C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes and power bleeding them. Using a motive power bleeder.

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:44 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Received 298 Likes on 212 Posts

Default Brakes and power bleeding them. Using a motive power bleeder.

Last summer I redid my brake system, everything new. Lines,calipers, pads, rotors and master. bled the brakes by the pump method and everything was fine. Brakes worked great. Last winter I redid the whole rear suspension and also added Wilwood replacement calipers. Bled the brakes using the pump method and had a nice pedal. Pulled it out of the driveway brakes seemed fine. Drove a few hundred feet and stepped on the brakes and it went right to the floor. I figured maybe there was still air in the system. I ordered a Motive power bleeder. Pumped it up to 10 pounds and bled the brakes. Got a flow out of most of the bleeders, some squirted and others just dribbled out but there was no evidence of air. Checked the pressure and it was the same. But when I looked under the car there was a puddle of brake fluid on the floor. I tried it again and went around and bled the brakes. Same thing pressure held and puddle on the floor. I was using 2 welding/vice grip clamps to hold the top in place.
I called Motive and he thinks the rear seal on the master went. The paint on the bottom of the booster is gone like the master was leaking. I got another master and will put it on Thursday and yes I will bench bleed it.

Any ideas, anyone have a problem like this.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:06 PM
TimAT
Le Mans Master

Received 424 Likes on 385 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I ended up using a couple of c-clamps to hold the lid on the m/c. I filled the motive bleeder the first time I used it, now I just use it as an air pressure source to the top of the m/c. Less messy.
IIRC, there's something odd you need to do with Wilwood calipers for bleeding. Like remove one of the mount bolts and tip the bleeder screw so it's 100% the highest point. Not sure, you might ask around. I'm sure someone has had to do that or something with the Wilwoods.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:08 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
added Wilwood replacement calipers.
I have wilwoods D8-4 all 4 corners.

First problem you will have is the wildwood calipers on the rear of the corvette will never bleed all the air out. The angle of the calipers allow air to be trapped at the top of the pistons. The only way to bleed the calipers ( after a new install ) is to remove the caliper from the mounts, stand them upright , place a block between the pads 1.25" same as the width of the rotor. Then bleed them. Once all the air is out then you should not have to do this again.

As for the motive bleeding I use this method to pressure bleed.

Now to make sure I don't empty the MC, I have a 6 ft length of tubing attached to the bleed screws, I bleed the full length of the tube (follow the air bubbles in the tube) 3 times and then refill the MC.

Then once you have the calipers completed, you might try this since you replaced all the brake system at some point.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cylinder.html

Last edited by cagotzmann; 04-26-2018 at 01:11 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Street Rat (05-03-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 12:22 PM
0Todd TCE
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 90 Posts

Like it or hate it...you'll have to place the rear caliper in a vertical manner to be assured all the air is bled out. Even under pressure of a bleeder the crowns of the pistons can retain an air bubble in the horizontal position. Tipping them vertical places the bleed nipple at the very top where it's most effective. *Place some wood between the pads for this exercise so not to extend the pistons. Future flushing won't require that- assuming no air has been introduced to the system you can "bleed" (ie. flush) fresh fluid horizontally.

Last edited by Todd TCE; 04-26-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 01:31 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

with the dribbling instead of squirting, that is an issue. I would say the M/C is bad as you have a puddle and paint coming off from the leak. I would remove it and look for the leak, either rebuild it or replace it. They arent expensive which is nioce
Old 04-26-2018, 02:59 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Installed a new master today and bench bled it. Pressurized the system and the calipers were squirting now. Even the rear ones were getting a nice flow. None of the calipers had any evidence of air in the stream. Went around twice but still have a spongy pedal. I guess I will bite the bullet and remove the rear calipers. I will get to it Friday.
Old 05-06-2018, 02:54 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Took the rear calipers off and brought them vertical as much as the brake line would let me. Pressurized the system and bled everything. Pedal still spongy. Very frustrating. Next up rebleeding the master. I bench bled it but now will do it on the car.
Old 05-06-2018, 04:08 PM
CA-Legal-Vette
Race Director

Received 318 Likes on 269 Posts

Originally Posted by 540 vette
Took the rear calipers off and brought them vertical as much as the brake line would let me. Pressurized the system and bled everything. Pedal still spongy. Very frustrating. Next up rebleeding the master. I bench bled it but now will do it on the car.
Sorry to hear that you still have a spongy pedal and yes, very frustrating.

Don’t know if it’s true for Willwood calipers but I’ve had issues with the cast iron ones with bubbles adhering to the surfaces. A little banging with a block of wood seemed to help.
Old 05-06-2018, 06:15 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by CA-Legal-Vette
Sorry to hear that you still have a spongy pedal and yes, very frustrating.

