Car Care Discussion Car Detailing Info, Wax, Wheel Polish, Interior Cleaning Tips for the Corvette

Cleaning dusty car without washing.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 01:11 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Received 97 Likes on 67 Posts
Default Cleaning dusty car without washing.

Hey,

So I never used one before (waterless carwash), my car is just a little dusty from sitting around. I don't think it needs a bath persay. What are some decent products I can run out and buy real quick today and come home and handle it.

all I have right now is some detail spray.

Last edited by NmtMev; 08-07-2018 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-07-2018, 01:25 PM
dfettero
Burning Brakes

Received 222 Likes on 137 Posts
Default Adam's Waterless Wash

I use Adam's Waterless Wash often.

Originally Posted by NmtMev
Hey,

So I never used one before (waterless carwash), my car is just a little dusty from sitting around. I don't think it needs a bath persay. What are some decent products I can run out and buy real quick today and come home and handle it.

Adam
Old 08-07-2018, 03:25 PM
FYRARMS
Le Mans Master

Received 3,239 Likes on 1,590 Posts

What are some decent products I can run out and buy real quick today and come home and handle it.

Hard to say, as we don't know what is available on the shelves of whichever retailers you use. Personally, for both waterless and rinseless washing, I use Optimum No-Rinse and Wolfgang Uber Waterless Wash. But those are online products. If you have to get something done immediately, I would just use detail spray. Spray liberally on a body panel, wipe in one direction with a good microfiber towel, and do one panel at a time.
Old 08-07-2018, 04:11 PM
charley95
Le Mans Master

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts

I'd probably do a bucket wash and dry it off and hit it with detail spray. Really hard to say without seeing how heavy the dust is.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:19 PM
0Adam's Polish
Former Vendor

Received 147 Likes on 124 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by dfettero
I use Adam's Waterless Wash often.

Adam
Thanks! WW is one of my favorite products!
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...wel-combo.html
Old 08-07-2018, 05:23 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

If it's just dust, and the car is waxed, a California car duster (dust broom) works great.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:29 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by sstonebreaker
If it's just dust, and the car is waxed, a California car duster (dust broom) works great.
ya I didn't find anything at the pepboys/AutoZone that I liked. I'll place an order with Adams, night as well save the money. I have a car duster but I'm scared to use it I don't wanna scratch anything.
I don't know how waterless carwash will react or do to my xpel so I have to research more.
Old 08-09-2018, 04:35 PM
Jimnc
Drifting

Received 139 Likes on 98 Posts

I know there are differing opinions on this but I occasionally use the touchless automatic car wash at the gas station down the street. It's the kind with a wand that goes around and sprays the soap then rinses. Blow dries on the way out. I then drive the mile home and use the leaf blower to get the remaining water off then hit it with the detail spray. Looks like new and takes only 30 minutes.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:26 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

My go to in this case is as follows:

Go to Walmart and get the $5.00 pump up garden sprayer....holds about 1 gallon of solution. Pick up some gallons of distilled water while you're there. I make my own detail spray/waterless rinse using about 3 ounces of Wolfgangs Uber Rinseless Wash (my favorite at this time) to a gallon of water. I stopped using the 32 ounce spray bottles because most of our vehicles are large SUV's and trucks and my hand would get tired of squeezing the handle on the little bottle. With the pressurized garden sprayer, I can pump it up once and it will spray two or three cars with rinseless wash solution. Super easy and quick to do a vehicle. Use very good quality and fluffy microfiber towels and turn them often to transfer the dust from the vehicle surface and into the fibers of the towels. Make sure you lightly mist both sides of the microfiber towel with your rinselss solution before touching the car.....much less likely to scratch the clearcoat with a damp towel versus a dry towel. Also, pre-spray any bad spots (bugs, sap, etc) to soften them up before you wipe them off.

You can't go wrong with any of the top quality rinseless washes such as Adams, etc. Technique is important to avoid scratching the clearcoat. Watch their videos and educate yourself on the correct technique.
Old 08-10-2018, 06:48 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

thank you for the above advice. I will do that, it sounds like a good way to save water. I woke up this morning to find this... lots of ash in the air due to the wildfires (like 30 miles away ) but it's still falling around here. I gotta give it a real wash, but I do appreciate the little touch up advice and tips in between. my car lives outdoors in a covered area. washing it 3 times a week is not ideal, it's a big waste of water imho.. and it's not cheap especially around here.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:29 PM
Texan79423
Melting Slicks

Received 268 Likes on 139 Posts

I been waterless for almost three years now. Got caught in rain and had to go to the car wash. I hit the rear window on my coup with the wand and dirt/mud streamed out like you would not believe. Same from all rubber trim areas and wheel wells. Now I wash every couple of month.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:46 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by Adam's Polish
Thanks! WW is one of my favorite products!
https://adamspolishes.com/shop/exter...wel-combo.html
maybe you guys could chime in..

