C7 General Discussion General C7 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New guy from Eastern PA, with questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2018, 04:01 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 42 Posts
Default New guy from Eastern PA, with questions...

Hi All,

I've been lurking for some time, as I am getting my ducks in a row to purchase a 2017+ Z06 M7. I am currently in the process of privately selling my 2010 Camaro SS, but I am anxious to join the Corvette community. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could entertain to help me in my pursuit:
  1. I had been planning to purchase lightly used for budgetary reasons, but I've come across a new 2018 Z06 1LZ M7 that appears to be a solid deal and I'm fighting the urge to make a move on it. I had not planning on purchasing until Q1 2019 when I think the announcement of the mid-engine car is going to knock C7 prices down further. I've gotten the dealer down to $71k (MSRP is $82k) because he's sitting on a lot of inventory. Being that this is below dealer cost and the car is optioned pretty much exactly as I would build a new one, it is attractive, but it is at the top end of my budget. Should I stick with my original plan or jump on this opportunity?
  2. Do any of you have recommendations for a transporter that would deliver in PA, should I need one?
  3. Do any of you have recommendations for a detailer / installer for Xpel or Suntek in eastern PA?

Any other words of wisdom you might have for me would be greatly appreciated.....
Old 07-14-2018, 04:47 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,457 Likes on 14,057 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moving this to C7 General.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:12 PM
mschuyler
Safety Car

Received 3,818 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Frankly, i do not believe $71K on an $82K MSRP is a very good price. I think you can do better.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:23 PM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,936 Likes on 4,815 Posts

Not too bad a discount for a new Z, Intercity is a very good transporter. If the price fits somewhat comfortably in your budget I would buy it. Yes there are many other deals out there that will follow in this thread. Myself if I find what I want and the deal is fair I get it versus doing a bunch of searching for that best deal. Good luck.
The following 2 users liked this post by dvilin:
intercity lines (07-16-2018), NA FURY (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 05:27 PM
Baltimoron
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by CalculatingInfinity
Hi All,

I've been lurking for some time, as I am getting my ducks in a row to purchase a 2017+ Z06 M7. I am currently in the process of privately selling my 2010 Camaro SS, but I am anxious to join the Corvette community. I have a couple of questions that I was hoping you could entertain to help me in my pursuit:
  1. I had been planning to purchase lightly used for budgetary reasons, but I've come across a new 2018 Z06 1LZ M7 that appears to be a solid deal and I'm fighting the urge to make a move on it. I had not planning on purchasing until Q1 2019 when I think the announcement of the mid-engine car is going to knock C7 prices down further. I've gotten the dealer down to $71k (MSRP is $82k) because he's sitting on a lot of inventory. Being that this is below dealer cost and the car is optioned pretty much exactly as I would build a new one, it is attractive, but it is at the top end of my budget. Should I stick with my original plan or jump on this opportunity?
  2. Do any of you have recommendations for a transporter that would deliver in PA, should I need one?
  3. Do any of you have recommendations for a detailer / installer for Xpel or Suntek in eastern PA?

Any other words of wisdom you might have for me would be greatly appreciated.....
i could be wrong, as I’ve not shopped for a Z06, only a stingray, but I believe Kerbeck, which isn’t too far from you, as well as MacMulkin and Criswell all offer 12-13% off msrp. That would put you below 70 for a 2019. Also, I think there’s a good chance you’re right about the midengine announcement effecting prices.
Old 07-14-2018, 05:40 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,842 Likes on 5,646 Posts

I'd seriously consider it. Regardless of Model Year, MSRP or Discount, there's not a lot of (if any) NEW Z06s on dealer lots for under $71K, Kerbeck or MacMulkin the two largest don't have any.
Also, consider doing yourself a favor and rid yourself of all the potential C7 delivery drama, and just hire Intercity. May be slightly higher than some haulers, but worth every penny of what they charge.

Last edited by Kevin A Jones; 07-14-2018 at 06:08 PM.
The following users liked this post:
intercity lines (07-16-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 06:36 PM
Dave@Ciocca
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1,656 Likes on 393 Posts

Welcome to the forum (as a non-lurker)!

