C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Black finish on console

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2018, 02:12 PM
steve mulherin
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Black finish on console

The black finish on the console became sticky so I tried goo gone. Didn't work so I got real stupid and tried some brake cleaner. It made the finish peel. The plastic underneath is black so it's not awful but I would like to repair. Does anyone know what the finish is and how to replicate?
Old 07-17-2018, 02:42 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Received 66 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by steve mulherin
The black finish on the console became sticky so I tried goo gone. Didn't work so I got real stupid and tried some brake cleaner. It made the finish peel. The plastic underneath is black so it's not awful but I would like to repair. Does anyone know what the finish is and how to replicate?
I used plastidip. came out pretty close!

use a couple of coats
Old 07-17-2018, 05:09 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 703 Likes on 590 Posts

that rubberized finish is called dulso. it was very popular during the mid 90's and besides Corvettes, was used on Porsche and BMW's, and i'm assuming others - all with the same results - didn't hold up, turned to goo, and everyone hated it! several way to tackle the problem, all requires stripping the original rubberized coating, and refinish. some paint, some use plastidip, and some....

I did a couple threads years ago on how I tackled the problem -

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...nailed-it.html

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...onclusion.html

Old 07-17-2018, 05:45 PM
RIC96
Drifting

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Brake cleaner?
Old 07-17-2018, 11:45 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Solved my issue with the coating...bought a new console! Ok, mine was cracked and the cup holder lid was broken as was the shift indicator so , ok I had no choice but it came out great!

The following users liked this post:
Need4Sneed (02-23-2024)
Old 07-17-2018, 11:53 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Originally Posted by Kens94
Solved my issue with the coating...bought a new console! Ok, mine was cracked and the cup holder lid was broken as was the shift indicator so , ok I had no choice but it came out great!

Is it after market? The one I purchased was on my old 94. The cup holder door was rubbing and would start peeling if I opened and closed it .So it always stayed open lol.
Old 07-17-2018, 11:59 PM
Kens94
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CVG323
Is it after market? The one I purchased was on my old 94. The cup holder door was rubbing and would start peeling if I opened and closed it .So it always stayed open lol.
I believe so, my fiancé bought it for me for Father’s Day. She was tired of me complaining about it! No rubbing issue so far. Just need the c clip tool to take the shift **** off to put my new shift boot on. *Also I will get around to fixing the shift indicator. I appreciate your comments about this issue on my other post. Ken
Old 07-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

This reply should be a "sticky" for C4 late model console refinishers everywhere. Not that I am so great or full of answers, but I found some things that worked SO good that I thought about guarding my little "secrets" in the event I would start a little business finishing console covers! Since that probably will never happen, I will share my findings with anyone interested.

OEM Dulso finish removal: You know what the answer is? Rubbing alcohol. You will need to buy a tub/plastic storage container with a lid that is large enough to hold your console trim panel or other piece. Secondly, you will need to buy enough rubbing alcohol that you can fully submerge your trim. The lid is so that you aren't losing all of your alcohol due to evaporation. Rubbing alcohol is cheap. You will want to buy bottles with a high alcohol content (I can't remember what level I had, as I am not home right now).

If you put the trim panel (WITH ORIGINAL OEM DULSO FINISH) into this solution, you will find the original finish will come off in sheets without hurting the plastic panel at all. It is so gentle on the panel, that on the underside of the panel where there were factory chalk or crayon marks, that it left ALL of that intact.

It has been a few years since I did this, so I can't remember how long it usually takes for the finish to loosen. Maybe 10-15 minutes? If needed, longer. You will see the finish bubble up and loosen and then you can physically remove it. I think I might have had a plastic bristle brush or a very light sanding pad (I am talking like the gray scotch brite pads..these are used for wood) to help loosen debris in the corners, etc. You DO NOT need anything so harsh that it will scratch or damage the plastic.

In doing this for the console cover, I had dismantled everything before dipping. Meaning I had removed the ashtray cover to be dipped separately and of course, the leather shift boot, little rubber bumpers for the ashtray door, etc.

- I don't have time to write this, if I am just doing this here for my own little typing exercise.

If there is interest, I will be back for the next steps which will give you an almost identical new finish. Later

Last edited by Meanmyz; 07-18-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Need4Sneed (02-23-2024)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:46 PM
CVG323
Race Director

Originally Posted by Meanmyz
This reply should be a "sticky" for C4 late model console refinishers everywhere. Not that I am so great or full of answers, but I found some things that worked SO good that I thought about guarding my little "secrets" in the event I would start a little business finishing console covers!

OEM Dulso finish removal: You know what the answer is? Rubbing alcohol. You will need to buy a tub/plastic storage container with a lid that is large enough to hold your console trim panel or other piece. Secondly, you will need to buy enough rubbing alcohol that you can fully submerge your trim. The lid is so that you aren't losing all of your alcohol due to evaporation. Rubbing alcohol is cheap. You will want to buy bottles with a high alcohol content (I can't remember what level I had, as I am not home right now).

