C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who has a roll cage?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 04:07 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Received 865 Likes on 601 Posts

Default Who has a roll cage?

Curious how many out there have done a roll cage in their C7? How is the fit and finish? Do you also run a harness? Anyone run a harness without competition seats?
Old 04-18-2018, 07:01 PM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

sub’d
Old 04-19-2018, 11:07 AM
Fast6.3
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
sub’d
I am also interested been looking at the rpm rollbar
Old 04-19-2018, 11:19 AM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

I haven't done one since my C4 days, but I will say that I had a swing-out door bar that I made removable for the street, and that was a good idea.

So, for a cage on the street:

1) Removable door bar
2) KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR HEAD. You don't want to brain yourself on the thing in a street accident where you're not wearing a helmet.
Old 04-19-2018, 11:30 AM
FYREANT
I'm Batman..
Pro Mechanic
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 908 Likes on 561 Posts
Tech Contributor

Originally Posted by DAVE396LT1
I haven't done one since my C4 days, but I will say that I had a swing-out door bar that I made removable for the street, and that was a good idea.

So, for a cage on the street:

1) Removable door bar
2) KEEP IT AWAY FROM YOUR HEAD. You don't want to brain yourself on the thing in a street accident where you're not wearing a helmet.
So really a roll bar with door extensions and NOT a cage as the cage will go over the door area next to your head.. lol
Old 04-19-2018, 12:45 PM
davepl
Le Mans Master

Received 1,500 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by FYREANT
So really a roll bar with door extensions and NOT a cage as the cage will go over the door area next to your head.. lol
You're right, what I had was a 5-point "bar" and not a cage. Whatever it took to run 11s in a coupe in the 90s.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:11 AM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

yea the 6 point RPM bar has the side bars that open and close if you want. My other question is the harness and what everyone is running.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:27 PM
Cordes Performance Racing
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,228 Likes on 775 Posts

the rpm setup that they show on the white car is the one we built forever ago. Fits perfect and we have in house installed probably 8 with no issues. I run their setup on my c5 and we have a few c6's with their 8.5 legal cage too.
www.facebook.com/cordesperformanceracing.com
joe@cordesperformanceracing.com
480-359-5914

Old 04-27-2018, 10:13 AM
Fast6.3
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

How safe would the rpm bar be on a street accident
Old 04-27-2018, 10:35 AM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,930 Likes on 5,334 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
Curious how many out there have done a roll cage in their C7? How is the fit and finish? Do you also run a harness? Anyone run a harness without competition seats?
Sort of depends on what you mean by roll cage. I don't think of the ones mentioned in this thread as cages but roll bars with added forward support. They don't do a thing to support the A pillar in a roll over so aren't much more useful than the stock halo. The roof supports will be within a couple of inches of the occupants head and should be covered with high density roll bar padding. On the street they could be serious head knockers in an incident if a helmet isn't worn.

A true cage will support the A pillars/roof and may have door bars that protect from side impacts. Race harnesses shouldn't be used with the GT seat since the opening is too narrow to permit proper installation of the shoulder harnesses. Race harnesses can be used with the Comp Seat as long as the person is ~ 5 ft 11 in or shorter. Above that height the harness openings in the seats are too low.

If you go to the point of installing a cage you might as well go all the way and install proper race seats.

Bill
Old 04-27-2018, 10:49 AM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Customer who owns the white road race build we did recently wanted a roll bar so we made a few of them. My phone crashed so I don't have pictures of that one installed but here is what it looks like in our red straight line car. Full cage is something we're capable of if you're wanting to go all out.

Old 04-27-2018, 12:33 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Joe@CPR
the rpm setup that they show on the white car is the one we built forever ago. Fits perfect and we have in house installed probably 8 with no issues. I run their setup on my c5 and we have a few c6's with their 8.5 legal cage too.
Joe what are people doing for a harness with the RPM setup? Anyone running a harness without the competition seats? Any pics to share?
Old 04-27-2018, 12:34 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
Customer who owns the white road race build we did recently wanted a roll bar so we made a few of them. My phone crashed so I don't have pictures of that one installed but here is what it looks like in our red straight line car. Full cage is something we're capable of if you're wanting to go all out.

How much is this Dane?
Old 04-27-2018, 12:47 PM
Mike Jesse
Burning Brakes

Received 266 Likes on 196 Posts

I personal wouldn't install anything other than a full cage with the halo and forward kicker bars into the footwell. An added rocker bar on both sides would also be a plus.
IMHO if you are adding a cage, it's just become a race only car that will not be street driven.
I've owned and driven cars with 6 point and full cages on the street, not real practical.
As mentioned adding approved padding does help, but you can still get your bell rung pretty good without a helmet.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:00 PM
Dane@LGmotorsports
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 641 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by C7&7
How much is this Dane?
I'll check Monday. The one pictured is for the black Nurburgring car but we're in the process of making more.

Last edited by Dane@LGmotorsports; 05-11-2018 at 07:10 PM.
Old 04-28-2018, 10:50 PM
Jan_N
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Schrott ASM 4 point

Lots of opinions on this but I run a harness bar with the Schrott ASM. I’m 5’ 10” so that works for me. I think the ASM is actually a better option if you do not run a full cage. At least it will allow you to move your upperbody diagonally forward in case of a crash and the ASM feature deploys. You do need the competition seats or if you are taller than6 feet or so a racing seat.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:08 PM
Rdubfalco
Pro

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill Dearborn
Sort of depends on what you mean by roll cage. I don't think of the ones mentioned in this thread as cages but roll bars with added forward support. They don't do a thing to support the A pillar in a roll over so aren't much more useful than the stock halo. The roof supports will be within a couple of inches of the occupants head and should be covered with high density roll bar padding. On the street they could be serious head knockers in an incident if a helmet isn't worn.

A true cage will support the A pillars/roof and may have door bars that protect from side impacts. Race harnesses shouldn't be used with the GT seat since the opening is too narrow to permit proper installation of the shoulder harnesses. Race harnesses can be used with the Comp Seat as long as the person is ~ 5 ft 11 in or shorter. Above that height the harness openings in the seats are too low.

If you go to the point of installing a cage you might as well go all the way and install proper race seats.

Bill
This sounds like the way to go^^, if your'e gonna do it, do it right, no sense in skimping out on safety. You only get one life to live

Rich

Get notified of new replies

To Who has a roll cage?

Old 04-29-2018, 03:16 PM
C7&7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Dane@LGmotorsports
I'll check Monday. The one pictured is for the black Nurburgring car but Lou mentioned we may nix that and just do a harness bar to keep weight low so it'd be available.
Awesome yea let me know man. I’m interested in it. Assuming it’s chomoly?
Old 04-30-2018, 06:19 PM
Floridamark
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

sub’d
Old 05-01-2018, 09:29 AM
TXGS507
Race Director

Received 1,679 Likes on 1,135 Posts

And their local Timmy... Sounds like you need to make a trip to Anna...

Quick Reply: Who has a roll cage?