C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

late build 77 interior light timer

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 06:29 AM
JillsVette
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default late build 77 interior light timer

Hi yall, new C3 vette owners Matt & Jill the C3 is Jills so I just get to do repairs.
​​​​​​​Recently replaced the under dash harness with a new unit.Amazing everything works now gauges lights heater ect.. The interior lights will come on when either door is opened and as long as the door is closed within 30 seconds the interior lights will quickly fade out. However if the door is opened for a few minutes the lights will not go out until the engine is started. Is this normal operation?
I have replaced both door switches. Driver side is the 3 pin type that is for the in-door alarm switch. Is the Alarm switch a common wear out item?
Old 01-20-2018, 10:19 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Default Hi and Welcome.

Originally Posted by JillsVette
However if the door is opened for a few minutes the lights will not go out until the engine is started. Is this normal operation?

No not normal.
The time delay relay has caused many problems
.Willcox has new ones or you can temporally bypass it by connecting the two white wire together.

Is the Alarm switch a common wear out item?
Door switches usually work ok unless they get bent or corroded.
The following users liked this post:
JillsVette (01-22-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 11:02 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

alarm switches usually will last a long time, but sometimes strange things happen to them. Does your car have a interior light delay switch(my 76 does not), then talk to some fellow 77 owners, they will chime in here before long.
Old 01-20-2018, 02:14 PM
mds3013
Melting Slicks

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Here is how it goes on my late '77. Door open and closed quickly lights go out after a short delay. Door open and closed a few minutes later they stay on longer. If battery is not fully charged delay will last much longer. With a slightly discharged battery I sometimes had to manually turn on courtesy lights at headlight switch then turn them off to get them to go off. With a fully charged battery I have no problems. mike...
JillsVette (01-22-2018)
Old 01-20-2018, 07:08 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

FOR WHAT THIS IS WORTH:

DOORS CLOSED:
1.) The interior light can be turned on by turning the **** on the headlight switch and off again.

DOORS OPENED:
1.) The interior lights will stay on until the door are closed. Then if it has a delay timer the lights will stay on until the doors are closed. IF it has a delay timer...the lights will stay on for about 30 seconds.

DOORS OPENED with engine running.

1.) The interior lights will stay on until the doors are closed. IF I am not mistaken..the lights should go out immediately and NOT have the 30 second time delay.

So...if your doors are opened for a period of time and when you shut them and the interior lights are not going out....then either....your jamb switches is not allowing the ground signal to get to the delay timer. Or your timer is getting heated up and failing.

DUB
JillsVette (01-22-2018)
Old 01-21-2018, 09:13 AM
lvmyvt76
Melting Slicks

Received 121 Likes on 118 Posts

Old 01-21-2018, 09:46 AM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 583 Likes on 504 Posts

I have a good timer from a 77 if anybody is interested send me a PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:11 PM
JillsVette
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks guys for all the suggestions. The car has most every option, Interior light timer, PS, PB, AC, Cruise, Power Windows, Heated Rear Window, Alarm switch in the drivers door. L48 Auto. For the most part its decent stock driver, aside from the wiring issues it looks to be all there.
The Interior light timer is the original, what I discovered today if I pull the Orange wire out of the BAT on the fuse box the interior lights work normal. So I will guess the Timer is at fault, not really looking to replace it any time soon it is in a bear of a location to get at. And I really don't want to take the dash apart again..

I have power to the alarm horn (orange wire) and then wire back to the relay but the alarm does not energize so I was thinking maybe its either the relay is bad or the in the driver door switch or harness may be worn or disconnected. Ill be taking the driver door apart soon to fix the window guides and rollers.

All that said will it be necessary to reconnect the Orange wire to BAT in the fuse box??

Get notified of new replies

To late build 77 interior light timer

Quick Reply: late build 77 interior light timer