C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Exhaust, Maybe!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2017, 12:56 PM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Received 271 Likes on 154 Posts
Default Changing Exhaust, Maybe!

I'm thinking of putting on a slightly louder axle back exhaust on my 03 Vert.
A question I have is can I do it on jack stands or do I need to put it on a rack?
Another question is WHY ARE THE DANG THINGS SO EXPENSIVE!!!
Old 09-18-2017, 01:23 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by Grandpa1
I'm thinking of putting on a slightly louder axle back exhaust on my 03 Vert.
A question I have is can I do it on jack stands or do I need to put it on a rack?
Another question is WHY ARE THE DANG THINGS SO EXPENSIVE!!!
To get the OVER THE AXLE portion out, you MUST jack the rear of the car VERY HIGH.

Some people CUT the old exhaust out and install a multiple section CAT Back. IF,, you have a solid pipe CAT Back, you will have to have the rear of the car jacked VERY HIGH.

You can find good used C5 Exhaust on the C5 parts for sale section for a LOT less than the NEW exhaust Price.

Just make SURE that you don't get one that you will REGRET
Later.

There's LOUD and then there's LOUD with TERRIBLE DRONE! The DRONE is VERY undesirable and you will very soon get tired of it.

BC
Old 09-18-2017, 01:46 PM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the advice fellows. I really like my car. I'm not sure I want to change it from stock when it is working so well. I probably won't but I am curious on how to do it myself.

Corvette tax huh? I don't like paying tax anyway so they will probably have the system I would pay for still on their shelf and my money in my pocket. Pity.

I saw some newer Corvette systems selling for $3500! Wow!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:05 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Received 291 Likes on 228 Posts

You can get a real nice system for about $1200.00, which is high for me.
A guy on here was selling Corsa extremes for under $1100.00 with free shipping, that is the best price i have seen yet!
Old 09-18-2017, 03:20 PM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by pjdbm
You can get a real nice system for about $1200.00, which is high for me.
A guy on here was selling Corsa extremes for under $1100.00 with free shipping, that is the best price i have seen yet!
Too high for me too! Oh, well.
The following users liked this post:
pjdbm (09-18-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 09:29 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I personally would not even consider cutting the factory pipes. Take it to a shop and have it done on a lift. You can find used systems for sale on here pretty often. I bought my Borla system from a forum member for a reasonable price. The Atak system I have can easily be installed at home on jack stands. It sounds fantastic with very little drone. The Corsa extreme sounds amazing too!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:18 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Are you a gambler? Find some pics and videos using Google; "C5 exhaust bypass". Most results will be the Z06 titanium system, but you can have an exhaust shop do this to a base system on the cheap.
Worst case scenario you spent maybe $150 and don't like it. Most do. But if you don't, you could probably swap it to someone back to a base system again.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:47 AM
sunvet
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a Z06 exhaust from a forum member. I usually do all my own work, but because of the height it's just too dangerous to try this on jack stands - I don't have a lift. I took it to my local shop and they said it was a PITA to install. After all this, it's too quiet for me, I wanted something louder.

But since I bought the exhaust here, I can take it off and sell it for what I paid for it, although I am out the labor charges.
Old 09-20-2017, 12:25 PM
pjdbm
Drifting

Originally Posted by sunvet
I just bought a Z06 exhaust from a forum member. I usually do all my own work, but because of the height it's just too dangerous to try this on jack stands - I don't have a lift. I took it to my local shop and they said it was a PITA to install. After all this, it's too quiet for me, I wanted something louder.

But since I bought the exhaust here, I can take it off and sell it for what I paid for it, although I am out the labor charges.
what exhaust did you buy that was too quiet?

I cant understand why a mechanic would consider this job a PITA unless the tips were not lining up properly. This should be a 45 minute job with jackstands
Old 09-20-2017, 12:51 PM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by pjdbm
what exhaust did you buy that was too quiet?

