Front-end winch attachment?

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:01 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,126 Likes on 730 Posts

Default Front-end winch attachment?

I have a tilting Aluma trailer which I've been driving onto with mixed results. It's not easy feathering the clutch and gas on a 20 degree slope to get positioned. In fact it feels kind of dangerous and more importantly, I'm gradually destroying the clutch.

Installing a winch on the trailer is easy enough but I'm stuck on the best way to pull the car up. Ideally I just want to hook the winch to something and haul it up.

I've looked at the front end a bit and the place where the bumperettes attach looks to be a fairly sturdy place to put an adapter plate with a tow ring. Looks like I could have four bolts on that crossmember and I wouldn't unduly strain the radiator, which would be my chief concern. I'm thinking I may be able to get the ring to protrude behind the license plate, which would minimize any torque on the crossmember.

Has anybody here installed anything along these lines and what specifically did you do?

Old 08-28-2017, 04:11 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I'm in the same boat. I'm looking a little more toward the rear and making a tab to bolt to the frame closer to the cross member where the frame is a bit more sturdy. My thought is that pulling on a corner is not good. Unless you want a diamond shape frame.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:13 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by TimAT
I'm in the same boat. I'm looking a little more toward the rear and making a tab to bolt to the frame closer to the cross member where the frame is a bit more sturdy. My thought is that pulling on a corner is not good. Unless you want a diamond shape frame.
You're right, I think there would be some uneven stress on the welds by pulling on a corner. Backing a high HP vette onto a trailer would be even scarier. Plus it would just look wrong in the rear view mirror. Right now my car follows me all the way home.

In loading the car, I put a couple of flags up on the corners of the trailer to sort of see where I'm going, as I can't really see over the hood (your hood actually!).

If I do fab something, are you interested in a copy?

Last edited by ignatz; 08-28-2017 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:29 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Originally Posted by ignatz
If I do fab something, are you interested in a copy?
I am. I can't seem to get home long enough anymore to get much done. It took me almost 3 years to get the new motor back together and running. I was gone for 8 months last year.
Old 08-28-2017, 05:40 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

Rookie suggestion:

How about attaching a dedicated strap across from one lower A-arm to the other.....then connect the winch cable hook to the center of the strap.

The cable will be much lower which will clear the spoiler, and you can't bend a thing on A-arms!
Old 08-28-2017, 05:41 PM
Ryan Menzies
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

OP,
I can't offer any advice on this. Just wanted to comment on how nice your car is especially with the wheels ðŸ‘
Old 08-28-2017, 06:04 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doorgunner
Rookie suggestion:

How about attaching a dedicated strap across from one lower A-arm to the other.....then connect the winch cable hook to the center of the strap.

The cable will be much lower which will clear the spoiler, and you can't bend a thing on A-arms!
I've had that thought especially since I have tubular A-arms. But these days I am all about not having to crawl under the car, especially when it's flat on the ground. It's not that bad hooking up the restraints when the car is up on the trailer but that's it. I'm willing to do some work to make autoX days a bit easier.
Old 08-28-2017, 06:06 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ryan Menzies
OP,
I can't offer any advice on this. Just wanted to comment on how nice your car is especially with the wheels ðŸ‘
Ah yes, my beautiful mistress - thanks Ryan
Old 08-28-2017, 06:40 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Are you thinking of something like this, which is two pieces?
The bracket attaches to solid structure and the red tow ring in detachable.
It looks like it could mount directly under the front license plate.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:06 PM
doorgunner
Nam Labrat

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,178 Likes on 2,738 Posts

I've had that thought especially since I have tubular A-arms. But these days I am all about not having to crawl under the car, especially when it's flat on the ground. It's not that bad hooking up the restraints when the car is up on the trailer but that's it. I'm willing to do some work to make autoX days a bit easier.
Owing an Escalade for 11 years I keep forgetting how low a Vette sits since my project still is not complete.

The attachment Wendell posted looks promising....it could be permanently attached/the winch hook could be attached using a pole similar to a broom handle which would save you from having to crawl under the front to attach it to the "eye".
Old 08-28-2017, 07:11 PM
SB64
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 796 Likes on 620 Posts

I have a tilting Aluma trailer which I've been driving onto with mixed results. It's not easy feathering the clutch and gas on a 20 degree slope to get positioned. In fact it feels kind of dangerous and more importantly, I'm gradually destroying the clutch.

Installing a winch on the trailer is easy enough but I'm stuck on the best way to pull the car up. Ideally I just want to hook the winch to something and haul it up.

I've looked at the front end a bit and the place where the bumperettes attach looks to be a fairly sturdy place to put an adapter plate with a tow ring. Looks like I could have four bolts on that crossmember and I wouldn't unduly strain the radiator, which would be my chief concern. I'm thinking I may be able to get the ring to protrude behind the license plate, which would minimize any torque on the crossmember.

Has anybody here installed anything along these lines and what specifically did you do?

Very nice looking corvette!!

RVZIO
Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 PM
AllC34Me

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,103 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I use two straps, one around each lower control arm, and hook to the tow cable hook. Works well. I don't drive cars onto the trailer, I winch them.
Best regards,
David
Old 08-28-2017, 07:33 PM
LT1M21Vette
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 77 Posts

I can't help you, but that is one nice looking C3.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:29 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by doorgunner
The attachment Wendell posted looks promising....it could be permanently attached/the winch hook could be attached using a pole similar to a broom handle which would save you from having to crawl under the front to attach it to the "eye".
Well I am hoping to see if anybody else has solved this problem and what they did.

I hate to drill holes or weld to my frame if I can find another way. I was thinking maybe I could attach a piece of plate steel to the four bolts in in my cross member that right now hold the angle brackets to the bumperettes. Then have something that reaches up behind the license plate to hold a a tow ring/eye. Maybe hinge the license plate somehow to get access.

Searching on "tow eye" gets me lots of interesting imagery something like Wendell shows.
Old 08-28-2017, 08:30 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by AllVettes4Me
....I don't drive cars onto the trailer, I winch them.
Best regards,
David
I have come to that realization!
Old 08-28-2017, 08:57 PM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,003 Posts

I have straps I wrap around the A-Arms and a bridle I attach with shackles
Old 08-28-2017, 09:22 PM
wendellp601
Safety Car

Received 188 Likes on 149 Posts

Here's a thread from a while back in which a member added something similar to his later model C3.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tow-hook.html

Get notified of new replies

To Front-end winch attachment?

Old 08-29-2017, 11:54 AM
loup68
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 427 Likes on 322 Posts

You are missing two of the bolts on your bumperette brackets. Lou.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:58 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by wendellp601
Here's a thread from a while back in which a member added something similar to his later model C3.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tow-hook.html
Thanks for sharing this. That looks to be a considerably later model and structurally different than my 69. I am hopeful that I can hide this behind my license plate. There is a gap through that area to the crossmember with a flap and the grill removed.

Pulling the car up a 20 degree ramp should be about a 1000 # load on that member. It doesn't seem unreasonable.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:01 PM
ignatz
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by loup68
You are missing two of the bolts on your bumperette brackets. Lou.
And even worse I have a grade 8 bolt instead of the proper NCRS approved fastener!

Quick Reply: Front-end winch attachment?