Check out this:
https://kerbeck.com/corvettes/2019-c...lz-new-g19582/

$72,600 for a 2019 as opposed to $71,000 on a 2018. Not only is it a year newer, but it's painted in the new paint shop. Plus, since you can drive to Atlantic City from Eastern PA, you save the cost of shipping. Also, our rate of 2.14% for 72 months (if you qualify) would probably make the payment on this less than the 2018 and maybe even some used 2017s since the rate goes up on used. I have that same car is Arctic White, Torch Red and Black all at the same price.

Reach out and let me know if you have any questions. I'll be back in the office on Monday!

Dave
America's Corvette Dealership

email - dsalvatore@cioccadealerships.com
Showroom - 609-344-2100. Ext 1022
Text - 856-535-0407

Follow Ciocca Corvette on Instagram!

Last edited by Dave@Ciocca; 07-14-2018 at 06:37 PM.
Old 07-14-2018, 06:42 PM
MHE-Plex
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 115 Posts

welcome! MacMulkin and Intercity freight for me. I had never heard of either of them until I started lurking here. Perfect experience with them.
The following 2 users liked this post by MHE-Plex:
intercity lines (07-16-2018), NA FURY (07-14-2018)
Old 07-14-2018, 07:29 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,486 Likes on 1,948 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think you really have the answers in just the posts above mine. Take your pick especially if, as you say, you've been lurking here for quite awhile. And if you have, you can judge the competency of all above and their veracity.

One thing you know but didn't mention: of course the price MAY go down by Jan/Feb, 2019--some/all of the cars, like '18s are 6 mos.older. So is the '19. And yes, it is possible the ME announcement will come then, but you don't know that for a fact---is that going to be your pacing item? What if no announcement until Summer?

The big things are money: what you have now, how much of a "stretch" it will really be to buy right now, how fast can you unload your Cam, are you upside down, etc. Get your numbers right and everything else will fall into place---either you buy, or you wait. With the other things up in the air, or "Gee, I don't know." you're just spinning in circles too much. jmo.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:13 PM
NA FURY
Instructor

Gents,

Thanks for the quick replies. A couple of things...

Originally Posted by mschuyler
Frankly, i do not believe $71K on an $82K MSRP is a very good price. I think you can do better.
Granted, I have not spent more than a couple of weeks considering new since I was shooting for lightly used, but I don't think I've seen any new Z06's dip below $71k. I believe dealer cost on a 2018 1LZ is $72,640. What's a good deal to aim for? The other thing I need to consider is that I am dead set on getting Watkins Glen Gray, which I understand to be discontinued as of this year - this is going to limit my options.

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
I'd seriously consider it. Regardless of Model Year, MSRP or Discount, there's not a lot of (if any) NEW Z06s on dealer lots for under $71K, Kerbeck or MacMulkin the two largest don't have any.
Also, consider doing yourself a favor and rid yourself of all the potential C7 delivery drama, and just hire Intercity. May be slightly higher than some haulers, but worth every penny of what they charge.
This is pretty much where I'm at. I haven't seen much at Kerbeck or MacMulkin myself..

Originally Posted by AORoads
I think you really have the answers in just the posts above mine. Take your pick especially if, as you say, you've been lurking here for quite awhile. And if you have, you can judge the competency of all above and their veracity.

One thing you know but didn't mention: of course the price MAY go down by Jan/Feb, 2019--some/all of the cars, like '18s are 6 mos.older. So is the '19. And yes, it is possible the ME announcement will come then, but you don't know that for a fact---is that going to be your pacing item? What if no announcement until Summer?

The big things are money: what you have now, how much of a "stretch" it will really be to buy right now, how fast can you unload your Cam, are you upside down, etc. Get your numbers right and everything else will fall into place---either you buy, or you wait. With the other things up in the air, or "Gee, I don't know." you're just spinning in circles too much. jmo.
You're right, there's no knowing how a mid-engine announcement would affect price, if it comes. I'm just taking a guess at this point that it will happen. It's not going to make or break my decision, but it would just be more convenient for me to make a move then instead of now. Thankfully I've owned my SS outright from day 1, so a large part of it is just selling it to make room in the garage. As I mentioned above, I'm set on Watkins Glen Gray, so I think this is going to be my biggest limiting factor.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:33 AM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,012 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Before you buy a 1LZ trim level, research all the goodies you're not getting versus the 2LZ or 3LZ, trim levels. The 1LZ is for the seriously budget minded buyer, stretching to get in a ZO6. There's so darn many good things on the preferred 2 and 3 trim levels, that you will wish you had bought in the first place. Don't spend over $75K with tax on a car that's basically stripped as contrasted with the good stuff! I use each and every 3LT trim level item every day/night I drive my C7.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 AM
rrsperry
Safety Car

