C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure and amp meter

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 05:48 PM
TroyBraz
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure and amp meter

Going crazy guys! I have an 81 vette that I have been fixing the little thing on. When I replaced the bulbs in my center gauge cluster I found that my pc was in bad shape so I ordered a new one. I installed the new pc all the lights now work but now my oil pressure gauge and my amp meter have stopped working. Does this wiring run all the way to the sensors or could I have loosened another connector while I was wrestling with the center plug?
Old 09-19-2018, 07:44 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Yours should be exactly like mine in my 82. If those two things were working OK before you replaced it, take a look at the copper tangs (connections) that are on that PCB and make sure they are ALL making contact when you put it together. It is easy to miss that and not know it until all back together. Hope this helps.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:00 PM
TroyBraz
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Buccaneer
Yours should be exactly like mine in my 82. If those two things were working OK before you replaced it, take a look at the copper tangs (connections) that are on that PCB and make sure they are ALL making contact when you put it together. It is easy to miss that and not know it until all back together. Hope this helps.
The oil pressure gauge gauge was not working after I put the new bulbs in. I had not changed out the PCB at that time. It had been working before as had the amp meter. I did blow a fuse trying to get things back together. I wonder what the chances are that I the resistors on those two gauges. Neither one reads 90 ohms. Thinking about picking up a 90 ohm to test with.
Old 09-20-2018, 05:54 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

If you blew a fuse while working on it, you left power connected to the system while doing work on the wiring & circuits and you created a short-circuit. Not a good idea. No way of knowing what other damage was done.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:27 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,005 Likes on 688 Posts

Originally Posted by 7T1vette
If you blew a fuse while working on it, you left power connected to the system while doing work on the wiring & circuits and you created a short-circuit. Not a good idea. No way of knowing what other damage was done.
^^THIS^^ I would have assumed you removed power especially working on the dash... ALWAYS remove power before working on anything electrical. Like mentioned, it could be anything now and you'll have to troubleshoot those components/systems to find the issue(s). GL and hope you find the problem.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:49 PM
TroyBraz
7th Gear

Thanks guys! I knew better than not to disconnect the power...... shame on me, I got lazy! After changing the pcb, it was in bad shape and installing a new gauge. Looks like it was the sending unit. Grounding the signal wire and turning on the ket, the gauge went to 0 instead of going past 80. I’ve got a new sending unit coming. Does anyone know how many ohms the resistor for oil pressure gauge should be when not connected to the gauge?
Thanks!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:03 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Different for different model years. Willcox is a vendor on the Forum and has lots of knowledge and tutorials for folks who request them. Good luck.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil pressure and amp meter

Quick Reply: Oil pressure and amp meter