C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

1965 c2 no front/ left turn signal power

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2018, 06:07 PM
brianebon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1965 c2 no front/ left turn signal power

The left front socket has no power but the rear signals quickly. I'm a new corvette owner and just took delivery. I have worked on quite a few old cars in the past. Does the pigtail from the socket unplug at the fender seal to probe. I don't want to damage by pulling! Any advice for trouble shooting would be appreciated!
Old 02-21-2018, 06:44 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 613 Likes on 368 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05, '09, '15

Yes it does.

Tom
Old 02-21-2018, 07:10 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

These type of questions are easy to answer but did you check the bulb? You might have power but a burnt out bulb or one that is needing to be cleaned. No way in knowing because you did not write any of what you have already done..if anything at all.

There are 3 wires that are in the harness that your turn signal attaches to.

One of then is a ground...one will be when your driving/running light is on..and the other one is for your turn signal.

Using a test light or volt meter you can check these at the connector that is in your cars wiring harness first....then connect back to your turn signal wiring and check it down at the light socket

DUB
Old 02-21-2018, 08:24 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

I agree with Dub, not enough information. Does the front left park light work properly? If so you don't have a ground problem. I'd put in a new bulb first, or switch side with the bulbs if you don't want to buy one.
The left front bulb signal voltage comes out of the turn signal switch on a light blue wire, goes through the left hand (closest to fender) firewall connector, up the left fender, through the connector under the left front fender, and then to the socket. Anywhere along that wire could be an open. The firewall connector is a possibility. The contacts in the turn signal switch are a good possibility.

If it was my car, I'd turn on the key and move the turn signal rapidly back and forth between neutral and left turn, looking for any sign of flicker. If none, leave the key on, put the turn signal in the left turn position and wiggle that firewall connector (just below the master cylinder, outermost connector) again looking for any kind of flicker. Then I'd wiggle the connector under the fender the same way. Then I'd wiggle the wires at the back of the socket and then the bulb itself. IF you get a flicker somewhere, that's where to start. Again, first thing I'd do is change the bulb.
Also check the connector coming out of the turn signal switch on the steering column above the brake pedal. It's a harmonica like plug, and it's possible the connector could be partially disconnected or a wire pushed out or contact corroded.
If you can't find anything that way, you could disconnect the harmonica plug and put a 12v source on the light blue wire and see if the bulb lights up. If it does, the problem is most likely inside the turn signal switch.
I had a similar problem that the bakelite portion of the socket with the contacts for the bulb was rotated within the socket. One contact was touching enough to work (park), but the other was not. I compared it to the driver's side and (with battery disconnected) used a small pair of needle nose pliers to reach in and rotate the inside portion to match the alignment of the passenger side, and it has worked ever since.

Good luck, and try the bulb first, could just be a worn "nub" on the bulb where it contacts the pins in the socket.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:55 PM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

I think he has already done some diagnosis.
Thread subject is:
1st line in the thread body says:
The left front socket has no power but the rear signals quickly.
His next check is:
Does the pigtail from the socket unplug at the fender seal to probe?

Seems like he is on the right path and already past checking the bulb.

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 02-21-2018 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:56 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Sky65
I think he has already done some diagnosis.
Thread subject is:
1st line in the thread body says:
The left front socket has no power but the rear signals quickly.
His next check is:
Does the pigtail from the socket unplug at the fender seal to probe?

Seems like he is on the right path and already past checking the bulb.

Tom
That's too many assumptions. I gave him all the information I could, IN ADDITION to trying the bulb. He certainly didn't say how he verified no power to the socket. When the front bulb is open for any reason the back flashes quickly. From Dub's (and my) reply, more information is needed to help. That starts with "what have you already tried, and how did you try it"? Does no power to the socket mean the park light doesn't work either? Doesn't say. Is it just the one connector for the turn signal with "no power" or both. If both, where did he have the ground connected?

He also said "any advice for troubleshooting would be appreciated"

Last edited by 65GGvert; 02-21-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 02-23-2018, 12:41 PM
brianebon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. I did check the bulb and socket (a bit corroded so I order new for both) and no current. I saw on a similar thread regarding the signal switch in the column. Lifting the lever resulted in it functioning. I removed the steering wheel and found that it had been replaced at some time with a low quality replacement! Any advice on where I might buy a quality replacement?
Old 02-23-2018, 06:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

So I assume you disconnected the park/signal wiring harness from the cars wiring harness and tested to see if you got current when you have you turn signal on???

If you are not getting power to that wiring harness connector on the correct wire.

Did you go down and check to see if you are are getting power at the turn signal switch connector for THAT wire that work that turn signal????

Reason being.,...it would really suck if you replace the turn signal switch only to find out that you had a problem somewhere else.

DUB
Old 02-23-2018, 11:29 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Originally Posted by brianebon
Thanks for the response. I did check the bulb and socket (a bit corroded so I order new for both) and no current. I saw on a similar thread regarding the signal switch in the column. Lifting the lever resulted in it functioning. I removed the steering wheel and found that it had been replaced at some time with a low quality replacement! Any advice on where I might buy a quality replacement?
If putting pressure on the turn signal stalk made the turn signal work properly, you most likely do have bad contacts in the switch. I don't know any place to get a quality replacement. Anyone???
Old 02-24-2018, 10:40 AM
Sky65
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

That’s not unusual for aftermarket switches. I don’t know of one that’s better than the rest. Someone else may. Rather than replacing the switch sometimes you can bend the little contacts and repair them. Small needle nose plyers and a real small screwdriver. Worth a try. Pull the steering wheel then operate the swt. You may see what you need to do.

Tom

Last edited by Sky65; 02-24-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 02-24-2018, 11:02 AM
SonnyAK
Melting Slicks

Received 676 Likes on 412 Posts

Originally Posted by Sky65
That’s not unusual for aftermarket switches. I don’t know of one that’s better than the rest. Someone else may. Rather than replacing the switch sometimes you can bend the little contacts and repair them. Small needle nose plyers and a real small screwdriver. Worth a try. Pull the steering wheel then operate the swt. You may see what you need to do.

Tom
I was able to flex my contacts into the proper positions when having similar issues with my '66. Take your time and I bet you can get yours to work properly too. I remember finding a photo on a thread of the proper alignment of the tabs, so hopefully you can locate it. I used to have it saved, but can't seem to find it right now. Sadly so many of the current replacement parts for our cars are a bit sub-par. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Here's the link with a photo:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...t-66-vert.html

Last edited by SonnyAK; 02-24-2018 at 11:34 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1965 c2 no front/ left turn signal power

Quick Reply: 1965 c2 no front/ left turn signal power