I cant understand why a mechanic would consider this job a PITA unless the tips were not lining up properly. This should be a 45 minute job with jackstands
Originally Posted by sunvet
I just bought a Z06 exhaust...
He posted twice, missed the word "exhaust" the second time around.
sunvet; the Z06 exhaust is lighter, but not much louder than the base model. The Z06 LS6 motor is a part of the reason a Z06 is louder (higher compression, bigger cam).
Old 09-20-2017, 07:23 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Exhausts for vettes are a ripoff as said just buy used stuff and try it out
Want to really enjoy it? Add more power to the car the volume will increase on its own;plenty of guys running 9s and 10s on stock exhausts it doesnt give you what you think
Loud mufflers on stock engines are for kids and gardeners.

Last edited by cv67; 09-20-2017 at 07:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:38 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Exhausts for vettes are a ripoff as said just buy used stuff and try it out
Want to really enjoy it? Add more power to the car the volume will increase on its own;plenty of guys running 9s and 10s on stock exhausts it doesnt give you what you think
Loud mufflers on stock engines are for kids and gardeners.
I enjoy it now. Stock is plenty good for me. Running 9s and 10s are not required because I ain't in no hurry.
As far as loud, I don't want loud at all just a soft rumble.
I'm too old to buy a used one and put it on just to try out.
I'm a kid in my mind and I do my own yard.
I agree that the cost of a Corvette exhaust is a ripoff but as long as people buy them and pay the high price there will be a market.
Thanks for your input!!
Old 09-21-2017, 10:04 AM
pjdbm
Drifting

I just scored a Borla Atak used with what appears to be 10k on them for $700.00 and that included shipping. These will be going on today once delivered. It takes a while to get a good deal on a used set, many are asking for near the original price which is absurd.

You can get a brand new Borla stingers with quad tips for $861.00 with free shipping on Amazon and some are asking for $700.00 plus shipping of $100.00 for their old beat up exhaust

Just does not make any sense...

Anyways, you can find a good deal if you are patient and the rule for me is used/half price.

Last edited by pjdbm; 09-21-2017 at 10:05 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:26 PM
huesmann
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
If you insist on saving the stock system then it is virtually impossible to safely remove them on jack stands.
Not if you drop the drivetrain!

In other words, I swapped my exhaust when the drivetrain was out for a clutch job.

Last edited by huesmann; 09-21-2017 at 03:26 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:08 AM
tnmotown
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I want a little more rumble out of my stock exhaust also, and seen the bypass mod people talked about. Although I have the titanium exhaust on my z06, I need to find someone who can do it.

I'm assuming around $150 in labor cost is pretty good to open up the sound, especially when comparing costs to other kits that are $700+
Old 09-22-2017, 06:21 AM
Grandpa1
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by tnmotown
I want a little more rumble out of my stock exhaust also, and seen the bypass mod people talked about. Although I have the titanium exhaust on my z06, I need to find someone who can do it.

I'm assuming around $150 in labor cost is pretty good to open up the sound, especially when comparing costs to other kits that are $700+
Thanks for your input! I had no idea what you were talking about when you mentioned "bypass mod" so I did a search and found it.
I think that will work for me. I'm going to take my car to a muffler shop and get an estimate on having the work done.
Although the bypass thread is 9 years old the exhaust system is the same and I now have pictures to show to the muffler guy.
If anyone reading this has the mod would you please chime in on it. I would love hearing how it worked out for you!
Thanks!
Old 09-22-2017, 08:00 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

I know someone who just took off a modded ti exhaust and has it for sale if you're interested.

Get notified of new replies

To Changing Exhaust, Maybe!

Old 09-22-2017, 10:49 AM
tnmotown
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bwill03z
I know someone who just took off a modded ti exhaust and has it for sale if you're interested.
If they are local to Modesto,Ca that would be great. If not, the shipping would kill me
Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

If they are local to Modesto,Ca that would be great. If not, the shipping would kill me
Oh no sorry we are in VA. Shipping would be expensive.
Old 09-22-2017, 12:32 PM
v6turbo87
Pro

Received 124 Likes on 93 Posts

Stock C5 axle back cut off using chain type pipe cutter form Advance Auto Loan-A-Tool program.

As has been said, you can do it on jack stands if you cut the stock exhaust off. With the chain cutter pictured the stock system was off in about 15 minutes. A stock (NON Z06) eshaust is worthless so I see no point in saving it by having a shop remove it in one piece.

Quick Reply: Changing Exhaust, Maybe!