Received 1,412 Likes on 737 Posts

Originally Posted by Skid Row Joe
Before you buy a 1LZ trim level, research all the goodies you're not getting versus the 2LZ or 3LZ, trim levels. The 1LZ is for the seriously budget minded buyer, stretching to get in a ZO6. There's so darn many good things on the preferred 2 and 3 trim levels, that you will wish you had bought in the first place. Don't spend over $75K with tax on a car that's basically stripped as contrasted with the good stuff! I use each and every 3LT trim level item every day/night I drive my C7.
Well not really. There is nothing any more functional in a 3lz than a 2 lz. They have the same equipment other than the amount and kind of leather.

I do agree that 2lz could in fact pay for itself, just because of the front cameras. Just avoiding replacing the front splitter and bumper cover by one misjudged parking attempt would do it. Yes you can back in, but then you have to pull out from between two SUVs and the millennial texting takes off your front end. (the rear camera works really well. Not to mention the vented seats. (which work really well as opposed to the heat feature that doesn't...)

Then there is the difference in insurance in a Z vs non z... And tires. So if you have to really stretch to get in a Z, you probably can't afford it.
Old 07-15-2018, 08:54 AM
Baltimoron
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

I am dead set on getting Watkins Glen Gray
that color is already out of production, so anything left on the dealers lots is all there is or will be as far as new inventory. If that’s the only color you’re considering, I’d say you’re going to have to strike when the irons hot and do less penny pinching. If you’re looking for a very specific used car, you could look forever and never find it.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:13 AM
NA FURY
Instructor

Originally Posted by rrsperry
Well not really. There is nothing any more functional in a 3lz than a 2 lz. They have the same equipment other than the amount and kind of leather.

I do agree that 2lz could in fact pay for itself, just because of the front cameras. Just avoiding replacing the front splitter and bumper cover by one misjudged parking attempt would do it. Yes you can back in, but then you have to pull out from between two SUVs and the millennial texting takes off your front end. (the rear camera works really well. Not to mention the vented seats. (which work really well as opposed to the heat feature that doesn't...)

Then there is the difference in insurance in a Z vs non z... And tires. So if you have to really stretch to get in a Z, you probably can't afford it.
I have noted all of the differences in the trim levels and the 1LZ suits me fine. It's not an issue of stretching the budget; it's just that the 2LZ doesn't offer anything that I would value at the increased cost, but I wouldn't be against it if I was presented with a good deal. Do the ventilated seats work well? I've heard a lot of people say they were underwhelmed by them..
Old 07-15-2018, 10:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,661 Likes on 6,656 Posts

[QUOTE=CalculatingInfinity;1597596371]. I had not planning on purchasing until Q1 2019 when I think the announcement of the mid-engine car is going to knock C7 prices down further.
Before you buy a 1LZ trim level, research all the goodies you're not getting versus the 2LZ or 3LZ, trim levels. .

I have noted all of the differences in the trim levels and the 1LZ suits me fine. ..
Hmm, can't imagine buying from anyone but Kerbeck if I lived in PA! Heck for my C6 I drove it back from Atlantic City! My Grand Sport was bought from them and I had Courtesy Delivery to a dealer 30 miles from my home! Great folks no haggling stupidity, just go to their website (they sponsor this General Section-click logo top right.) Last I looked they had >300 cars in stock or on order. They are the largest Vette dealer for a reason and were selling 1200/year! They only have Vettes in Atlantic City.

That said, they are smart folks and will reduce inventory when the C8 will be coming BUT who knows when that will occur (in fact you can be sure they will know before most of us!) At that time they will have even deeper discounts than they do now to get ride of inventory! Since you're waiting until first quarter of 2019 just keep on looking at their inventory and prices- what you see is what you'll pay!

