C1 & C2 Corvettes General C1 Corvette & C2 Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Project Builds, Restorations

Getting to be friends with delivery people

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2018, 07:11 PM
Black_Magic
Safety Car

Received 448 Likes on 205 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year (appearance mods)
C2 of Year Winner (appearance mods) 2019
CI 4-5-7-9-10-11 Car Show Winner
CI 2-3-4-5-6-7-9-10-11 Vet

Default Getting to be friends with delivery people

UPS & FEDEX have been busy at my house 

Just about had ’66 done after many months being apart. Did 200-4R install, 6 Sequential taillights, Holley Sniper EFI & Wilwood brakes. Took quite a while because of Knee Replacement which limited my activities for about 3 months (1 prior to surgery and a couple after). Got it running and backed it off lift – pulled it back on to check for leaks, etc. Then the HEAT came and had other obligations. During that time I decide to replace ORIGINAL #s engine and store it with ORIGINAL PowerGlide. And as usual while-your-at-it I decide to go with Side pipes.

Finally pull the trigger on:
Blueprint 383 stroker 430HP/450FT LBS (BP38313CT1)
Allen Ultra Quiet (Ha-Ha) 2 ½ Aluminized
2 ½” Ramhorn manifolds
Various other items.

I’m removing almost new 2 ½ SS under car exhaust including Sanderson Headers. I know going backward, losing power, etc. But I don’t need or want MAXIMUM HP. Just like I removed power brakes and went with Wilwood manual brakes. Gives soothsayers something to complain about.  BTW I would have been happy with a 300HP 350 but resale down the road it will sound better with 383 -- 430HP  

Got a few more items to get so the deliver guys/gals will be back soon.

Remember I'm 75 and this is my weekend cruiser built the way I want it.

George

Last edited by Black_Magic; 07-23-2018 at 10:18 PM.
Old 07-20-2018, 08:22 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

yeah, my UPS driver knows me well too! Last year I gave him a jar of applesauce I had canned.,I need to do that again....never hurts to grease the palms!
Old 07-20-2018, 08:24 PM
firstgear
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 640 Likes on 358 Posts
2019 Corvette of the Year Winner
St. Jude Donor '15

By the way I had both of my knees done in 2011....not at same time, but about 4 months apart. Best thing I ever did...however even though I kept my kneecaps I cant bring myself to kneel on the ground......even with a thick pad....mental!
Old 07-20-2018, 09:42 PM
Easy Rhino
Team Owner

Received 1,920 Likes on 1,333 Posts

The Amazon, UPS, and Fedex drivers are all frequent delivery peeps at my house for sure. More for her than for me, though.

My mailman has one of about 80 or so bronze 87 (I think) C4s and carries my packages to the back porch. Nice guy - I try to remember to tip him heavy every Christmas.
Old 07-20-2018, 10:15 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,554 Likes on 2,797 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

My UPS guy is Jessie. Get to know your driver, it pays.

A couple months ago, I sold some property in NY and had my lawyer send the checks via UPS. He sent the checks to me in TX, but put the wrong street number on the package. I called Jessie, he gave me a number to call and in less than two minutes they told me exactly where the package was (they use gps coordinates for every drop). I went to my neighbor’s house and retreived my money. Now, eventually I would have gotten the checks one way or another, but it could have been a hassle and taken additional time. Jessie is my friend!

Last edited by Factoid; 07-20-2018 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 12:59 AM
LouieM
Race Director

Received 3,039 Likes on 1,252 Posts

For sure, George, nearly all of us are on a first name basis with our UPS and FedEx guys. Glad to hear you got past your knee operations.

Lou
Old 07-21-2018, 08:18 AM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Wow , Can I relate to this subject . Over the last nine months I have spent over 30k. on parts for my 57 that has been under restoration and most of the parts have been delivered by UPS, Fedex, and US Mail and I know all of them well . Two of them love the car ( older guys ) and would stop and talk about the car and the progress but the UPS guy is a younger guy and couldn't care less about what was going on with the car . I don't think he ever noticed if I am working on a Corvette or a washing machine. Surely an indication of where our hobby is going with the younger crowd .
Old 07-21-2018, 08:38 AM
car junkie
Drifting

Received 98 Likes on 80 Posts

They're just doing a job, who cares. I haven't found them particularly helpful on botched deliveries or pickups which to date have been their fault. Hell, they won't even give you a direct number to call your local depot if there is a problem, you gotta go through the national system and that has proven to be a big headache. This applies to UPS and Fedex.

One thing interesting, the UPS driver told me they monitor how many times they go in reverse, possible danger of backing up over something or into something.

I know this because these guys are always in a hurry and were making a big round rut in my gravel driveway making U turns at speed. A well placed traffic cone fixed that, he/they have to go in reverse now.
My general complaint, these guys are in such a big hurry to complete their route that they are making mistakes.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:30 PM
JohnZ
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,857 Likes on 1,100 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
One thing interesting, the UPS driver told me they monitor how many times they go in reverse, possible danger of backing up over something or into something.
Every driver's daily computerized route plan is generated based on a number of assumptions, including "NO LEFT TURNS" (unless absolutely necessary); left turns introduce an enormous amount of wasted time waiting for oncoming traffic to clear safely, so they just prohibit it.
Old 07-21-2018, 09:54 PM
bj1k
Le Mans Master

Received 375 Likes on 293 Posts

Originally Posted by car junkie
They're just doing a job, who cares. I haven't found them particularly helpful on botched deliveries or pickups which to date have been their fault. Hell, they won't even give you a direct number to call your local depot if there is a problem, you gotta go through the national system and that has proven to be a big headache. This applies to UPS and Fedex.

I know this because these guys are always in a hurry and were making a big round rut in my gravel driveway making U turns at speed. A well placed traffic cone fixed that, he/they have to go in reverse now.
My general complaint, these guys are in such a big hurry to complete their route that they are making mistakes.
Those trucks can be heavy depending on what they are carrying that day and my UPS guy would go off of the driveway when making a turn around and would put a huge rut in the grass every time he came . I got tired of fixing it and told him . Haven't had a problem since . He backs into the driveway now which you say they discourage .

Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 AM
ptjsk
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,901 Likes on 883 Posts

Yep, know the names of the UPS driver(s). Usually the same guy, but none the less, these guys have been great!

Unfortunately, I'm usually towards the end of their route. So when I'm waiting for a delivery, it usually arrives sometime after 1700 hours. During the holidays, it may be upwards of 1900 hours.

These guys do work their tails off, and I appreciate their efforts.

Pat
Old 07-22-2018, 02:36 PM
rayvaflav
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 979 Likes on 491 Posts

Why would you convert to side exhaust ? I ask only because I feel that side exhaust is one of the coolest accoutrement on a Midyear Sting Ray.

Ray

Get notified of new replies

To Getting to be friends with delivery people

Quick Reply: Getting to be friends with delivery people