Sponsored by:

Planning an HID conversion.

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 02:13 AM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Planning an HID conversion.

I know absolutely nothing about this, which is why I am asking those who have done it.

What does it involve?
I would be replacing both high and low beam lights.

Also, have no idea where to get this kit.

I don't want LED lights because I was told they do not work well in a lens not designed for them, which is what the c5 has.

All I know is two things, and they are, my stock lights are to dim, and I was told having brighter light will cut down on the glare from oncoming headlights, because it will brighten the road before me so glare from others is not nearly as bad as with these stock lights.

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Bob.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:38 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Received 357 Likes on 289 Posts

IMO the best way to go that doesn't require too much effort is to get ACA projector headlights from FIPerformance or Ebay (the $300+ ones, not the cheap $100 ones), the C5 retrofit bracket from Lightwerkz, and the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0s with 5500k bulbs and the XB50 ballast. Otherwise, get the Radioflyer ACA package, Luminators, or SLC. The cheap but mediocre HID option is JWM ACAs.

Also, whoever told you that doesn't understand things. The Corvette simply sits too low for brighter lights to "reduce" glare. Dump too much light on the ground right in front of the Corvette and you lose your long range vision, which is more important. A taller car can dump the light farther down the road and still have it reflect back to you because of higher angles. It's just the physics of it.

And no, you do not want HIDs in your high beams. The Bi-xenon functions of the Mini H1 7.0, Radioflyer ACA, and SLC are more than sufficient for high beam usage. Keep halogens in there, 9011 HIR bulbs for increased brightness (this is what I did) on the ACAs. Or use LED bulbs.

Last edited by Tsumi; 10-22-2017 at 03:44 AM.
The following users liked this post:
calguy (10-24-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 04:00 AM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Your posting comes at a perfect time. I, too, am also looking at options to brighten my headlights. It seems that HID is probably the way to go currently. My concern is the overall cost and complexity of the conversion process. I'd like to retain the factory headlight housing, if possible. I'm just wondering how much more of a power drain it would be on the factory electrical and additional heat the HIDs will create vs. the normal bulbs. I think that the normal bulbs are rated at 35 watts. I believe the HID kits draw power at 55 watts per side? Also, can any of the forum vendors confirm if there's warm up required to obtain maximum brightness in the HID systems? If so, what is considered normal warm up time? Will the headlight pop up feature be affected with the HID conversion process?
Old 10-22-2017, 04:15 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by avigar
Your posting comes at a perfect time. I, too, am also looking at options to brighten my headlights. It seems that HID is probably the way to go currently. My concern is the overall cost and complexity of the conversion process. I'd like to retain the factory headlight housing, if possible. I'm just wondering how much more of a power drain it would be on the factory electrical and additional heat the HIDs will create vs. the normal bulbs. I think that the normal bulbs are rated at 35 watts. I believe the HID kits draw power at 55 watts per side? Also, can any of the forum vendors confirm if there's warm up required to obtain maximum brightness in the HID systems? If so, what is considered normal warm up time? Will the headlight pop up feature be affected with the HID conversion process?
The stock 9006 (low beams) are rated at 55 watts each and 9005 (high beams) at 65 watts. 55 watt HIDs are not an additional burden on the electrical system except for the first startup second, and 35 watt HIDs will be lower burden.

ACA projectors will retain factory housing, you just replace the headlight part.

You will need to mount ballasts for HIDs, but other than that it is straightforward wiring.

You might run into an issue where your headlights do not close. There are four options in this scenario: 1. Push the stalk into highbeam position to lower them after turning off, 2. Run load resistors (not always guaranteed to work), 3. Use a custom made HCM following the guide of another member here, or 4. Splice in a relay setup to control the HCM.
​​​​​
Warmup time for HIDs is typically 3 to 10 seconds, depending on bulb and ballast.

Cost. About $350 for JWM ACA for mediocre projectors with no bi-xenon function. $650 plus shipping for Radioflyer ACA, good projectors with bi-xenon. $750+ (can be around $600 during sales) for the regular ACA + Lightwerkz bracket + Morimoto Mini H1 7.0, one of the best aftermarket projectors currently available, requires some work to change out the projectors.

