Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Bilstein shocks

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 05:39 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 219 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Default Bilstein shocks

Maybe one of you Z06 owners can answer this. I want to replace my shocks in my '06 Z06. I do have the car lowered on WCC bolts but Bilsteins website has different shocks for lowered by cutting springs or not lowered.

Is the part number I need 24-029773 front and 24-029780 rear? Any help is appreciated!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:44 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

Call or go on line, you want the doug rippie Motorsport bilsteins, valved for our cars. They make runs every now and again, have to call to see if in stock...
Old 03-17-2018, 06:15 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by psp6158
Call or go on line, you want the doug rippie Motorsport bilsteins, valved for our cars. They make runs every now and again, have to call to see if in stock...
Ok thanks I'll check on them.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
Ok thanks I'll check on them.
You should be able to find the Doug Rippie site. They have a contact email and phone number. They are very good about responding. I know they still had some in stock a short while ago when I ordered mine: DRM valved Bilstein sports. You will have option of adding Darlin bushings. I suggest you get them.

DH
Old 03-17-2018, 07:24 PM
pokerpro
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

2015 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
You should be able to find the Doug Rippie site. They have a contact email and phone number. They are very good about responding. I know they still had some in stock a short while ago when I ordered mine: DRM valved Bilstein sports. You will have option of adding Darlin bushings. I suggest you get them.

DH
Yes I did check out their site and will take your advise and call them Monday and order a set. Thanks for the info on this.
Old 03-17-2018, 07:39 PM
Gearpuller
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by pokerpro
Yes I did check out their site and will take your advise and call them Monday and order a set. Thanks for the info on this.
I have been running the DRM Bilsteins for about 1 year and very happy with them. You will notice a difference right off.

When I installed mine it took about 50 miles to settle down back to ride height. My car has not been lowered.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:39 PM
rabrooks
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie

DH
How do these shocks feel on track compared to stock. The shocks are one of the things I haven't upgraded yet. I drove a Posche on track to compare it to my car. My car felt better in every aspect except one. The porsche felt more connected to the road, especially through bumps at high speed. I want to create that feel and contact (traction) in my car

Sorry for the highjack
Old 03-18-2018, 01:50 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by rabrooks
How do these shocks feel on track compared to stock. The shocks are one of the things I haven't upgraded yet. I drove a Posche on track to compare it to my car. My car felt better in every aspect except one. The porsche felt more connected to the road, especially through bumps at high speed. I want to create that feel and contact (traction) in my car

Sorry for the highjack
I have installed the DRM's on both my Z06's for what thats worth. Can't say they will make your car feel like a Porche but haven't heard of anyone who didn't feel an improvement with them.

DH
Old 03-18-2018, 02:43 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

They make the rear end feel more planted and firm up the ride a little.

That being said, only complaints I've heard is they hurt 60fts and straight line, as they are valved for more turning/etc than traction. Some people have had wheel hope issues off the line with them. Then again almost everyone doing them isn't doing them for a straight line upgrade, but be aware of that.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:44 PM
psp6158
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 228 Likes on 177 Posts

While I don't track my car, I can tell you high speed turns are flawless, car will not budge, sway or move like OEM's, and I didn't think they were bad. You won't regret them, one of the top bang for your buck modifications here on the forum. Up there with MGW shifter, different tires than good years etc
The following users liked this post:
rabrooks (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 03:19 PM
nuke61
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rabrooks
The porsche felt more connected to the road, especially through bumps at high speed. I want to create that feel and contact (traction) in my car
I don't know if the DRM valved Bilsteins will give you the feel of the Porsche you compared it to, but it will be noticeably better on high speed turns with a bump or bumps in the turn. My experience is not on a track, but taking high speed turns on freeways, and specifically, over expansion bumps on connectors. In SoCal the connectors are pretty smooth, but here in the Phoenix metro area they are horrendous. Previously, I would swear that the rear of my car would actually take a step sideways over the larger bumps, but not with the DRM Bilsteins.
The following users liked this post:
rabrooks (03-18-2018)
Old 03-18-2018, 04:35 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by Unreal
They make the rear end feel more planted and firm up the ride a little.

That being said, only complaints I've heard is they hurt 60fts and straight line, as they are valved for more turning/etc than traction. Some people have had wheel hope issues off the line with them. Then again almost everyone doing them isn't doing them for a straight line upgrade, but be aware of that.
Just did an AutoX last weekend. First time with DRM on this car. Did not notice any difference in wheel hop. If I don't execute proper launch with stock shocks or DRM I get wheel hop. I was told by a competition racer that the real cure for wheel hop is getting some special rear A-arm bushings. Also the different diameter offset axel shafts they put on the ZR1 really helps. Supposedly my 2006 is not able to accept this upgrade.

DH
Old 03-18-2018, 05:02 PM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Yep, 2006-2007 have different spline axles.

Either way, for straight line, some don't like the DRMs. Several have posted how it hurt 60'. While they are a great upgrade, just be aware of how you are using them and the downsides as well as the upsides.

I far preferred my viking DAs for my use, but I don't auto-x or road course stuff in the vette.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:57 AM
Apocolipse
Le Mans Master

Received 1,284 Likes on 929 Posts

Why delrin > rubber? How is the longevity of the material after bottoming the shock out a few times?

Get notified of new replies

To Bilstein shocks

Quick Reply: Bilstein shocks