C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing new Kenwood stereo in my 2011

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 08:20 PM
bruno06
Burning Brakes

Received 150 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Installing new Kenwood stereo in my 2011

From the info on Critchfield site install is plug and play with optional adaptors. I’m getting the ddx6904s. No nav, no xm. Want to use steering wheel controls and hooking up a back up camera.

Is it truly plug and play? Is it a simple install or an all day affair.

Also looking for suggestions on routing wires for back up camera. I ordered one that mounts to the license plate frame.

Thanks in advance
Old 03-22-2018, 09:19 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 72 Posts

I have the Kenwood. Very nice. Take it to Best Buy. Around 200 bucks for install and well worth it. If it don't work they fix it free. Plus if you need to add to it they have the stuff in their computer and know what you have and what you can add. I always did my own stereo installs but realized it was not worth the time. I was an Avionics Tech for Sikorsky Helicopter for for 11 years. Did 4 years as a control tower tech in USAF. Still not worth doing it myself. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:35 PM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

I'd get the navigation unit. Nice to not have the phone and wires all out.
Old 03-22-2018, 09:54 PM
zzjakect
Pro

One wire to iphone that also charges it. Plus it is always up to date. Nav units are old school.
Old 03-22-2018, 10:11 PM
RyanT
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts

I just finished installing a pioneer unit with front and rear cameras in my 2011. I got it from Crutchfield. I ordered the PAC adapter and the Metra mounting kit from them. The PAC let’s you keep the steering wheel controls. It’s easy to install and Crutchfield’s tech support is top notch if you have questions. I’ve got very bad OCD and other than engine work I don’t like other people messing with my car plus it’s winter so it was a nice winter project.

For the rear camera I would just pull all the carpet out of the rear. Then run the video wire and power wire for the camera to the head unit. Pull the plastic cover that runs by the passenger seat and run the wires behind the carpet on the floor. Then you can easily fish the wire up into the dash behind the head unit. Shoot me a PM if you have more questions and I’ll be happy to answer them. I could get more detailed but I’m typing this on my phone and it sucks.

Good luck.

Ryan
Old 03-22-2018, 11:12 PM
jdvann
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by zzjakect
One wire to iphone that also charges it. Plus it is always up to date. Nav units are old school.
Unless you need true GPS...lots of areas out west there is no cell coverage.
Old 03-23-2018, 02:00 AM
fireparamed
Advanced

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvann

many of the newer smartphones have standalone gps chips and can download large (state size) maps which allows them to function quite well without cell tower reception, so it’s really not that big of an issue anymore.
The following 2 users liked this post by fireparamed:
sd45t2 (02-03-2021), zzjakect (03-23-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 04:08 AM
mikecronis
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by fireparamed

many of the newer smartphones have standalone gps chips and can download large (state size) maps which allows them to function quite well without cell tower reception, so it’s really not that big of an issue anymore.
Very big issue in Colorado and most of the Western states. No cell coverage 10 miles east or south of Colorado Springs for instance. Sometimes you get an analog signal from the early 1980's. Many can't even get internet access except for Hughes Net, a combination of land-line dial-up and satellite downlink (56k).
Old 03-23-2018, 07:33 AM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Not if you travel in areas that have cellular dead zones.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:05 AM
Elijah71
Burning Brakes

Received 102 Likes on 72 Posts

A few years back when I got my Kenwood head unit I made sure it had its own Nav because my GPS in the phone stopped working because the software was outdated (Galaxy S3). With it built into my Nav I know it works. Maps may get a little dated but I can always buy the new maps.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:10 AM
3rdlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doubt built in nav is not a NEED but it certainly is helpful. Depending on how one integrates their phone to their system some or all of these may apply-
Ability to take a call and not lose directions, or tap the nav while you are talking to your friend and give them an ETA
Ability to use any other function of the phone and not lose instructions (Google, email, etc.) Parked of course, don't be that guy!
Phone stays charged. Sure one can overcome this easily, but one extra cable is still an extra cable.
Phone stays in pocket rather than flopping around or adding a cradle to the car
Nav battery is never low
Nav instructions louder than phone
You can never forget or lose your built in nav
Screen is likely larger on a HU than a phone and always in the same place which is easy to glance at.
With built in nav one can turn their phone completely off and enjoy their ride or the company in the passenger seat!!!!
Old 03-23-2018, 08:11 AM
bonnell
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jdvann
That is true here in East Tennessee and along the Tail of the Dragon. I like both phone and internal nav.
Old 03-23-2018, 08:15 AM
BigB72
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I installed my Pioneer head unit and backup camera and it was pretty much plug and play . Wasn't too hard to install . I just took my time and no issues.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:37 AM
fireparamed
Advanced