Adams waterless carwash on Xpel? is that going to be safe for the long term?
Old 08-11-2018, 03:58 PM
TrackAire
Drifting

Received 489 Likes on 336 Posts

thank you for the above advice. I will do that, it sounds like a good way to save water. I woke up this morning to find this... lots of ash in the air due to the wildfires (like 30 miles away ) but it's still falling around here. I gotta give it a real wash, but I do appreciate the little touch up advice and tips in between. my car lives outdoors in a covered area. washing it 3 times a week is not ideal, it's a big waste of water imho.. and it's not cheap especially around here.
Last night in the Fairfield/Vacaville area a large grass fire got withing 200 yards of my house....cops wanted us to evacuate but it wasn't that kind of fire (just short grass in open fields) and at least 15 houses would have had to burn before it got to mine so I had plenty of time to get out. Until houses start to go up or large trees start to send big embers into the sky, staying put to make sure no embers, etc landed in dry leaves or flammable material and keep things wet made more sense to me. Once houses and big trees start to up, the temps get much higher much faster and it's time for people to evacuate.

We've been getting covered with ash for the last 2 weeks from the other fires in the area. Be careful with ash on your car as it can be abrasive. Use a leaf blower or drive the car at speed to get most of it off before you do the spray and wipe routine.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:04 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by TrackAire
Last night in the Fairfield/Vacaville area a large grass fire got withing 200 yards of my house....cops wanted us to evacuate but it wasn't that kind of fire (just short grass in open fields) and at least 15 houses would have had to burn before it got to mine so I had plenty of time to get out. Until houses start to go up or large trees start to send big embers into the sky, staying put to make sure no embers, etc landed in dry leaves or flammable material and keep things wet made more sense to me. Once houses and big trees start to up, the temps get much higher much faster and it's time for people to evacuate.

We've been getting covered with ash for the last 2 weeks from the other fires in the area. Be careful with ash on your car as it can be abrasive. Use a leaf blower or drive the car at speed to get most of it off before you do the spray and wipe routine.
dang man that's crazy I hope everything is okay
it's brutal out here right now. consistently hot every single day for like the last 3 weeks. Everything is freakin dry we really need some rain.

thank you for the tip
Old 08-12-2018, 09:18 AM
petsur
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

California Duster. Been using them for 20 years. No brainer, have 3 of them for each vehicle.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 PM
snomuncher
Racer

Received 80 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Cleaning Dusty Car

For light, fine dust and road film consider using a KozaK cloth. Just apply a light touch to the surface, not an aggressive polishing action, when using it.

https://www.autogeek.net/kozak.html?...SAAEgL51vD_BwE

https://www.amazon.com/Kozak-1050-Auto-Wash-Cloth/dp/B0017ZGMIQ/ref=sr_1_2/141-8848126-1241259?ie=UTF8&qid=1534218100&sr=8-2&keywords=kozak+cloth https://www.amazon.com/Kozak-1050-Auto-Wash-Cloth/dp/B0017ZGMIQ/ref=sr_1_2/141-8848126-1241259?ie=UTF8&qid=1534218100&sr=8-2&keywords=kozak+cloth
Old 08-14-2018, 12:15 AM
tstad9i1
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Haven't washed my car in a couple of years now, been using Meguire's wash n' wax and a waffle microfiber cloth instead. Readily available at the local Wallyworld. So much easier than hose and bucket.

Best thing since sliced tofu.

Last edited by tstad9i1; 08-14-2018 at 12:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cleaning dusty car without washing.

Old 08-14-2018, 09:32 AM
lamaro88
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

I use the california car duster first then I use the Meguires Waterless Carwash. Been pretty happy with it so far.
Old 08-15-2018, 12:46 PM
NmtMev
Drifting

Originally Posted by lamaro88
I use the california car duster first then I use the Meguires Waterless Carwash. Been pretty happy with it so far.
I habe one somewhere in the garage, I take a look around for it! just been too busy with other projects, gonna wash her tomorrow and then try some suggested products above in between washes. I should get a car cover too... that's next on my list
Old 10-06-2018, 10:19 AM
lavla
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 180 Posts

This is the best that I've ever used and I think I've tried them all.

Quick Reply: Cleaning dusty car without washing.