Last edited by Tsumi; 10-22-2017 at 04:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
avigar (10-22-2017)
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM
MAC5
Drifting

Received 230 Likes on 148 Posts

I installed Radioflyers non bi-xenon ACA HID setup in my 98 back in late 2013. The kit uses 55 watt ballasts that eliminates the problem with the headlights not retracting when turned off. Warm up time on the low beam HID's is minimal. My set up uses halogen high beam 9005 bulbs so no issue with warm up changing to high beam. I also use the 4 way high harness. In all honesty I rarely even put the high beams on anymore. Installation difficulty I'd rate as 6 on a 10 scale. Pay attention to how the stock lights are installed (mechanical and wiring) take some "before" pictures prior to starting and take your time. I spent about 4-5 totals hours on the headlight upgrade. Take time planning your ballast mounting and harness routing. Do one side at a time. There are several kits and vendors out there, and several levels of quality between the kits. I started out with Radioflyers stuff years ago, and can say George sells and supports the best lighting upgrades out there if your looking for an all inclusive kit that has been proven to work on our cars. Good luck with your purchase and lighting mod's.
Attached Images  

Last edited by MAC5; 10-22-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 10:45 AM
aj98
Melting Slicks

Received 168 Likes on 137 Posts

I put in Radioflyer bi-xenon kit last winter...wish I'd done it years ago.
Old 10-22-2017, 12:11 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by MAC5
I installed Radioflyers non bi-xenon ACA HID setup in my 98 back in late 2013. The kit uses 55 watt ballasts that eliminates the problem with the headlights not retracting when turned off. Warm up time on the low beam HID's is minimal. My set up uses halogen high beam 9005 bulbs so no issue with warm up changing to high beam. I also use the 4 way high harness. In all honesty I rarely even put the high beams on anymore. Installation difficulty I'd rate as 6 on a 10 scale. Pay attention to how the stock lights are installed (mechanical and wiring) take some "before" pictures prior to starting and take your time. I spent about 4-5 totals hours on the headlight upgrade. Take time planning your ballast mounting and harness routing. Do one side at a time. There are several kits and vendors out there, and several levels of quality between the kits. I started out with Radioflyers stuff years ago, and can say George sells and supports the best lighting upgrades out there if your looking for an all inclusive kit that has been proven to work on our cars. Good luck with your purchase and lighting mod's.
Originally Posted by aj98
I have the same kit, plus I installed Morimoto ballasts, bulbs and component wirings. With the exception that the OEM (halogen) low beam wiring is opposite polarity, meaning you need to reverse plug the new HID wiring into the OEM wiring (won't clip so use electrical tape), it was pretty much plug-and-play. While you're at it, I suggest swapping out the OEM halogen fog lights as well. You will need HID ballasts for those as well.

I also added LED Halo rear tail lights, rear corner lights, and LED switchbacks for the front. It really modernized the C5 design.

Old 10-22-2017, 01:29 PM
calguy
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 96 Posts

Thanks to all that replied.

Sure gives me something to think about.

Bob.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:46 PM
avigar
Drifting

Received 263 Likes on 161 Posts

Thanks for the replies. In order to retain the original housings, HID projectors, special wiring harness, and 55 watt ballasts should do the trick and will retain the pop up feature. Should be all plug and play, correct? Will the 55 watt ballasts then be connected inline to the headlight wiring or draw separate power directly from the battery?
Old 10-22-2017, 01:49 PM
Tsumi
Drifting

Thanks for the replies. In order to retain the original housings, HID projectors, special wiring harness, and 55 watt ballasts should do the trick and will retain the pop up feature. Should be all plug and play, correct? Will the 55 watt ballasts then be connected inline to the headlight wiring or draw separate power directly from the battery?
You will need the ACA headlights in addition to the above. http://fiperformance.com/index.php?r...&product_id=51

You can wire the ballasts directly into the headlight wiring, but you will probably need to reverse the polarity.
Old 10-22-2017, 02:22 PM
Mickeyrx70
Melting Slicks

Received 680 Likes on 570 Posts

Old 10-22-2017, 04:14 PM
MSG C5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,682 Likes on 1,482 Posts
2022 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
Finalist 2020 C7 of the Year -- Modified
2020 C5 of the Year Finalist - Modified
C5 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019
2018 C5 of Year Finalist

Should all be plug-and-play. The HID ballasts should connect directly to the headlight wiring. Also purchase the "Four-On" harness from Radioflyer. You wire it into the battery den fuse box and it allows the HID lows and halogen highs to be on at the same time.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:49 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

There are several step by step posts on installing ACA headlights here on CF.
The best one, IMO, is by member Patches.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...otsa-pics.html

another,

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...s-of-pics.html

and many more,

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.j9Arsako_7s

Most of the current versions of the ACA housing no longer use the Phillips lamps and ballasts. But the instructions will still apply to current models.

