C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Changing the headlight motors type

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2018, 12:51 PM
Atanackovic Vladimir
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Changing the headlight motors type

Hi. As a fresh owner of one 1987 C4, just after one day of driving, I’ve managed to get to know the very popular issue, headlight motor failure. Everybody speak about the gear failure but in my case it seems to be an electrical problem (water got into the motor and something went wrong )

Concerning that I live in one east European country where Corvette parts are not easy to find, while I receive new motor from the US, summer season is gone

BUT, I ran into a pair of motors from the 1989 model which seems to be a newer model than ones I have and need (two wires...mines are with three wires).

My question... is it possible to use a pair of newer motors and in that case will I need the hood latches as well?

Thanks in advance!!!!
Old 08-19-2018, 02:08 PM
corvettenorway
Burning Brakes

Received 148 Likes on 94 Posts

http://www.mirrockcorvette.com/corve...html#headlight
The following users liked this post:
JimLentz (08-19-2018)
Old 08-20-2018, 07:31 AM
Atanackovic Vladimir
5th Gear

Thank you all on provided information! Meanwhile I’ve learned a lot about the subject. I can purchase very cheap a pair of ‘89 motors localy...than I should buy a module conversion kit and that would be it Only one question still exists...I’m sure that the answer is positive, but still, to be sure...regarding the motors mounting...can 88 and later C4 motors can be mounted bolt-on to 87 chassies? I’m pretty sure that they can be but still need to ask more experiance ones. Thanks!
Old 08-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Atanackovic Vladimir
5th Gear

The right one, which stopped going up, is now apart. I’m not an expert, so I can only tell what I’ve been told. The motor works when given electricity, but it seems that termal capacitor (I could call it that ) is fryed (glass is all dark in upper part, as a broken light bulb). When reading about fixing up an headlight motors, everybody is saying about the mechanical aspect, the gears, but I could not find anything about the electric axpect of servicing. On my motor it looks like water got into (there is some rust on the magnet around the stator (fixed part of electric motor), supposingly induced the failure. We will try to find a needed thermal capacitor (limit switch) but not sure could it be found and what to ask for?!?
Old 08-20-2018, 01:57 PM
Atanackovic Vladimir
5th Gear

One more thing...I’m not crazy about mixing up the original parts with newer, even being taken from other corvette. I’ve recently purchased my first vette, found the car in original condition, etc...with the idea to pass it over to my son, kind of legacy...we are both great fans of corvettes (obviously ) It would not be the problem to purchase a new (refurbished part) but I kind of think that it could be easely fixed without purchasing pretty expencive part with arguable quality.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

The '88-up motors aren't any more reliable than the early motors, just different problems. Are you good at rewiring? The change from your '87 to the '89 will be more than a "plug-and-play"!

It's important that the limit switches in the '84-'87 motors are clean, and the motor armature must be lubricated with a light weight white grease, so the armature can shift up and down on its axis in its bearings when the headlight door stalls against the stops at the ends of the travel of the door.

Old 08-21-2018, 05:27 AM
Atanackovic Vladimir
5th Gear

Today we have checked the electric motor and it seem to be working. The possible problem seems to be in this thermo electric switch located inside of a motor housing. Pictures attached. I do not know what and where to look for...

Old 08-22-2018, 01:26 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

If the motor runs, there is no problem with what you're calling the "thermo electric switch". Please see my previous post. (No pictures were attached to your post)

Here's a link that shows the internal details of the '84-'87 headlight motors. I doesn't answer your question, but it might be helpful.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...placement.html

Old 10-02-2018, 03:01 PM
varozhan
2nd Gear

hi guys
I just bought c4 1987 when I bought the car the both lamp it was open I check the headlight power motor cable its not connect when I connect the cable the both close then try of on the head light only the driver side open if I manually open the passenger side , then when I turn of light is close but turn on agin not open !!!
any one have a similar problem ?!??!

thanks in advance

Get notified of new replies

To Changing the headlight motors type

Quick Reply: Changing the headlight motors type