C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Base Front Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2018, 01:04 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Base Front Air Dam

Hey guys,

I've read that GM discontinued the front Air Dams that are pretty much meant to be expendable.

You guys know of any where to pick up just the 3 pieces in the front as mine are looking a little worse for wear?

I've seen sets that have that huge piece in the middle, but they part of mine is fine. I was just looking for the DS, PS, and middle piece as those are the ones that scrape and flex.

I've seen a few vendors offer them, but a lot of times there isn't positive feedback left.

You guys have any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 07-22-2018, 01:12 PM
Icecap
Burning Brakes

Received 220 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by rmtt
Hey guys,

I've read that GM discontinued the front Air Dams that are pretty much meant to be expendable.

You guys know of any where to pick up just the 3 pieces in the front as mine are looking a little worse for wear?

I've seen sets that have that huge piece in the middle, but they part of mine is fine. I was just looking for the DS, PS, and middle piece as those are the ones that scrape and flex.

I've seen a few vendors offer them, but a lot of times there isn't positive feedback left.

You guys have any ideas?

Thanks!
I replaced mine last year after I tore the center section on a piece of re-bar that was sticking up. Bought the 3 piece set from Zip Corvette and it was a perfect match to the OEM. You can purchase the pieces individually as well as the fasteners and push pins if you don't want to replace the whole assembly.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:33 PM
rmtt
Pro

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Icecap
I replaced mine last year after I tore the center section on a piece of re-bar that was sticking up. Bought the 3 piece set from Zip Corvette and it was a perfect match to the OEM. You can purchase the pieces individually as well as the fasteners and push pins if you don't want to replace the whole assembly.
Thanks! I will look them up now.
Old 07-22-2018, 02:18 PM
dpigguy
Safety Car

Received 147 Likes on 114 Posts

Check with Cultrag as well for a price comparison.
Old 07-22-2018, 04:43 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,018 Likes on 2,174 Posts

Would not sweat it, since there are still plenty to be found, and even with GM not offering them direct, there will be plenty of after market companies picking up the slack.
Hell, take ECM and BCM's, with plenty of companies now taking the old ones and just repairing them instead.

But will say, that GM was pretty quick on the trigger to start discontinuing parts for the C6, in hopes of forcing people to sell their c6's, to buy the C7's that are not selling like the hoped isntead. This may work on a few buyers, but it going to blow up in GM's face with all the after market companies picking up the slack, and GM will back to having the parts back in stock withing a few years isntead. Hence with discontinuing parts for a car only 5 year of production (think 2013 C6), this is going to leave a bad taste in such owners mouths, have the C7 crowd worried if they are next on the chopping block, with a lot of new buyer just moving away from buying a GM Vet in the first place due to such practices. Also to point out, the Vets selling point has always been it's valve in regards to lower buy in , and cheaper maintenance costs over other sports cars. With the C8's looking to close that gap greatly now, GM is cutting its own throat now in regards to that as well.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:55 PM
HK770
Burning Brakes

Received 237 Likes on 189 Posts

https://www.trunkmonkeyparts.com/aut...nts-front-scat
Old 07-22-2018, 06:29 PM
1bdvet
Team Owner

Received 4,505 Likes on 3,590 Posts
U.S. Air Force
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor

I have 05, just replaced them, they looked like they were on there last legs.
Old 07-23-2018, 01:42 PM
cgladish
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 446 Likes on 336 Posts
Default front air dam

Originally Posted by rmtt
Hey guys,

You guys have any ideas?

Thanks!
I've bought from corvette mods, I bought few of these. the parts look to be identical to the stock pieces.
the one issue I did have, was actually my fault. counting the piece that cam with the car, I lost two other drivers side sections.
I made the mistake of using the connectors that, were already on the car. turns out they were the wrong ones.
the ones being used, were the like the ones used on the inner front wheel well access panel ( push pin ).
after losing the last one, the kit I bought, came with both left & right sides section. deciding to also replace the passenger side,
it became obvious I've been using the wrong connector ( should be a panel screw ).
the center section seems to take the abuse better ( maybe due to it being more flexible? ). I do not see any reason to change this
( over 133K miles ).
all good now!

Old 07-23-2018, 01:45 PM
jrose7004
Team Owner

Received 1,675 Likes on 1,298 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

Look on eBay, they're on there all of the time.
Old 07-23-2018, 08:02 PM
Boomer111
Race Director

Received 191 Likes on 151 Posts

I found a good replacement from Indy-Motorwerks.

I had to return a replacement due to the side pieces being to rigid.

The only issue I have is the cut out holes to attach the side pieces to the center piece are to close to the edge and the hole tears very quickly.

I cannot remember if the oem parts are the same in this regard but my original holes tore also very early on.

My tech said he doesn't even attach them side to side, and he has done a ton of them.

Get notified of new replies

To Base Front Air Dam

Quick Reply: Base Front Air Dam