Sponsored by:

CF lip kit

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 03:37 AM
Macc32SC
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CF lip kit

Hey guys im planning to order a Z06 this spring and I was jw if I need to order the CF lip kit on it or can I add it at a later date? Is there a nicer aftermarket one? Ive seen some with really aggressive lips is that Stage 2? 3? If I can add it at a later date there are a few for sale kind of close to me with what appear to have good deals going but they don't have the lip kit which I have to have!! lol

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2017, 07:07 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,626 Likes on 6,630 Posts

^^^
I believe your Z06 will come with what is called by some a "poverty" Splitter (it's called a Splitter NOT a lip!) That is more flexible than the Stage 2 option and is made of plastic. It does not look as good as the GM Stage 2 Splitter or most from the aftermarket. However, if damaged can be replaced for ~$100. The Z06 will also come with 3/4 length side skirts. They are shipped to the receiving dealer before the car arrives and then installed by them as part of the "dealer prep." GM pays them a fee for the install.

DETAILS:
For my Grand Sport I ordered the Stage 2 aero option to get full length carbon fiber Side Skirts. (I added full length carbon fiber side skirts to my 2014 Z51 to stop pebbles from hitting the rocker panels. I wanted the same rocker panel protection for the Grand Sport.) That same Stage 2 aero option is available for the Z06. The full length Side Skirts come with a carbon fiber Splitter and rear Spoiler Side Extensions. Mine are all painted carbon flash.

Watched as my Courtesy Deliver Dealer took more than an hour to drill holes and install 26 rivets for the Side Skirts. The C7 Tech had already installed the Splitter when I got there. That is a $2995 option. You can get them in a carbon fiber finish for $3995.

PROTECTION:
If my Splitter gets damaged it would cost >$1000 for me to replace! In fact, I had added an aftermarket carbon fiber Splitter to my 2014 C7 from "C7 Carbon" with a carbon fiber finish (to match my OEM Roof and carbon fiber Side Skirts.) It cost just over $500. However I did scrape the bottom edge several times. Did not repair the slight damage, which would not have been easy.

What to do with my Grand Sport carbon fiber Splitter? Decided to add a Splitter "protector" to help for minor scrapes. Not cheap but it has already paid for itself. This is a PDF with a description of what I used, my install and how it protected when I went down a steep driveway: http://netwelding.com/Splitter_Protectors.pdf

Note, whatever Splitter you decide it does stick out and is somewhat lower than the front bumper protrusion. It will scrape if you go up or down a steep driveway. You can control by avoiding steep driveways but my biggest concern is hitting an 18 wheeler tire tread on the interstate! Hitting that rubber could destroy it. A Spitter "protector" is of little help for that! I try NOT to drive behind a truck or large SUV where forward visibility of the road is blocked and they can just let the tire tread go under their vehicle!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-03-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:13 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts

Thanks for the info. My issue is the front, center rubber spoiler that bends and breaks on inclines, not necessarily the protection of the splitter and wings. I've repaired the spoiler twice by epoxying the broken tabs back on with additional hard rubber. Worked for a few months, then broke off again. Any suggestions?
Thanks.
Old 06-18-2018, 04:40 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^

The front air dam, to which I think you are referring, has been an issues since I got my C7 Z51 in October 2913. I knew it was coming without a center air dam as at the last minute Chevy was telling dealers not to add it! My C6 Z51 had one as does the base car. For two years there was a lot of "speculation" about why the Z51 did not have one, including some words by a GM engineer that referred to rear brake cooling!

Finally Tadge gave a clue and said it was because it was adding excess downforce at high speed and causing some oversteer when they design with some high speed understeer! That is mentioned in the Tadge response above to some degree.

I recently combined all of the GM statements in a PDF as it has been of interest to me since I got my C7 Z51. You may want to read it before removing them, which many do: http://netwelding.com/Air_Dam.pdf

Bottom Line and air dam reduces drag at highway speeds and up.. Does that reduce mpg 0.2 mpg or more-have no data?

It also provides downforce at speeds above ~100 mph that may be significant. It's not at 75 mph!

I keep my side air dams (as my Grand Sport doe NOT have a center air dam) because they do help reduce drag a bit by deflecting air around the front wheel opening and have no affect on downforce. They also are an early waning "curb feeler type device" that tell me the next lowest thing to hit would be the "skid pads!" When those thin aluminum square tubes hit it's a horrible noise that makes the rubber air dam noise sound like music! Been there done that!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-18-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-18-2018, 08:40 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

I had no idea some C7's are without the center air dam. My 2017 Grand Sport DOES have it, straight from the dealership. Both my C5 and C6 also had it.
I would think the air dam inCREASES drag, not reduces it, since splitters usually create downforce and downforce creates drag.
Old 06-19-2018, 11:27 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^

Yep, as the PDF is my post #4 above shows an air dam reduces the air going under the car that encounters the suspension, engine axles etc that create turbulence and drag.

