C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on moving the engine down and to the left in the frame.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 06:31 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Default Opinions on moving the engine down and to the left in the frame.

I meant to the right in the header.

I as said here before, the engine and tranny, including headers and exhaust, in my 75 Vert are the same ones that I had in my 80 Vette before stuck a stock motor and tranny in and sold it. It all fit in the 80 without any issues whatsoever.

In the 75 Vert the left header flange and exhaust pipe are up against the drivers side floorboard in one place. The exhaust ports are raised on my Brodix heads, so this is the source of the issue. The header are pretty close to the Steeroids bracket also.

I have about 3/8" I can go down if I also move the engine to towards the passenger side about the same amount. I have tons of room on the passenger side to do this.

The mounts are solid, so this would be easy to modify them. It would actually make my vertical alignment of the driveshaft better too. the slight horizontal alignment change wouldn't be very drastic. I have a BTO crossmember that would be easy to modify if I needed to.

The benefit would be to lower the center of gravity and move some weight towards the light side of the car.

What do you think?

Mike

Last edited by v2racing; 04-26-2018 at 06:36 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 10:47 PM
ezobens
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Seems like a LOT of work just to get your headers to fit.
Just sayin’
Old 04-26-2018, 10:58 PM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

Originally Posted by v2racing
I meant to the right in the header.

I as said here before, the engine and tranny, including headers and exhaust, in my 75 Vert are the same ones that I had in my 80 Vette before stuck a stock motor and tranny in and sold it. It all fit in the 80 without any issues whatsoever.

In the 75 Vert the left header flange and exhaust pipe are up against the drivers side floorboard in one place. The exhaust ports are raised on my Brodix heads, so this is the source of the issue. The header are pretty close to the Steeroids bracket also.

I have about 3/8" I can go down if I also move the engine to towards the passenger side about the same amount. I have tons of room on the passenger side to do this.

The mounts are solid, so this would be easy to modify them. It would actually make my vertical alignment of the driveshaft better too. the slight horizontal alignment change wouldn't be very drastic. I have a BTO crossmember that would be easy to modify if I needed to.

The benefit would be to lower the center of gravity and move some weight towards the light side of the car.

What do you think?

Mike
If it's easy enough, I don't see why not. I've raised a 351 to clear tie rods before a tad.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:51 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 882 Likes on 767 Posts

Just modify the exhaust system to fit. If you can do all the other things, then modifying the exhaust system to fit will be easy and quick and you won't affect a bunch of other related and/or attached systems.
Old 04-27-2018, 12:45 AM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 416 Likes on 337 Posts

Moving the engine 3/8ths of an inch to the right and down is easy and won't cause you a problem. The stock engine location is already sitting on about an inch offset to the right and since you have custom motor mounts and have figured the oil pan will clear everything on the drop I would go for it. Since you won't be moving the transmission mount over you might want to look at how close the fan is to the shroud and things like that up front as it's sitting further forward than the engine mount position and will be more of an offset than 3/8ths of an inch measured at the mount.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 04-27-2018 at 12:50 AM.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:20 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

How much lower? How low is your sump? I have a 1/2" lower than stock sump, and I've grounded it a few times - my car is low though. Otherwise why not, if it looks like the best option, but I agree that changing the exhaust would probably be simpler.
Old 04-27-2018, 01:52 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

The headers are ceramic coated so heating them up to bend the collector down is out of the question. The oil pan is a 6 quart stock 7" depth so it's not an issue. Other things hanging lower. I have electric fans and there is nothing else that would be affected by moving the engine down and over. Like I said, it will actually make the driveshaft angle better.

Even the air chamber in the L88 hood will still be OK. The hole that sits over the L88 base on the carb was made to big by the manufacturer, so I need to rework it a little anyway.

I have done a lot to stiffen this frame up and upgrade the suspension to improve handling. I'm thinking lowering the center of gravity and moving weight to the lite side of the car will only make it handle better.

Mike
Old 04-27-2018, 02:34 AM
Metalhead140
Drifting

Received 472 Likes on 344 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared) 2019

Definitely. Sounds like you've thought it through.
Old 04-27-2018, 10:08 AM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,330 Likes on 1,058 Posts

I was able to elongate the engine mount frame holes to move my motor down and over. I thought that was easier than cutting and welding on my old thicker morroso gold anodized solid motor mounts. I did it to get the 2.5 degree angle on the drive shaft. My custom tranny cross member has elongated holes for positioning the tail shaft. I machined an aluminum block spacer to get the correct tranny tail shaft height

Last edited by gkull; 04-28-2018 at 06:10 PM.
The following users liked this post:
v2racing (04-27-2018)
Old 04-27-2018, 12:08 PM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by gkull
I was able to elongate the engine mount frame holes to move my motor down and over. I thought that was easier than cutting and welding on my old thicker morroso gold anodized solid motor mounts. I did it to get the 2.5 degree angle on the drive shaft. My custom tranny cross member has elongated holes for positioning the tail shaft. I machined an aluminum block spacer to get the correct height
Those are the same motor mounts I have. I should have this thing running within the next couple weeks. I'll get it back over to my friends so I can get it up on the lift and eyeball out my options.

Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Opinions on moving the engine down and to the left in the frame.

Quick Reply: Opinions on moving the engine down and to the left in the frame.