I always use and recommend battery based relay wiring harnesses. They are reasonably priced and ensure that the proper voltage reaches your HID ballasts. Your stock headlight wiring is then only used as the switch source.

https://www.google.com/search?safe=a....0.sFEoSsb0ER4

Jim

Last edited by jrprich; 10-22-2017 at 04:58 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:43 PM
lane_viper
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 64 Posts

Please guys, Do not install HID's into headlights not designed for HID's.(factory headlight housings) This will be brighter, but will cause light to scatter everywhere, and possibly blind other drivers.

Pay the money for proper projector headlights to do it right.

I upgraded my headlights to the ACA's and it was really easy to do. Hardest part was the getting loose the bracket bolt with locktight.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:06 PM
jrprich
Le Mans Master

Received 213 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by lane_viper
Please guys, Do not install HID's into headlights not designed for HID's.(factory headlight housings) This will be brighter but will cause light to scatter everywhere, and possibly blind other drivers.

Pay the money for proper projector headlights to do it right.
AGREE !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-24-2017, 11:48 PM
TheRadioFlyer
Supporting Vendor

Received 630 Likes on 346 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. I have 2 sets of these that are ready to ship within 1 business day of ordering.
Old 10-25-2017, 12:38 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I have the JWM ACA Projectors, and I am not impressed with the light output as I have been lead to believe from reading here, nor am I impressed with the cleanliness of cutoff.

If I had to do it all over again, which is half of what I did... Eventually i'll do the rest
Buy an innovited HID kit, the kit is quality and the color ranges are exactly as described.
Buy the cheap $100 housings, take the projectors the come in them and throw them away.
Spend another ~$100 on decent Morimoto projectors that will bolt right in. There are tons with the exact same bolt pattern that drop right in.

Get notified of new replies

To Planning an HID conversion.

Old 10-25-2017, 12:47 AM
Tsumi
Drifting

Originally Posted by Shaolin Crane
I have the JWM ACA Projectors, and I am not impressed with the light output as I have been lead to believe from reading here, nor am I impressed with the cleanliness of cutoff.

If I had to do it all over again, which is half of what I did... Eventually i'll do the rest
Buy an innovited HID kit, the kit is quality and the color ranges are exactly as described.
Buy the cheap $100 housings, take the projectors the come in them and throw them away.
Spend another ~$100 on decent Morimoto projectors that will bolt right in. There are tons with the exact same bolt pattern that drop right in.
That's because JWM just uses the cheap halogen projectors the ACAs come with and rebased HID bulbs.

I don't think there are any projectors that will bolt right in. This bracket will allow you to use the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0s, which aren't exactly cheap at around $250 for a full kit. http://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/...1-bracket.html
Old 10-25-2017, 12:55 AM
Shaolin Crane
Melting Slicks

Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Tsumi
That's because JWM just uses the cheap halogen projectors the ACAs come with and rebased HID bulbs.

I don't think there are any projectors that will bolt right in. This bracket will allow you to use the Morimoto Mini H1 7.0s, which aren't exactly cheap at around $250 for a full kit. http://www.lightwerkz.net/index.php/...1-bracket.html
There's a sealed body Morimoto that will bolt in, I test fit them in a set of Ebay projectors before JWM posted a kit for cheap, and after ordering I wished I went with my original plan.

I have the exact one saved on my laptop but it was RS or RX 3.0

*edit*
I was thinking they were the FX-R 3.0 but those don't seem to match the ACA's, I didn't think there was a difference in the ones with a standard chrome ring(JWM/Radioflyer) and the Ebay sets with the angel eyes but guess I was wrong.

Last edited by Shaolin Crane; 10-25-2017 at 02:21 AM.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:25 PM
laurent_zo6
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 227 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22

Quick Reply: Planning an HID conversion.