This table outlines what cars get that center air dam. It's a bit confusing as some Grand Sports and Z06's do, some, like mine with a Stage 2 aero option don't. Only GM knows for shure why but I speculated some possibly reasons in the PDF.

Comparing Various Grand Sport and Z06 Variants as to Which Have Center Air Dams

GM Table

Last edited by JerryU; 06-19-2018 at 11:29 PM.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:39 AM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Thanks. This is mega helpful. what do you think about installing a front splitter on a standard GS without changing the rockers (mine are short) nor the wickers (mine are low). I would do it more because of (1) looks, because I don't like those front wings hanging out like that, and (2) protection of the front wings. Question is about changing the balance/stability of the car without having the full aero package. Note I don't track the car nor do I go much faster than 100. Well, rarely.
Thanks.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:40 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^

Doubt you would feel the difference under 100 mph. However, consider what you have now is what some call the plastic "poverty splitter" than can hit things with minor damage. If you hit an 18 wheeler tire tread on an Interstate it can be replaced for ~$125.

Add the carbon fiber GM Splitter, even painted carbon flash like mine, and it's a ~$1500 hit! I also added a Scrape Armor splitter protector-not cheap ~$500. In my case it has already paid for itself when I went down a step driveway-had no choice.

Here is a PDF of my install of the "Protector" and some pics below: http://netwelding.com/Splitter_Protectors.pdf

Scrape Armor Protector. Having scraped the C7 Carbon splitter I added to my Z51, wanted some protection for the Grand Sport.

Worth the cost when I went in a driveway at an angle very slowly to a parking lot in town-but no choice. cold not back out slow into traffic and went out front first. Scraper Armor protector scraped but fully protected the Splitter! Saved the day!

PS: If you're referring to the center and side "air dams" you won't feel anything if removed as far as car balance at 100 mph or less. But you will increase drag and decrease mpg at highway speeds perhaps a few 10ths. Many have done that. I don't have the center air dam but I keep the side air dams as they also provide and early waning the next thing to hit would be the aluminum tube "skid pads!" Did that on my C6 and added FANG Protectors to my 2014 C&. Hit those a few times and no damage!

Last edited by JerryU; 06-20-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 06-20-2018, 09:48 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Jerry, I find your posts very helpful and informative. But I'm confused. I don't have a stage 2 aero package on my 2017 GS, but am thinking about adding an after-market one up front. I believe it sits under the existing splitter that has the winglets. So does the Scrape Armor cover the added splitter, or does it take the place of it and protect the existing winglet splitter? Maybe a pic of your setup taken from a little farther back would help.
Thanks.
Old 06-21-2018, 12:41 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
It appears you have the Base GS. You then have a plastic, what some call a 'poverty spittler' because it is cheap. It does NOT stick down it is similar to my Stage 2 carbon fiber splitter. Yours does NOT have Winglets. Only hard material splitters can have Winglets. Winglets stick up from the splitter NOT down.
I believe what you are refereeing to is an air dam. Air dams are flexible plastic and only stick down NOT out. If you have the Base GS you have three. One long one I the center set back from the front (I do NOT have one of those.) You also have two side air dams (which I have as well.) I think you are referring to those as Winglets-they are not! I have some picks of my 2014 Z51 with an aftermarket splitter from "C7 Carbon."

The Scrape Armor splitter protector ONLY fits cars with a Stage 2/3 aero GM carbon fiber splitters (the finish can be either painted carbon flash or visible carbon fiber.) To my knowledge it will not fit aftermarket splitters.

Below are some pics of my 2014 that may help:

Above pic is a C7 Carbon aftermarket carbon fiber splitter I added to my 2014 Z51. Those extra pieces at the end "sticking up" are call winglets or end plates. Similar to what you see on the wing tips on most knew jet airplanes!

The pic below is what was under my 2014 aftermarket splitter and was there before I added the splitter! It sticks straight down and is called a side "Air Dam" It dams air from going under the car! That reduces drag. My 2014 nor my Grand Sport with the GM Stage 2 aero splitter that looks similar to this DID NOT AND MY GRAND SPORT DOES NOT HAVE A CENTER AIR DAM. BOTH ONLY HAVE THESE TWO SIDE AIR DAMS. It is what scrapes on the ground as it is lower than the splitter! (Note the splitter can hit IF the driveway is very steep. In my case the air dams scape if I exit my driveway quickly BUT the splitter never hits my driveway. In the very steep driveway in town both hit in my Grand Sport. Hope these pics help define a Splitter, Air Dam and Winglets that are on the ends of hard finish splitters (fiberglass or carbon fiber.) There are no Winglets on the plastic 'poverty splitter.' Air dams do not have winglets those on the side are called side air dams that divert ait around the open wheel wells and from under the tires etc.
T