Originally Posted by mikecronis
Very big issue in Colorado and most of the Western states. No cell coverage 10 miles east or south of Colorado Springs for instance. Sometimes you get an analog signal from the early 1980's. Many can't even get internet access except for Hughes Net, a combination of land-line dial-up and satellite downlink (56k).
Which is why you use your iPhone with Google maps and you DOWNLOAD the entire state. I fly in a medical helicopter in Utah and often find myself in mountain areas with no cell signal, but my iPhone still receives GPS from its built in chip and I've downloaded the maps for the entire State of Utah....you just need to do it ahead of time and then it re uploads every 30 days to keep the maps up to date.

So the technology is there....even in dead zones you just have to know how you use it.

I promise, you can download a larger area than the area that has no cell coverage.
The following users liked this post:
GRCTampa (04-02-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 10:54 AM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Make sure get bluetooth and rear camera, I also installed Sirius radio, haven't listen to regular radio in years.

I would say to get it done by professional's that know what there doing.

Last edited by 1bdvet; 03-23-2018 at 10:57 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 03:46 PM
fireparamed
Advanced

Originally Posted by 3rdlight
No doubt built in nav is not a NEED but it certainly is helpful. Depending on how one integrates their phone to their system some or all of these may apply-
Ability to take a call and not lose directions, or tap the nav while you are talking to your friend and give them an ETA
Ability to use any other function of the phone and not lose instructions (Google, email, etc.) Parked of course, don't be that guy!
Phone stays charged. Sure one can overcome this easily, but one extra cable is still an extra cable.
Phone stays in pocket rather than flopping around or adding a cradle to the car
Nav battery is never low
Nav instructions louder than phone
You can never forget or lose your built in nav
Screen is likely larger on a HU than a phone and always in the same place which is easy to glance at.
With built in nav one can turn their phone completely off and enjoy their ride or the company in the passenger seat!!!!

That's one of the best things about the new apple car play/android auto.....it is native support for your phone so I can leave the phone in my pocket and use Bluetooth to connect and very my turn by turn directions and answer the phone and listen to Pandora.....if I plug it in to my USB I can leave it in the center console with no cords showing and have the maps show on my head unit with the exact same functions as built in nav.....plus I can speak to Siri and have her find directions and phone numbers etc for me.
Old 03-23-2018, 04:49 PM
3rdlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's one of the best things about the new apple car play/android auto.....it is native support for your phone so I can leave the phone in my pocket and use Bluetooth to connect and very my turn by turn directions and answer the phone and listen to Pandora.....if I plug it in to my USB I can leave it in the center console with no cords showing and have the maps show on my head unit with the exact same functions as built in nav.....plus I can speak to Siri and have her find directions and phone numbers etc for me.
Very nice system you have there . That level of phone/head unit integration pretty much covers all I would need too. I will keep that in mind when I shop for a head unit. I do however think the folks who live or drive in poor coverage areas would benefit from built in nav. Others suggested downloading Google offline maps, but those expire every couple months. Kind of a pain.

Get notified of new replies

To Installing new Kenwood stereo in my 2011

Old 03-23-2018, 06:52 PM
zzjakect
Pro

Originally Posted by Corvette_Ed
Not if you travel in areas that have cellular dead zones.
Just download the map before you leave. Why is this so complicated. LOL.
The following users liked this post:
Bruster (03-30-2018)
Old 03-23-2018, 06:54 PM
zzjakect
Pro

I know we are an older crowd and change comes hard. But even the most basic new head units can do all the above.
Old 03-23-2018, 07:00 PM
Corvette_Ed
Race Director

Received 2,843 Likes on 1,801 Posts

Just download the map before you leave. Why is this so complicated. LOL.
Because I don't have to.

Quick Reply: Installing new Kenwood stereo in my 2011