C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

C2 convertible top rear bow install - help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 11:18 AM
GarysLee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default C2 convertible top rear bow install - help!

Hi there.
Am installing a new convertible top on my 66.
I have a question regarding the installation of the rear bow top material and the weatherstrip. Do both the top material and the weatherstrip fit into the slot on the underside of the rear bow?

Do either require glue?
Thanks much, gary
Old 03-22-2018, 11:50 AM
Bluestripe67
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,466 Posts
C2 of the Year Finalist - Modified 2020

I'm not really sure about the conv top. I do know that the weatherstrip gets tucked into the lowest groove of the frame. I'm sure it will be your last effort and when you do it, center it up and use a dull object to push the retainer strip into the grove as you work your way outward. Trim the ends if necessary. I'm sure one of our CF members can speak too the conv issue. Dennis
Old 03-22-2018, 04:54 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Received 538 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by GarysLee
Hi there.
Am installing a new convertible top on my 66.
I have a question regarding the installation of the rear bow top material and the weatherstrip. Do both the top material and the weatherstrip fit into the slot on the underside of the rear bow?

Do either require glue?
Thanks much, gary
Yes they both go into the groove. No you don't need glue in that area.
Install the top material first. The bead will go in a the groove and tuck out of the way. Then install the w/s with the plastic filler bead. Use a little WD 40 to help it slide in.
The way I do it is to install about 8" on one side with an old piece of w/s
Then go the the other side and start with the new w/s and work your way over pulling out the temp w/s following with the new w/s.
I modified a flat blade screwdriver by cutting a horizontal groove in the blade to press in the plastic filler.
Hope this helps.
Old 03-22-2018, 05:05 PM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

There are actually two groves. One faces rear, and one faces up. Here is my attempt at a picture/diagram. You first put the top welt into the rear facing grove. A big screwdriver "twisting" usually will set it (no glue). Then put the "rope" into the weatherstrip, and push it in (very hard to do).

The following 2 users liked this post by mike coletta:
Bluestripe67 (03-22-2018), eyedocs96 (03-22-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 05:17 PM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Originally Posted by mike coletta
There are actually two groves. One faces rear, and one faces up. Here is my attempt at a picture/diagram. You first put the top welt into the rear facing grove. A big screwdriver "twisting" usually will set it (no glue). Then put the "rope" into the weatherstrip, and push it in (very hard to do).

Nicely explained, Mike.
The following users liked this post:
mike coletta (03-23-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 09:01 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

I just have one thing to add . If you haven't already bought your rear bow weatherstrip , don't buy the cheap import part . They can be impossible to get into the groove . If you buy a good quality part ( Corvette Rubber ) and put a little WD-40 on the strip it will go right in .
Old 03-22-2018, 09:33 PM
GarysLee
Intermediate

Ok - great, now I understand how it fits together!
Thank you very much.
The one page al knock top install sheet says remove the rear bow, fit the top material & weatherstrip to the bow, then reinstall the bow.
Is that really necessary? I would rather not remove the rear bow.
Gary
Old 03-23-2018, 04:38 AM
mike coletta
Safety Car

Received 1,067 Likes on 513 Posts

Thank you very much.
The one page al knock top install sheet says remove the rear bow, fit the top material & weatherstrip to the bow, then reinstall the bow.
Gary
It is VERY hard to get the rubber/rope pushed in. I do it "ON" the car to get perfect centering, but it is much easier on a bench, especially if you've never done one. The key is to get the top material dead center. If it's 1/4" off, you'll have wrinkles in the sail panels.
Old 03-23-2018, 06:53 AM
woodsdesign
Safety Car

Thank you very much.
Gary
It is easier to poke a hole in you top when you install it without taking the bow off the car. It is only four screws.
As pp said, the canvas has to be centered. Measure as AK says and mark both sides. Then install on the bench. The challenging part is to get the marks line up while installing.
It is well worth the $ to buy the install video and study it before you start.JMO
The following 2 users liked this post by woodsdesign:
marshal135 (10-30-2022), mike coletta (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 08:27 PM
GarysLee
Intermediate

Thanks for the advice. I will take it off!
Old 03-25-2018, 10:07 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by woodsdesign
It is easier to poke a hole in you top when you install it without taking the bow off the car. It is only four screws.
As pp said, the canvas has to be centered. Measure as AK says and mark both sides. Then install on the bench. The challenging part is to get the marks line up while installing.
It is well worth the $ to buy the install video and study it before you start.JMO
I agree with buying the video if you have never installed one . I don't like Al Knoch tops but his video will help someone doing a first time install .

Get notified of new replies

To C2 convertible top rear bow install - help!

Quick Reply: C2 convertible top rear bow install - help!