Last edited by JerryU; 06-21-2018 at 01:06 AM.
Old 06-21-2018, 02:04 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
It appears you have the Base GS. You then have a plastic, what some call a 'poverty spittler' because it is cheap. It does NOT stick down it is similar to my Stage 2 carbon fiber splitter. Yours does NOT have Winglets. Only hard material splitters can have Winglets. Winglets stick up from the splitter NOT down.
I believe what you are refereeing to is an air dam. Air dams are flexible plastic and only stick down NOT out. If you have the Base GS you have three. One long one I the center set back from the front (I do NOT have one of those.)
I do not have the base GS, although what you may mean is the GS without add-on aero packages. I have a 2017 3LT GS. I'm clear on the terms of the splitter, air dam (of which I had 3 pieces but the center dam tore off as you know), and spoiler, but I thought the winglets were the two pointy things on the front bumper, shown below. Now I see the winglets are the aero features on each side of the front bumper. So to refine my question, I want to protect those pointy things from cars touching them or inadvertently bumping into something...the stage 2 aero package seems to extend further than the "pointy things" by an inch or so, so can I simply add an aftermarket one and not mess up on the air flow design? And, yes, I don't track my car but don't want to affect steering if I exceed 100 mph. I''ll hit 125 at the most, but not around curves.
Thanks.

Last edited by IAIA; 06-21-2018 at 04:03 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 05:02 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by IAIA
I had no idea some C7's are without the center air dam. My 2017 Grand Sport DOES have it, straight from the dealership. Both my C5 and C6 also had it.
I would think the air dam inCREASES drag, not reduces it, since splitters usually create downforce and downforce creates drag.
I presume your aero package is stage 1? That would be why you have the middle air dam.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:11 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by IAIA
So to refine my question, I want to protect those pointy things from cars touching them or inadvertently bumping into something...the stage 2 aero package seems to extend further than the "pointy things" by an inch or so, so can I simply add an aftermarket one and not mess up on the air flow design? And, yes, I don't track my car but don't want to affect steering if I exceed 100 mph. I''ll hit 125 at the most, but not around curves.
Thanks.
The last thing you want to protect the two points on the front bumper (that are a European requirement so if you hit a person it pushes them off to the side- stupid IMO) is a carbon fiber splitter! Carbon fiber is brittle and will crack! The one from GM is over $1500! Scrape Armor actually has a kit for a C7 without splitter but it only protects the bottom. No help for the front.

That center air dam decreases drag by reducing the turbulent air going over the bottom of the car hitting suspension, rear axiles etc. At 125 mph it will also provide downforce. Perhaps why GM dos not put a center air dam on my Stage 2 aero option that has a splitter.

Don't have data but the C7 has lift not downforce until you get to the Stage 2 aero package according to Tadge the chief Vette engineer.. Don't have the numbers but do on my old 260Z with a similar shape and was known to have considerable lift. The standard car produced about 140 lbs. of lift in the front and 35 lbs. in the rear at 70 mph. That was a lot for a 2700 lb. car. At 100 mph you could feel the front end become light and stability was inferior to that at normal highway speeds. I added a large front air dam and a rear spoiler (shown below.) The front air dam was advertised as adding 100 lbs. of downforce and the rear 35 lbs at 100 mph. It was very stable at even 120 mph!

Pic below shows a front air dam and rear spoiler similar to my 260Z.

Last edited by JerryU; 06-21-2018 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:06 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by joemessman
I presume your aero package is stage 1? That would be why you have the middle air dam.
I didn't even know I had an aero package, unless every model has one. Def don't have 2 or 3, so I suppose it's stage 1? I watched a YouTube today and they said all GS's have at least the short rocker and the aero under the splitter, but mine does not. It's an 3LT so shouldn't it have those "extras?" Heck, I would easily trade the Stage 2 aero for the "quilted" interior top! Y'think the dealer may have removed it before I bought it? Kinda doubtful guess.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 PM
IAIA
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by JerryU
The last thing you want to protect the two points on the front bumper (that are a European requirement so if you hit a person it pushes them off to the side- stupid IMO) is a carbon fiber splitter! Carbon fiber is brittle and will crack! The one from GM is over $1500! Scrape Armor actually has a kit for a C7 without splitter but it only protects the bottom. No help for the front.
I was just thinking replacing the splitter would be better than body work on the front bumper, esp. if I get something after-market.
BTW, who would you recommend for after-market splitters or side skirts for quality/price?

Last edited by IAIA; 06-21-2018 at 11:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To CF lip kit

Quick Reply: CF lip kit