C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

[C2] Break light issue....need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:35 PM
Taymax
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Break light issue....need help

So...I have a 64 coupe.
Went to get it inspected and found out the passenger break light is not working. Running light works, blinker works but break light does not work. Checked the bulbs and all is good. Giggled the turn signal arm to see if it was a centering problem...(read that this might be an issue)...no change.

i assume that since the running light and the blinkers work its not a ground issue?

Any ideas before I start disassembing everything to find a needle in a haystack?

Old 04-19-2018, 08:28 PM
dkleather
Melting Slicks

Received 334 Likes on 261 Posts
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Did you check inside the bulb socket for corrosion? Make sure the socket is clean and contact buttons are in good shape. Adding a little solder to the bulb contacts can help. Some bulbs nowadays don’t have enough solder on the bottom of the bulb to make good contact.
The following users liked this post:
Taymax (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:15 PM
65GGvert
Team Owner

Received 3,220 Likes on 2,302 Posts

Trust me on this, if turn signals work the ONLY thing that will cause ONE brake light to work and the other not is the contacts inside the turn signal switch. For a quick check, leave ignition off, step on brake and move turn signal to left and right. The brake light should go off on the side you are turning to, back to center or other side and it should come back on. When you are moving the turn signal switch (again with brake on and ignition off) if you see any flicker of the brake light on the side that doesn't work that confirms where your problem is. I'll attach a picture of the inside of the switch to show you which contact isn't making. It is BRAKE in case you are googling prior issues just like yours. "break" may not take you there.
IF the turn signals both work the wiring, bulbs, grounds, filaments are all good. Brakes and turn signals share the same path. It is inside the turn signal switch. One end or the other of the contact with the red circles is not touching when turn signal switch is in the center.

Taymax (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:19 PM
kellsdad
Melting Slicks

Received 771 Likes on 402 Posts

65GGvert is right.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:40 PM
F4Gary
Le Mans Master

Received 776 Likes on 469 Posts
2018 C3 of Year Finalist
2016 C3 of the Year Finalist

*brake*
The following 3 users liked this post by F4Gary:
davekp78 (04-20-2018), Easy Rhino (04-19-2018), mike coletta (04-20-2018)
Old 04-19-2018, 09:48 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

Originally Posted by kellsdad
65GGvert is right.
Yes, he is.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:08 AM
Taymax
5th Gear

Thank you for the info. I tired moving the turn signal to see if any contact could be made. I will take the switch apart and check to ensure that correct contact is being made.
Yes...”brake”....I guess I was just needing to take a “break” from pulling my hair out.
Again...thank you and will let you all know what I find.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:30 PM
Taymax
5th Gear

Originally Posted by 65GGvert
Trust me on this, if turn signals work the ONLY thing that will cause ONE brake light to work and the other not is the contacts inside the turn signal switch. For a quick check, leave ignition off, step on brake and move turn signal to left and right. The brake light should go off on the side you are turning to, back to center or other side and it should come back on. When you are moving the turn signal switch (again with brake on and ignition off) if you see any flicker of the brake light on the side that doesn't work that confirms where your problem is. I'll attach a picture of the inside of the switch to show you which contact isn't making. It is BRAKE in case you are googling prior issues just like yours. "break" may not take you there.
IF the turn signals both work the wiring, bulbs, grounds, filaments are all good. Brakes and turn signals share the same path. It is inside the turn signal switch. One end or the other of the contact with the red circles is not touching when turn signal switch is in the center.

thanks you again. Issue resolved.

after taking the steering column apart to get to the signal switch, I could not see anything physically wrong with the connections. Sprayed the part down with some electric part cleaner and with a pick moved and tested all the contact points....then it started working.

Thanks again!!
Easy Rhino (04-20-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Break light issue....need help

Quick Reply: [C2] Break light issue....need help