C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Where/How to push a C7 Z06 without power

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2018, 10:19 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Where/How to push a C7 Z06 without power

I'm going to be pushing my C7Z06 onto a car trailer soon (without Engine Power) and will take at lest 3 to 4 people to push onto trailer... Question is, where are good places to push this car?? Are there any solid structural places on the rear of the car?? I know the front A-Pillar with the windows down is a solid structure but you can only get one person on each side. Any other solid body structures that would not damage the car?? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2018, 05:04 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Good place to push it? Take it down to McDonalds and push it through the drive through. They'll probably get a kick out of it.

On a serious note, you mentioned the A-pillars and I'm with you there. Don't think I'd like folks pushing on the back end. If it's an open trailer, maybe pop the back and see if you can get a handhold on the C-pillars. That's going to be a weird angle but may work. Another thought would be to get a tow hook and come along and winch it in.

Mike
Old 03-18-2018, 07:04 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdubfalco
I'm going to be pushing my C7Z06 onto a car trailer soon (without Engine Power) and will take at lest 3 to 4 people to push onto trailer... Question is, where are good places to push this car?? Are there any solid structural places on the rear of the car?? I know the front A-Pillar with the windows down is a solid structure but you can only get one person on each side. Any other solid body structures that would not damage the car?? Thanks in advance.
No offense, and not trying to be a smart ***, but I would use some form of winch (winch, come along, block & tackle, ...) and a towing bridle like Foosh posted in another thread, before pushing on one of these.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596742886

You do mention this not being immediate (ie, it's not on the side of the road).

While knowing where you can safely push your 'Vette is good knowledge to have, it's better in my mind to use the hardware I describe as if something goes wrong, you can stop immediately.

Try getting multiple people to unexpectedly stop, all at the same momemt.

It doen't work so well, ask me how I know.

Last edited by Nexxussian; 03-18-2018 at 07:06 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:38 PM
Widgeon5
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 95 Posts

I often move the car a short distance by pushing at the top of a tire. It's a little awkward but does give you a 2:1 mechanical advantage.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:33 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Originally Posted by Nexxussian
No offense, and not trying to be a smart ***, but I would use some form of winch (winch, come along, block & tackle, ...) and a towing bridle like Foosh posted in another thread, before pushing on one of these.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1596742886

You do mention this not being immediate (ie, it's not on the side of the road).

While knowing where you can safely push your 'Vette is good knowledge to have, it's better in my mind to use the hardware I describe as if something goes wrong, you can stop immediately.

Try getting multiple people to unexpectedly stop, all at the same momemt.

It doen't work so well, ask me how I know.
Thanks for posting the link! Very informative. I'm actually thinking about actually postponing the tow until I purchase the tow bridle since there's no rush. The only thing I can think of now is making sure I'm there to ensure the tow guy hooks to the appropriate location on the chassis. I'm sure everything will work out just fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:40 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Originally Posted by mcoomer
Good place to push it? Take it down to McDonalds and push it through the drive through. They'll probably get a kick out of it.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hahaha

On a serious note, you mentioned the A-pillars and I'm with you there. Don't think I'd like folks pushing on the back end. If it's an open trailer, maybe pop the back and see if you can get a handhold on the C-pillars. That's going to be a weird angle but may work. Another thought would be to get a tow hook and come along and winch it in.

Mike
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree... C-pillars are something someone can get some mustard behind.. the rear bumper is just a flimsy piece of plastic. From my experience; when I wash the car and put some elbow grease on the rear valance area you can feel the panel flex.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:59 AM
Floridamark
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a tow hook and winch it up from there.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-19-2018, 09:33 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Buy a wench, install on trailer, buy a tow eye. Problem solved.
Old 03-19-2018, 05:57 PM
Mick14
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

This is what I use on my enclosed trailer with winch. It is about a foot or two in front of the splitter.
Amazon Amazon
Old 03-19-2018, 09:32 PM
bsedwebt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

How do you get an automatic to move without starting it? I have put my foot on the brake and tried to move the shifter but it will not go into N. When the start button is touched it starts the car but I just want to push it around in the garage without starting it.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:47 AM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Originally Posted by Mick14
This is what I use on my enclosed trailer with winch. It is about a foot or two in front of the splitter.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I'm definitely going to hve to order this.. Your'e like the 5th person who's linked this part...

I had my car towed today, (it's a manual) the first tow truck company (to their credit) attempted and said no... the slitter was getting too close to the chain: we both greed and he went on his way.. The 2nd driver got me to my destination (although it was hairy) I felt like a crossed a 2x4 bridge onto the flatbed.... never again though. I felt fortunate not to suffer damage and realized just have the proper tool and be done.

Rich,
Old 03-20-2018, 01:51 AM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Originally Posted by bsedwebt
How do you get an automatic to move without starting it? I have put my foot on the brake and tried to move the shifter but it will not go into N. When the start button is touched it starts the car but I just want to push it around in the garage without starting it.
Good question..
I'm a manual, all I had to do was release the E-brake and that had me paranoid.
I wanna say most auto cars have some kind on over-ride tool to allow the gear selector to change gears.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:38 PM
bsedwebt
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have found out that you push the start button for 7 seconds without touching the brake pedal and it goes into diagnostic mode. This will allow use of the shifter as hoped. After done moving the car just push the start button again without touching the brake pedal to get it out of diagnostic mode. If you leave in diagnostic mode it will kill the battery after a few hours.
Old 03-21-2018, 06:21 AM
mcoomer
Burning Brakes

Received 211 Likes on 154 Posts

Link to a thread with info on a bridle and J-hooks that guys are ordering from an eBay seller. Less than $50 I think.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-tow-hook.html
Old 03-23-2018, 02:51 AM
Nexxussian
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts

Thanks for posting the link! Very informative. I'm actually thinking about actually postponing the tow until I purchase the tow bridle since there's no rush. The only thing I can think of now is making sure I'm there to ensure the tow guy hooks to the appropriate location on the chassis. I'm sure everything will work out just fine, but it's better to be safe than sorry.
Happy to help.

Get notified of new replies

To Where/How to push a C7 Z06 without power

Quick Reply: Where/How to push a C7 Z06 without power