C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

replacement of oil pan gasket on 2004 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 04:51 PM
DennyWC
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacement of oil pan gasket on 2004 corvette

C5 2004 hatchback with 71,000 miles, started seeing light colored 1/4" size oil drops on garage floor under the oil pan. Is this worth fixing and average cost?
Old 10-19-2018, 05:03 PM
zachaeous
Melting Slicks

Received 451 Likes on 376 Posts

I would have the area cleaned and make sure where the oil is coming from. It could be many different things besides the oil pan gasket. Oil pressure sender leaking and running down dripping at the rear of the oil pan. Rear main seal starring to leak. Front crankshaft seal leaking, it will blow back and leak appearing to be the oil pan leaking.

If it is the upper oil pan gasket it requires lowering or dropping the front cradle to allow for changing the upper pan gasket. I would say you are looking at over a thousand dollars or more to change the pan gasket depending where you chose to have ot repaired.
Old 10-19-2018, 05:05 PM
DDaaryl
Melting Slicks

Received 630 Likes on 395 Posts

I have to agree that checking the oil pressure sending unit is the next logical step because gravity wins and the oil runs down there
Old 10-19-2018, 10:30 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,305 Likes on 13,977 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Moved to C5 Tech.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:19 PM
DennyWC
3rd Gear

Thanks, check and found its the gasket. I got a call from the owner of The Corvette Shop, and he said here in Orange County, California it would be around $2000 or more to replace. He said, if I am not losing oil and have good oil pressure don't replace because it more than likely leak again. He said the gasket is the problem. Its aluminon with signal bead of sealer and it does not seal good like other gasket materials. I have great oil pressure and loss 1/16 qt over last 6 months. Think I will not try and replace.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:02 PM
6speedsteve
Drifting

Received 486 Likes on 311 Posts

Maybe recheck the torque on the oil pan bolts, may help, may not, at least try that 1st.
Old 10-23-2018, 12:03 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by 6speedsteve
Maybe recheck the torque on the oil pan bolts, may help, may not, at least try that 1st.
LOL!!! I have to totally agree with 6speedsteve!!! The C5 & C6 OEM oil pan gasket are pretty robust and fail proof. Its a good design. Most all of the leaky oil pans that I have encountered were the result of loose main pan bolts. Just retorque to the OEM spec and see if your leak issue resolves its self.

If you have an A4 Auto trans, it makes the job a little more difficult because you have to deal with the trans oil cooler lines. Nothing too bad, just more to work around. DO NOT over torque the bolts!! later model C5 have a TWO piece oil pan. The lower section of the pan have very small fasteners. There spec is in INCH POUNDS. If you over torque them they will strip out.

Oil Pan to Engine block = 25 Nm or 18 ft/lb
Lower pan cover = 12 Nm or 106 inch pounds

IF, the gasket is damaged and or the rubber seal strip on the aluminum framed gasket is too hard, YEP, you will have to replace the gasket.

Give the retorque a try and save some cash. It can be done on jack stands in your drive way with basic hand tools.

Last edited by Bill Curlee; 10-23-2018 at 12:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
6speedsteve (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 04:55 PM
DennyWC
3rd Gear

Thanks All,
Retorque, I was going to ask if that was a possible fix. With only 70,000 miles, I was hoping that it was not a major fix and cost. Going to give it a try right after I get some of my HUNEY-DOSSSSSS done!
Old 10-23-2018, 05:09 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by DennyWC
Thanks, check and found its the gasket. I got a call from the owner of The Corvette Shop, and he said here in Orange County, California it would be around $2000 or more to replace. He said, if I am not losing oil and have good oil pressure don't replace because it more than likely leak again. He said the gasket is the problem. Its aluminon with signal bead of sealer and it does not seal good like other gasket materials. I have great oil pressure and loss 1/16 qt over last 6 months. Think I will not try and replace.
Which Corvette shop diagnosed this? Which of the 2 gaskets did they say was bad, upper or lower? The upper is the block to pan and the lower is between the pan and lower pan (batwing).

Gary
Old 10-23-2018, 05:56 PM
Bill Curlee
Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,180 Likes on 1,583 Posts
CI 6,7,8,9,11 Vet
St. Jude Donor '08

Nothing major or difficult about a Retorque. You just need to get the right sockets, extensions, swivels and ratchets. Some of the bolts you may need to get with a socket swivel and may not be able to actually torque with a torque wrench but, once you get one properly torqued, you will be able to get the ones that require a swivel tighten properly by feel.

Oh, you will need a good light also. :-)

BC
Old 10-23-2018, 06:28 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Be careful retorquing oil pan bolts. If it feels like it's turning a little *too* much, stop immediately! If the threads are oily, you can easily overtorque the bolts (without exceeding the factory torque spec!) and pull the threads out of the block. I know, because I did exactly that, trying to fix a leak. If possible it might even be worthwhile to completely remove the bolt and spray both it and the hole with brake/carb cleaner to remove oil, wipe the bolt and dry the hole with compressed air before reinstalling. Good luck.
Old 10-24-2018, 12:00 PM
voda1
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TastyBacon
Be careful retorquing oil pan bolts. If it feels like it's turning a little *too* much, stop immediately! If the threads are oily, you can easily overtorque the bolts (without exceeding the factory torque spec!) and pull the threads out of the block. I know, because I did exactly that, trying to fix a leak. If possible it might even be worthwhile to completely remove the bolt and spray both it and the hole with brake/carb cleaner to remove oil, wipe the bolt and dry the hole with compressed air before reinstalling. Good luck.
Good advice, especially for the 2 bolts on rear of pan that screw into this cover (circled in blue):

The following users liked this post:
awches (11-02-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To replacement of oil pan gasket on 2004 corvette

Quick Reply: replacement of oil pan gasket on 2004 corvette