If you put the trim panel (WITH ORIGINAL OEM DULSO FINISH) into this solution, you will find the original finish will come off in sheets without hurting the plastic panel at all. It is so gentle on the panel, that on the underside of the panel where there were factory chalk or crayon marks, that it left ALL of that intact.

It has been a few years since I did this, so I can't remember how long it usually takes for the finish to loosen. Maybe 10-15 minutes? If needed, longer. You will see the finish bubble up and loosen and then you can physically remove it. I think I might have had a plastic bristle brush or a very light sanding pad (I am talking like the gray scotch brite pads..these are used for wood) to help loosen debris in the corners, etc. You DO NOT need anything so harsh that it will scratch or damage the plastic.

In doing this for the console cover, I had dismantled everything before dipping. Meaning I had removed the ashtray cover to be dipped separately and of course, the leather shift boot, little rubber bumpers for the ashtray door, etc.

- I don't have time to write this, if I am just doing this here for my own little typing exercise.

If there is interest, I will be back for the next steps which will give you an almost identical new finish. Later
Im interested. how did you achieve the oem finish? (or oem like)
Old 07-18-2018, 03:47 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

I will stress that high content % rubbing alcohol only works on the original GM finish. Also, with the next steps, you will have your ORIGINAL panel looking better and more original than any of the aftermarket trip pieces.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:49 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Originally Posted by CVG323
Im interested. how did you achieve the oem finish? (or oem like)
There is a secret to that. One I will share tomorrow!
Old 07-19-2018, 06:12 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

I see from other threads that a lot of people have tried to solve the problem with the Dulso coating (coming up with good results). If you are happy with the outcome, good for you. I don't want to sound like I have the only solution...It is just that I came up with MY solution!

Yesterday I mentioned that high concentration rubbing alcohol with your console submerged in it in a plastic tub or container will remove the Dulso coating in sheets.

My solution for a new rubberized finish on your console and other Dulso coated parts IS Plasti Dip, as others have tried. My secret is in how it is applied...

- Take and fill a bucket/wash pail with hot water. You will want to get the water as hot as you can stand to touch. Fill the bucket. Then, put your can of Plasti Dip in the hot water for 10 minutes. Keep the cap on the can and use something to keep the can submersed up to the bottom edge of the cap.

In the meantime and while your can is heating up, make sure you are ready to go and that your console project is prepped, clean and ready to spray. A lint free micro fiber and your rubbing alcohol will help with this.

- After 10 minutes take your can out of the water and dry the water off of the can. Immediately, get to work on your project. You will find that the Plasti Dip, after having been heated will atomize out of the can so much better than before. Now the product will spray out evenly without problems. It will dry very smooth with no orange peel. Make sure you do overlapping passes and get the console "wet" with each pass. Too much will run. After spraying let the console dry for a while. At least to the point of not looking wet. Another coat can then be applied. I would recommend three coats.

When done with the final coat, let your console fully dry. It should dry very smooth. Once it has fully dried 24 hours plus (whatever the can says), you can take some very fine sandpaper (2000 grit) or the wood sanding (gray) Scotch-Brite pads to lightly sand any debris or Plasti Dip "dusting" that might have occurred with the finish that you want.

Finally, I use Mid America's Performance Choice interior dye, part number 601-976 (spray can) to finish the project. I nice light wet coat is all that it needs. You are done.

Last edited by Meanmyz; 07-19-2018 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-19-2018, 06:22 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

For those that have already used Plasti Dip with less than perfect results, you can start over. I have not tried to remove Plasti Dip by peeling (like is shown when removing the product from wheels or body panels. That might work. What I do know is that the death of Plasti Dip is paint thinner. Paint thinner should not be so harsh on the plastic console. It will get right to work on dissolving Plasti Dip.

After you have finished your project. Be careful. The Plasti Dip is the closest thing I have found to match the OEM Dulso coating. Also, you don't want to cake layers of vinyl dye over the Plasti Dip. It is just meant to alter the Plasti Dip appearance enough, that it looks OEM.

The longer time you give your Plasti Dipped and finished console to cure, it will hold up better against scratches. Hope my solution helps someone.
WhiteC1 (07-20-2018)
Old 07-20-2018, 07:51 AM
WhiteC1
Racer

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks Meanmyz! I'm going to try this soon on my '95 console. I have a 'floppy' ashtray lid I need to look at while it's out. Hopefully it's just a missing/broken pin, and can be repaired. The rest of my interior is pretty nice, but the console is definitely an eyesore...

Regards,
John
Old 07-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Meanmyz
Pro

Originally Posted by WhiteC1
Thanks Meanmyz! I'm going to try this soon on my '95 console. I have a 'floppy' ashtray lid I need to look at while it's out. Hopefully it's just a missing/broken pin, and can be repaired. The rest of my interior is pretty nice, but the console is definitely an eyesore...

Regards,
John
No problem! I hope it turns out great for you!

Get notified of new replies

To Black finish on console

Quick Reply: Black finish on console