C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 06:47 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Please Help

My father and I have been working on my 'Vette for a while now, mainly to fix a glaring issue. My 1994 base 'Vette has a tendency to quit in the middle of a drive, seemingly random. No sputter, no running rough, and no unusual noises, however it will die at random times. Not only is this dangerous, it is also extremely embarrassing to be stuck in the middle of a turn lane while the 5 o'clock traffic builds up behind you. We have determined that the fuel pump isn't the problem, and we have replaced the coil and ICM to no avail. We are starting to get quite frustrated. To all fellow C4 owners, please help us!

Thank you,
Brody

UPDATE:
Through everyone's great input, we've determined that the issue is the Optispark, or the distributor. Thank you everyone for the help!

Last edited by Brody Paulk; 09-19-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 07:55 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Do you know how to scan codes?
Old 09-19-2018, 08:22 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

Default Code reader

We do, however our code reader isn't getting a connection, and because of that we have been working blind. We considered fixing that issue however we decided that our other issue is more pressing.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:37 PM
belairbrian
Melting Slicks

Received 358 Likes on 290 Posts

Your 94 will display the codes on the LCD (speedometer) all you need is a paper clip.

Follow this link and scroll down to the section labeled-Sequenced Code Recovery - 1994 through 1996:
how to pull codes

While the connector looks like an OBD-II connector it is really OBD-I so an OBD-II reader will not work.
Old 09-19-2018, 08:41 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

​​​Do have any prior history of the Opti? 2 of my C4’s are LT1’s and I replaced in both at least once. Mine starting stalling, sometimes they would run flawlessly. Kept getting worse. At one point, the cars would stall, then resart after about 1/2 hour.

May be something else, but you should check the usual culprits, fuel pressure, injectors (noid light), failing fuel pump etc

there are plenty of threads on CF concerning the issues you are having

try not to just throw parts at it!

good luck
Old 09-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

It's my understanding that the connector for the code reader has sixteen prongs, or holes, and that is for a OBD-II, unlike the OBD-I reader with twelve prongs, or holes. Are you sure it is operated like the old OBD-I connections?
Old 09-19-2018, 09:08 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Originally Posted by Brody Paulk
It's my understanding that the connector for the code reader has sixteen prongs, or holes, and that is for a OBD-II, unlike the OBD-I reader with twelve prongs, or holes. Are you sure it is operated like the old OBD-I connections?
Put a paper clip just like that. Put the key to ON position, don't start it. Codes will flash on MPH lcd readout. There will be 3 modules. 1, 4, and 9. Do that. Report back.

Old 09-19-2018, 09:32 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,946 Likes on 4,785 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Is the check engine light on? If not your only going to get history codes. When it dies you need to check for fuel and spark. Plugging it into a scanner and watching the sensor readings to see if they are where they need to be can be helpful.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:36 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
Is the check engine light on? If not your only going to get history codes. When it dies you need to check for fuel and spark. Plugging it into a scanner and watching the sensor readings to see if they are where they need to be can be helpful.
The check engine light is on, and you are correct in the scanner, however the with the scanner we can't manage to achieve a connection, so no read out. And we even tried the old OBD-I method with a paper clip or a wire and we still managed no output.
EDIT:
Through everyone's great input, we've determined that the optispark has gone bad, thank you for everyone's help!

Last edited by Brody Paulk; 09-19-2018 at 10:01 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:37 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

Thank you, that achieved a code readout, reading C12, H16, --- and based on the Haynes manual, my distributor/optispark has gone bad, thank you so much for the help

Last edited by Brody Paulk; 09-19-2018 at 09:52 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:52 PM
LWesthaver
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 77 Posts

My father and I have been working on my 'Vette for a while now, mainly to fix a glaring issue. My 1994 base 'Vette has a tendency to quit in the middle of a drive, seemingly random. No sputter, no running rough, and no unusual noises, however it will die at random times. Not only is this dangerous, it is also extremely embarrassing to be stuck in the middle of a turn lane while the 5 o'clock traffic builds up behind you. We have determined that the fuel pump isn't the problem, and we have replaced the coil and ICM to no avail. We are starting to get quite frustrated. To all fellow C4 owners, please help us!

Thank you,
Brody
How did you determine that the fuel pump isn't the problem?

-Wes
Old 09-19-2018, 09:54 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Thank you, that achieved a code readout, reading C12, H16, --- and based on the Haynes manual, my distributor/optispark has gone bad, thank you so much for the help
Well no one here will be surprised to read that.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:58 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

Originally Posted by LWesthaver
How did you determine that the fuel pump isn't the problem?

-Wes
When the car dies, it doesn't sputter, stick, or anything of that nature, and when you turn it on, not crank it up, you can hear the pump prime without issue. And we checked fuel pressure and it was optimal.
Old 09-19-2018, 09:59 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

Originally Posted by PatternDayTrader
Well no one here will be surprised to read that.
Is this a common issue?
Old 09-19-2018, 10:04 PM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Is this a common issue?
Yes, it is extremely common.
Before you change it, spend some time searching the hundreds of threads here.
Old 09-19-2018, 11:53 PM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

There is a harness that goes connects to the opti. It goes up to passenger side fuel rail. Disconnect it and look at the pins for cleanliness and corrosion. Do you have a noid light set? If so, when the car stalls, plug it into an injector connector. Try and start the car. Does the noid light pulse, aka does it light up? If not, the code h16 is valid. When h16 occurs, it doesn't send a pulse to injectors. Which obviously, will not let the car start.

For what it's worth, I put a new opti in my 93(from sac city) and it always had the h16. But ran great. After researching that, many said if the car is running fine, ignore the h16. The reason the h16 stays is because there is an optical sensor in the optispark. They were originally made by Mitsubishi and were very robust. They no longer make them, and we believe that is why the h16 stays, even if the car is running great.

But your's stalls out. So pursue it. Sorry for all the info.
Old 09-23-2018, 03:19 PM
Brody Paulk
Cruising

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
There is a harness that goes connects to the opti. It goes up to passenger side fuel rail. Disconnect it and look at the pins for cleanliness and corrosion. Do you have a noid light set? If so, when the car stalls, plug it into an injector connector. Try and start the car. Does the noid light pulse, aka does it light up? If not, the code h16 is valid. When h16 occurs, it doesn't send a pulse to injectors. Which obviously, will not let the car start.

For what it's worth, I put a new opti in my 93(from sac city) and it always had the h16. But ran great. After researching that, many said if the car is running fine, ignore the h16. The reason the h16 stays is because there is an optical sensor in the optispark. They were originally made by Mitsubishi and were very robust. They no longer make them, and we believe that is why the h16 stays, even if the car is running great.

But your's stalls out. So pursue it. Sorry for all the info.
Thank you so much, we've rectified the issue and we were terrified that the H16 code was still being read, that k you so much for bringing this to our attention.

Get notified of new replies

To Please Help

Quick Reply: Please Help