Don’t know if it’s true for Willwood calipers but I’ve had issues with the cast iron ones with bubbles adhering to the surfaces. A little banging with a block of wood seemed to help.

I tapped them with a rubber mallet. I got nice streams of fluid out of each bleeder. I'm going to redo the master.
Old 05-06-2018, 07:28 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Just FYI. I pressure bled my Wilwood calipers with my home-made pressure-bleeder filled with DOT-3 and pressurized to 10-15 psig. Bled just fine and pedal is still hard and firm 5 years and 9 months later. I haven't even gotten around to "vertically" re-bleeding the rears because they're so nice and firm. Just info to inform that I did not have problems bleeding wilwoods.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:47 PM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

not that this would fix your issue, but I remember reading where a member had to raise the front end to get all the air out of the master cyl. It seems at normal ride height the master was slightly pointed down and there was still air trapped in the back of the master cyl. Raising the front until the master had a slight up attitude and then rebleeding it fixed his issue.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:26 AM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by metal tech
not that this would fix your issue, but I remember reading where a member had to raise the front end to get all the air out of the master cyl. It seems at normal ride height the master was slightly pointed down and there was still air trapped in the back of the master cyl. Raising the front until the master had a slight up attitude and then rebleeding it fixed his issue.
The other way around, lift the back end of the car like this.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-cylinder.html
Old 05-07-2018, 03:16 AM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by carriljc
Just FYI. I pressure bled my Wilwood calipers with my home-made pressure-bleeder filled with DOT-3 and pressurized to 10-15 psig. Bled just fine and pedal is still hard and firm 5 years and 9 months later. I haven't even gotten around to "vertically" re-bleeding the rears because they're so nice and firm. Just info to inform that I did not have problems bleeding wilwoods.

Before I tried the vertical bleed on my rear wilwoods I was also getting a nice stream out of them. I just did it to see if it would work. It didn't make a difference.
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (05-16-2018)
Old 05-07-2018, 04:48 AM
metal tech
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

Thanks Cagotzmann for correcting my error.
Old 05-09-2018, 08:59 PM
540 vette
Race Director

The pedal seems fine until I start the car, then it goes to the floor. Everything is new. Including the booster.
Old 05-10-2018, 05:54 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Pressurized everything today. Bled the master by opening the fittings. Went all around and bled every caliper. No luck.

Raised the back of the car and got the master level like in the video. No luck.

Little history...all new stock calipers. New master and booster. All new lines except the one that went from the front to the back. Brakes worked perfect. Also went from auto to manual brake pedal setup. Maybe the rod is not the same....just grasping at straws now.

Changed the calipers to the Wilwoods. Replaced the front to rear line. Can't get a pedal. Put another new master. No luck.

Last edited by 540 vette; 05-10-2018 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:35 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Went thru everything again today. I am going to put another new master in tomorrow. I just ordered it from auto zone.

I am getting a steady stream from the calipers, no leaks.

If the new master dosen't work the car will just sit for now. I have a ton of other things I need to do.

Get notified of new replies

To Brakes and power bleeding them. Using a motive power bleeder.

Old 05-16-2018, 03:20 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Went thru the brakes again. Took the rear ones off stood them straight up and gravity bled them, then power bled them, then had my daughter pump the brakes. No difference. Went thru this 2x.

Bled the front ones, gravity then power then pump method.

Put a new master on. Gravity bench bled it, raise the back up like in the video with the level and pumped it until all bubbles out. Installed on car, no difference.

The brake pedal is firm until I start the car once started it goes to the floor. I am going to try bleeding them with the car running.

I have been working on care for 45 years, professionally and my own stuff and have never had this problem with the brakes like this.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:18 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,292 Likes on 3,919 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I just reread all your problems and its a difficult problem for sure. If you have a firm pedal and everything goes to hell when you start it I would look at the booster again.... maybe its miss adjusted or bad from the factory?????

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-16-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:30 PM
540 vette
Race Director

Originally Posted by Rescue Rogers
I just reread all your problems and its a difficult problem for sure. If you have a firm pedal and everything goes to hell when you start it I would look at the booster again.... maybe its miss adjusted or bad from the factory?????

New booster. Bad booster would give you a hard pedal. Everything was fine, I had brakes when I had my stock calipers. I changed the calipers and the line from front to rear. All fittings are tight, if they weren't I would have a leak from it. The only thing that I didn't do was put teflon on the threads of the fittings into the calipers. But I called Wilwood and they said it shouldn't be a problem.

I don't know if the adjustment is needed. I went from auto pedal assembly top manual. I don't know if there would be a different rod or adjustment.

Quick Reply: Brakes and power bleeding them. Using a motive power bleeder.