C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A/C Condensate Drain location...?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 05:23 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default A/C Condensate Drain location...?

Getting water on passenger floor from A/C condensation. Cannot see the drain on the firewall
for the A/C. I see the larger rubber tube for the cowl drain only. If I remove the access panel in
the passenger side wheelwell will that give me access to the ac drain? As always, appreciate the
advice and guidance.

Last edited by RED Coupe; 07-16-2018 at 05:29 PM.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:44 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Pic pulled from google.

Behind passenger head on firewall look for a small black L shaped drain

Old 07-16-2018, 07:49 PM
chris308
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 93 Posts

Lol 8VETTE7 beat me to it
Old 07-16-2018, 07:58 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod
Received 255 Likes on 225 Posts

mine no longer had the 90* elbow attached to it
Old 07-16-2018, 09:26 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by 8VETTE7
Look at post #3 in the following thread:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-t...ak-checks.html

You have a much better chance of accessing it from the bottom.

Plugup may not be in the external tube but rather inside the pan that the evaporator core sits in:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-properly.html

Post #14 has diagrams of Evaporator core.

Thanks for all the guidance. Was hoping this could be accessed from the top. Even with these pictures, I cannot
see nor feel this tube from above. As you suggest, I'll likely have to crawl under. Part that confuses about this
passenger floor dripping is I'm original owner, 2001 Coupe, 29K mikes, ALWAYS garaged, never been in rain, stored
with a cotton cover in the garage. So how did this become clogged???
Old 07-17-2018, 10:27 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Received 176 Likes on 117 Posts

I just went through this. I jacked the car up, laid under it so I could see the drain tube. I removed (and lost) the drain tube with long reach needle nose pliers. I then took about 18 inches of thin wire (picture hanging type) and pushed it into the drain area. That's when the fun started. You won't be able to move out of the way fast enough to avoid taking a bath by the half gallon of water that will come gushing out.

I was not able to get the wire through the drain elbow, which is why I removed it. I currently and running with no drain elbow at all.

Good luck. It's a PIA to get to.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:56 AM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Location: Arlington Va Current ride 04 vert, previous vettes: 69 vert, 77 resto mod

Originally Posted by RED Coupe
Thanks for all the guidance. Was hoping this could be accessed from the top. Even with these pictures, I cannot
see nor feel this tube from above. As you suggest, I'll likely have to crawl under. Part that confuses about this
passenger floor dripping is I'm original owner, 2001 Coupe, 29K mikes, ALWAYS garaged, never been in rain, stored
from dust and pollen getting pulled on to fins and then dripping off into the condensate pan
Old 07-17-2018, 10:59 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by Robrote
I just went through this. I jacked the car up, laid under it so I could see the drain tube. I removed (and lost) the drain tube with long reach needle nose pliers. I then took about 18 inches of thin wire (picture hanging type) and pushed it into the drain area. That's when the fun started. You won't be able to move out of the way fast enough to avoid taking a bath by the half gallon of water that will come gushing out.

I was not able to get the wire through the drain elbow, which is why I removed it. I currently and running with no drain elbow at all.

Good luck. It's a PIA to get to.

Thanks you for the guidance. Yes, does sound like a pia. Was hoping the wheel-well acces panel might be easier. Earlier posts
are little unclear if the access-panel allows reach to this A/C drain???? Oh well....guess its jack up, crawl under and rain coat.
Thank again....appreciate you sharing this.

...Bob
unclear if that tube is readable
Old 07-17-2018, 11:02 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Thanks you for the guidance. Yes, does sound like a pia. Was hoping the wheel-well acces panel might be easier. Earlier posts
are little unclear if the access-panel allows reach to this A/C drain???? Oh well....guess its jack up, crawl under and rain coat.
Thank again....appreciate you sharing this.

...Bob
unclear if that tube is readable
The wheel well access was completely useless for me. I read that in other posts as well. If you have small arms, you'll be a lot better off. Obviously the car needs to be completely cool as you'll be up there with the exhaust etc. Start to finish, took me about 30-45 mins.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:08 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by Robrote
The wheel well access was completely useless for me. I read that in other posts as well. If you have small arms, you'll be a lot better off. Obviously the car needs to be completely cool as you'll be up there with the exhaust etc. Start to finish, took me about 30-45 mins.

Thanks...not looking forward to this. I'm still at a loss why this is clogged??? Garaged since day one(orig owner), NEVER been in the rain, covered with
cotton sheet in the garage. Only water it see's is when I wash it. Strange.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:20 AM
Robrote
Burning Brakes

Thanks...not looking forward to this. I'm still at a loss why this is clogged??? Garaged since day one(orig owner), NEVER been in the rain, covered with
cotton sheet in the garage. Only water it see's is when I wash it. Strange.
Think about sitting a glass of clean water outside, covered for years. It can't evaporate since it's sealed up, so it scums up. That's all it needs to start the clog. General driving, sitting at car shows etc and next thing you know its clogged with snot and dust. Not uncommon
Old 07-17-2018, 11:47 AM
RED Coupe
Racer

Thanks...does make sense.
Old 07-17-2018, 01:34 PM
Randryracer
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 14 Posts

These find friends here just helped me. It's behind the right head and the firewall. Line of sight is blocked by the wiring harness, it's just below and behind it. Get a good flashlight you'll find it. I got it off from up top, but good luck getting it back on that way.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:29 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Originally Posted by Randryracer
These find friends here just helped me. It's behind the right head and the firewall. Line of sight is blocked by the wiring harness, it's just below and behind it. Get a good flashlight you'll find it. I got it off from up top, but good luck getting it back on that way.

Thanks...wil give another look/try before going under the car.
Old 07-17-2018, 03:30 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

Actually was able to barely see it from top. Managed to maneuver my hand on part hose. Then repeadily squeezed and released. Suddendly is DUMPED water. Ran for 5 minutes. Looks like I dodged bullet. Thank you all for the support. Terrific forum with terrific people!!!!
The following users liked this post:
Robrote (07-17-2018)
Old 07-17-2018, 03:55 PM
RED Coupe
Racer

I agree, when I do get under the car again, I’d actually like to snip the end of the pipe slightly so as to cause more opening. That of course if I can reach the dam thing. Just a thought.

Last edited by RED Coupe; 07-17-2018 at 07:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2018, 07:56 PM
bobs77vet
Race Director

Mine doest have the 90* elbow...must have been lost or removed on purpose.i am not going to add one back again

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Condensate Drain location...?

Quick Reply: A/C Condensate Drain location...?