You think you've looked at 1 vs 2/3LT but unless you have driven a Vette you don't know what your missing and can't tell from a list of specs! There was a recent post by a fellow who had a 1LT and was having issues with entry and exit. That is a major benefit of "memory seats." No one else drives my car BUT when I open my door, after shutting the car off, my seat moves all the way back AND most important the front and back move fully up as does the steering wheel. Makes entry and exit easy. When I stop to get mail from the box it front of my house I sometimes leave the engine running and my seat in the drivers position. What a PIA to exit and get back in! In addition I need adjustable lumbar support to have a perfect fit.

Also did not have a front camera in my 2014 C7, s that was not available and now in the Grand Sport! Hit a few curb stops and you'll wish you did. Can't come close to seeing the front of the car! I my 2014 I was doing like some post and backing into parking slots at the mall etc. PIA!

Some of the other benefits are individual BUT here are mine:
  1. I would not drive a car today without HUD since with all the distracted drivers you need to keep your eyes on the road! Need to maintain my ~60 year record of not having an accident with another vehicle! (Looking for wood as that includes luck!)
  2. Had a 3LT C6 (that I bought from Kerback and drove back to SC) that did not have the rear subwoofer. It needed one IMO and with Bose a PIA, complicated and expensive to add! I've added them to other cars including my 260Z , S10 truck with a separate amp but doing that in a Vette is not simple and is very expensive to do it right! With a 2/3LT you get that. IMO it's needed to drown out the road and tire noise! Especially with a Z06 or my Grand Sport with it's wide tires! I have my sound system playing >1000 songs in shuffle mode when I start the car and it's never off! Janis Joplin' signing "Cry Baby" etc does a good job of drowning out the noise and that rear sub is a big help! (Yep I'm and old dude, 75 and that is the stuff I listen too! Although Joss Stone has a similar sound on some songs and have hers as well as other current albums on my thumb drive!
  3. Auto-dimming mirrors don't sound like a need on paper until you drive that very low car and headlights are glaring!
  4. May not need heated seats but depends on how cold it will be when you drive. I drive at 35/40F and find they useful in the winter and the cooling even better in our hot summers.
Your Money Your Car Your Choice BUT IMO you need to do some more looking and you have the time!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-15-2018 at 10:50 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Null Pointer (07-15-2018)
Old 07-15-2018, 10:41 AM
R50THC5
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by mschuyler
A friend acquired a new 2017 Z06 2lz msrp 102k for 69K..walk away and keep searching. Better deals to be had..

Last edited by R50THC5; 07-15-2018 at 10:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:56 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,842 Likes on 5,646 Posts

I have noted all of the differences in the trim levels and the 1LZ suits me fine. It's not an issue of stretching the budget; it's just that the 2LZ doesn't offer anything that I would value at the increased cost, but I wouldn't be against it if I was presented with a good deal. Do the ventilated seats work well? I've heard a lot of people say they were underwhelmed by them..
You are approaching C7 ownership in the correct way by doing your research, understanding pricing and determining what's right for you. This should ultimately end up in long term satisfaction.
Don't make the mistake of allowing others push what they value on you.
And yes, seems many are underwhelmed with the ventilated seats. In the recent 'features you could do without' thread they were among the top listed.

Get notified of new replies

To New guy from Eastern PA, with questions...

Old 07-15-2018, 11:02 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,661 Likes on 6,656 Posts

Originally Posted by R50THC5
A friend acquired a new 2017 Z06 2lz msrp 102k for 69K..walk away and keep searching. Better deals to be had..
For fun, just looked at Kerbeck inventory and they three different color 1LZ Z06 manual trans 2019's for $72,666. It will no doubt get better when the C8 gets closer and in the winter of 2019!

If the OP really wants a standard shift he may have a hard time finding one as inventory gets slimmer! ~75% of the Vettes purchased are with automatics! I'm already getting ready for the first none third pedal DD I will have when I get a C8! It's been announced that Tremic will build a dual clutch computer controlled transaxle with no 3rd pedal! At least it won't be a slush box!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-15-2018 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:07 AM
Null Pointer
Exception ID 10T
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 506 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by R50THC5
That is very hard to believe. That works out to a 32% discount. The dealer really took a beating on that one.
Old 07-15-2018, 11:31 AM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,244 Likes on 1,035 Posts

. I had not planning on purchasing until Q1 2019 when I think the announcement of the mid-engine car is going to knock C7 prices down further.
The mid-engine isn't going to knock C7 prices down further. If your waiting for that to happen you will be waiting a very long time

Quick Reply: New guy from Eastern PA, with questions...