tested the battery...100%. MTWoolford, thanks for pg 6-211, I have the fsm. But where does the switch reside in my car? Thanks in advance!
Check your main battery ground on the battery first and the other main ground on the bellhousing on the driver side.(you'll have to get under the car for that one) The battery terminal may look clean, but they can build up a layer of a clear glassy corrosion of some kind where the cable clamps on, and not ground at all. I had the same thing happen on my car and that's what it turned out to be. Wire brushed the post and cable with one of those battery terminal brushes and everything went back to normal.
Ripe93 (08-24-2017)
Old 08-26-2017, 09:40 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Don't forget that the battery system has TWO cables, a positive and a negative, and each one has TWO ends. All four connections need to be clean and tight for everything to work correctly.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 08-26-2017 at 09:42 PM. Reason: Fixed spelling errors. Thanks, autocorrect. Changed an adjective to an adverb...
Old 09-03-2017, 04:41 AM
bronctwo
Advanced

Default Thank you for FSM pics, but I have another question...

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
from the fsm

Attachment 48198621
It looks like it's not the neutral safety switch. Im thinking it's something simpler, the battery. It. almost three years old and only gets a few hours run time a week. I found out that I was sold a battery with a considerably lower Cold cranking amp level than the vehichle calls for. I have the LT4 and was sold a batery for an LT1. I didnt know there was a difference, I guess the guy at Advance Auto didnt know either. As long as I give it a full battery charge it starts right up, but only after the charge. Im swapping out the battery this weekend, hoping thats it. One more question if it's ok. Is it normal for a C4 to overheat if it's just sitting? As long as Im moving it's fine but getting stuck in traffic makes the temp gradually get extremely high. Then start driving and cools down? Thanks again, Chuck.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:55 AM
bronctwo
Advanced

Default Thanks, Klondike

Originally Posted by Klondike
Check your main battery ground on the battery first and the other main ground on the bellhousing on the driver side.(you'll have to get under the car for that one) The battery terminal may look clean, but they can build up a layer of a clear glassy corrosion of some kind where the cable clamps on, and not ground at all. I had the same thing happen on my car and that's what it turned out to be. Wire brushed the post and cable with one of those battery terminal brushes and everything went back to normal.
Thanks, I cleaned the upper cable ends, haven't gotten to the lower ones yet. I think I may have a battery issue. I was sold a battery for an LT1 but I have an LT4. I didn't know the LT4 calls for a considerably higher Cold cranking amp level. Plus the battery only gets about an hour run time a week (it's almost 3 years old). It starts fine after giving it a FULL charge but only after a full charge.Changing out this weekend, hope thats it. A question for you if you dont mind. Is it normal for a C4 to overheat? As long as Im moving temp is fine, get stuck in some traffic and up, up it goes. Any ideas on the culprit? I've checked the underside to make sure a plastic bag or something didnt get sucked up; the radiator fins look clean, fluid level is ok... maybe theres a common issue Im not aware of. Thanks for any help, Chuck.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 LT4 Starter Relay switch location?

Quick Reply: 96 LT4 Starter Relay switch location?