C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'79 front bumper cover removal

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2018, 03:40 AM
Julius Rosenthal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default '79 front bumper cover removal

So I'm trying to get the paint repaired on my 79. Took it to the shop and after getting some estimates I decided I would try to keep the price down by removing the front bumper cover myself. I couldn't find all too much information out there, how difficult is it to remove this cover? Anyone have a guide or some reference pics, tips/suggestions? Any hardware I should expect to have to replace? Am I in over my head? Currently I'm away from home but I'd like to know what I'm in for once I get back.

Last edited by Julius Rosenthal; 05-26-2018 at 03:42 AM.
Old 05-26-2018, 08:35 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Do you have the 79 AIM? It can help.

Old 05-26-2018, 10:28 AM
A88FXRS
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

no biggie !! small hands required in some areas and some time. maybe 1.5 hrs
Old 05-26-2018, 10:35 AM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Just be aware that the studs can SNAP off in a second due to they are 10-32 threads on them.

Whatever you do..TRY to keep all of the nuts that hold it on due to being special spinning washer nuts.

A 6 point 3/8"ocket is what I use so I do not round off the nuts due to they are shallow.

I also go in with a Q-Tip and will apply some penetration oil on the threads of the studs. I do no go in and spray the stuff all over the place.

I not typing out the entire process. But If you PM me I can give you my shop number and you can call me when you are ready. That is the best I can do on this.

DUB
Old 05-26-2018, 11:31 AM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

It is easier to remove some of the nuts securing the top of the bumper accessing them from the top. To do this, raise the headlights and remove the bezels. Then you can reach the nuts in front of the headlights. The nuts on the upper side of the bumper and the center of the bumper, you have to remove by feel, as you cannot see them.
Old 05-26-2018, 12:03 PM
DUB
Race Director

Hmmmm....Interesting. I always got them off from under the car or through where I had removed the park grilles. Because you have to get under the car to get to the center nuts anyway.

I do agree that raising the headlight doors a must. But I generally do not remove the headlight bezels due the two machine screws that hold the bezel on at the top are well know to want to snap off. Getting to the two nuts right in front of the headlight bezel is do-able from the park grille area.

DUB
Old 05-26-2018, 05:29 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Julius Rosenthal
So I'm trying to get the paint repaired on my 79. Took it to the shop and after getting some estimates I decided I would try to keep the price down by removing the front bumper cover myself. I couldn't find all too much information out there, how difficult is it to remove this cover? Anyone have a guide or some reference pics, tips/suggestions? Any hardware I should expect to have to replace? Am I in over my head? Currently I'm away from home but I'd like to know what I'm in for once I get back.
I had snapped most of the studs so I needed to buy new retainers. As DUB mentioned, use penetrating oil.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:43 PM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by Domobomb
I had snapped most of the studs so I needed to buy new retainers. As DUB mentioned, use penetrating oil.
Actually. I have not purchased a retainer in so long due to I knock out the factory stud and weld/braze in a new 10-24 machine screw.

Keep in mind that I work on Corvettes that are not in salt. So about 98% of the time the retainers are in very good condition.

DUB
Old 05-27-2018, 09:34 AM
mark79,80
Melting Slicks

Received 181 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by DUB
Hmmmm....Interesting. I always got them off from under the car or through where I had removed the park grilles. Because you have to get under the car to get to the center nuts anyway.

I do agree that raising the headlight doors a must. But I generally do not remove the headlight bezels due the two machine screws that hold the bezel on at the top are well know to want to snap off. Getting to the two nuts right in front of the headlight bezel is do-able from the park grille area.

DUB
I am a novice home mechanic at best, and not a professional like yourself and greatly appreciate your contributions to the forum.

The reason I remove the headlight bezels, is that on the cars I have removed the bumpers, is because I am going to repaint them. So I need to remove the bezels anyway so I can apply a fresh coat of paint while they are off the car. Your right it is very easy to snap off the upper screws and I have done that.
I find it is easier for me to reach thru the headlight openings then reach up thru the grill area to gain access to the retaining nuts.
Once I remove the headlight bezel retaining screws, I use a generous coating of anti-seize so I can remove them again for changing a headlight when needed.

I have also managed to snap the machine screws off the bumper retainers when removing the nuts. I don't have a welder so have used a bubba technique for installing new machine screws: I purchased some carriage style machine screws. I then knocked out the remaining portion of the factory machine screws and pressed in the new machine screws. Since they have a square flange as part of the head they stay in position on the factory retainer.

Last edited by mark79,80; 05-27-2018 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-27-2018, 10:28 AM
DUB
Race Director

Originally Posted by mark79,80
I am a novice home mechanic at best, and not a professional like yourself and greatly appreciate your contributions to the forum.

The reason I remove the headlight bezels, is that on the cars I have removed the bumpers, is because I am going to repaint them. So I need to remove the bezels anyway so I can apply a fresh coat of paint while they are off the car. Your right it is very easy to snap off the upper screws and I have done that.
I find it is easier for me to reach thru the headlight openings then reach up thru the grill area to gain access to the retaining nuts.
Once I remove the headlight bezel retaining screws, I use a generous coating of anti-seize so I can remove them again for changing a headlight when needed.

I have also managed to snap the machine screws off the bumper retainers when removing the nuts. I don't have a welder so have used a bubba technique for installing new machine screws: I purchased some carriage style machine screws. I then knocked out the remaining portion of the factory machine screws and pressed in the new machine screws. Since they have a square flange as part of the head they stay in position on the factory retainer.

I was not saying that how you did it is wrong. I was just letting people know that IF they are not painting the car...the headlight bezels do not have come out. Because as you know those machine screws can snap off and that is just one other thing that will need to be fixed.

The reason I weld or braze the new machine studs in the retainer is so they can not back out of the retainer and spin. Thus making it harder to try to get the nut back off. I have tried the carriage bolt style and still had to tack weld or braze them on to the retainer due to the numerous times I put on and take of a fiberglass bumper when I am fitting it up. IF they are not welded to the retainer..they will get loose and cause for problems.

DUB
Old 05-27-2018, 10:42 AM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,698 Likes on 2,938 Posts

If you are new to the corvette and not real sure of what it takes to disassemble or reassembly one (like me and many others) order a shop manual and AIM for your year through one of the forum vendors, and it will give you expert instructions and illustrations.
DUB, is an expert on this forum, helps many members, and you can always rely on his help and advise.
Old 05-28-2018, 08:38 AM
Julius Rosenthal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the great responses! Ordering an AIM Manual and looking forward to tackling this project as soon as I get home.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:48 PM
Priya
Le Mans Master

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To '79 front bumper cover removal

Quick Reply: '79 front bumper cover removal