C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lifter or Exhaust Leak? (See video)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2018, 01:43 AM
LSKevin117
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Lifter or Exhaust Leak? (See video)

Hello again guys, I feel kind of bad posting yet another "PLEASE HELP ME!!!" post while I currently still have my last one unsolved as well. Anyways, to make this as short and to the point as possible. Is this a lifter tick, exhaust leak, or something else? It sounds like it is coming from the drivers side head, but the sound resonates throughout the drivers side header a bit and makes it hard to pinpoint for certain.

Some more information that may or may not be needed: This is a 2001 manual coupe. Headers were installed about 500 miles ago. I always had a bit of an "exhaust leak" sound after installing the headers, but I think that it was just the normal sound of the valvetrain just now louder due to the thin headers compared to thick cast iron manifolds. This tick/knocking kind of sound is new. I used new GM OEM multi layer steel gaskets, although, I did install the gaskets, then had to replace the first set of faulty headers and the reuse the gaskets when my next set came in. The header bolts were recently retorqued to 18ft lbs. All clamps and welds from the collector back have been tested for leaks with soapy water and no leaks were found. I can't test the header gasket with the soapy water, it boils off too fast, even from a cold start.

Probably unrelated, but my other (currently unsolved) post involved an issue with a rough idle where my car sounds like it has a small cam or something, and the engine RPM dropping too fast when shifting, making shifting bucky with the manual transmission. I suspected a vacuum leak, but could it be possible this is somehow related? If it is a lifter could the valve not be opening fully and result in a rough idle? Or if it is an header gasket leak, could air be entering the exhaust and confusing the O2 sensors, causing an incorrect AFR and the rough idle?

Anyways, lifter? Leak? Or something else entirely?
Any tips on how to pinpoint/verify what it is?

Thanks in advance. Hopefully this isn't anything major, as you could imagine I am pretty worried about it.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:41 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

Instead of starting the car and looking for a leak use a Shop Vac !!...you have one ??...connect the hose on the other end so it blows out...make sure it's CLEAN and engine cold....hook to exhaust...use soap and water on suspected area...find the leak...BE HAPPY !!
Old 10-16-2018, 11:53 AM
grantv
Le Mans Master

Received 535 Likes on 491 Posts

Originally Posted by rwobs777
Instead of starting the car and looking for a leak use a Shop Vac !!...you have one ??...connect the hose on the other end so it blows out...make sure it's CLEAN and engine cold....hook to exhaust...use soap and water on suspected area...find the leak...BE HAPPY !!
I've seen others suggest this, but I'd never do it. Even if the vacuum was brand new you'd be sending unfiltered air and whatever junk is in your exhaust into your cylinders on any where the exhaust valve is open. Yikes.
Old 10-16-2018, 11:58 AM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,124 Likes on 1,689 Posts

I've done this on my '01 a few years back...clean Shop Vac...new filter...no issues for me !!
Old 10-16-2018, 03:28 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by grantv
I've seen others suggest this, but I'd never do it. Even if the vacuum was brand new you'd be sending unfiltered air and whatever junk is in your exhaust into your cylinders on any where the exhaust valve is open. Yikes.
LOL!! My Son just did this to his 97 Wrangler with an LS2 in it. Worked like a champ. He found several minor exhaust leaks.

You can also do this:

Purchase some SEA FOAM in the SPRAY CAN!!. Install the thin red straw into the nozzle. Slip the nozzle between the clamp for the air bridge and the Throttle body. While the engine is running spray in the sea foam. It will cause the engine exhaust to SMOKE and if, there is an exhaust escape path the smoke will escape! You will need someone to spray while you examine the exhaust system.

If it doesn't make enough smoke, spray the sea foam into the intake with the engine OFF and then crank it up. Trust me, it will SMOKE. It wont hurt anything either.

Bill
Old 10-16-2018, 06:24 PM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by rwobs777
I did this on mine. It worked really well but I don’t think I would do it again because it could potentially harm your motor.
Old 10-16-2018, 09:49 PM
LSKevin117
Advanced

Welp, my shop vac has been collecting dust in the shed for a while now. I may have to clean it out really good and give this a shot. I will try the seafoam trick first. I happen to have some already.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:20 PM
LSKevin117
Advanced

I seafoamed a bit through the vacuum line, the exhaust was white smoking like crazy, but none came from the flange gasket indicating a leak. I then tried the shop vac trick, I discovered one very small exhaust leak from a clamp towards the rear, however so small and so far back I don't think it is worth messing with. So far, nothing from the header flanges... I was really hoping this was just a simple exhaust leak. I remembered another old trick to pinpoint exhaust leaks, while the car is running, shove rags in all of the exhaust outlets to put a ton of back pressure on the system. Usually this makes any exhaust leak a lot louder, however the ticking sounds stayed the same. It looks like this may be a lifter or something else? Any other ideas on where to go from here? I just changed the oil a few hundred miles ago, I heard seafoaming the oil can help clean up the engine and solve lifter ticks, but I'd rather not try this and waste money on more oil and a filter just for that to not work.

Most importantly...
Is there any harm in driving it how it currently is?
I am a little short on spending money for right now, I was saving up to buy some wheels but I may have to put that on hold. Meanwhile, will it be ok to drive back and forth to work everyday for a while? Or is this something that needs to be addressed ASAP?

Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Old 10-18-2018, 08:37 AM
tbrowne
Pro

Received 100 Likes on 83 Posts

You can purchase a mechanic's stethoscope at any autoparts store and listen at the valve covers for lifter noise. If you have lifter noise, you will easily be able to pinpoint the problem cylinder. Stethoscopes are cheap. You can also put your ear to a long screwdriver placed against a valve cover. Works about the same as a stethoscope but not as sensitive to noises.
Old 10-18-2018, 09:20 AM
DetroitPlac
Burning Brakes

Received 107 Likes on 85 Posts

From the video, it doesn't sound bad. The valve train makes a lot of noise, especially with headers. I chased it for a while in my car, and just gave up and enjoy it. Tuners said it was normal sounding.

Did you have the car tuned after you installed the headers? If not, that could be the source of your drivability issues.
Old 10-18-2018, 11:06 AM
bwill03z
Melting Slicks

Received 197 Likes on 171 Posts

I have Been chasing this same problem for a good while now. I have found at least three or four videos on YouTube of C5’s making the same identical noise that mine is making and they all said it turned out to be either a loose spark plug or a manifold gasket leak So I was optimistic in thinking it was just a leak.I have spent hours with a stethoscope and checking for leaks and have ruled out a header leak or a loose spark plug. I put seafoam in the crankcase a while back and it significantly reduced the tapping noise I hear which points towards a lifter. After about 50 miles I changed the oil and put 5W-30 back in and a tapping noise was back just like it was prior to the seafoam. I’m not sure if the seafoam thinned out the oil and it was getting to the lifters faster or what but it definitely made a difference although it did not disappear completely. If mine were a manifold leak I don’t see how it’s possible that putting in seafoam to the oil would change that sound. By the way I do have a long tube headers. What makes this all more confusing to me is that my car had aftermarket Shorty ceramic headers on it with everything else being stock in the exhaust when I bought it. I never did notice this tapping sound until after I put on long tubes and did a dyno tune. Actually I had the headers put on and then it was probably a month later that it was tuned and I did not notice the sound until after the tune so maybe a lifter was damaged during one of the dyno runs. It bothers me but I continue to drive my car anyway. Some will say don’t worry about it and enjoy it while others will say they would not move it until it was fixed

Get notified of new replies

To Lifter or Exhaust Leak? (See video)

Quick Reply: Lifter or Exhaust Leak? (See video)