C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quantico cylinder heads

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 04:47 PM
oVoSanto
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Quantico cylinder heads

Hi all, I have found this brand on ebay. They sell SBC or BBC heads for really low prices!
Are good heads or there is too much China in them? thx

https://www.qcylinderheads.com/

Last edited by oVoSanto; 10-20-2018 at 04:48 PM.
Old 10-20-2018, 05:23 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

I would buy them bare and check them out.........$80 increase for assembled=crap components.....I would not trust it.
You can purchase an Egin cylinder head kit for $130 on E-bay.....set them up and lap them yourself. The lap margin and the guide clearance is what to look for and critical.
Even if they were purchased assembled....they should come apart to check.
They also have no studs and guide plates.......there is another added expense........I would call them and get the real story about who makes them for them.

Jebby
The following users liked this post:
oVoSanto (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:56 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Unless you can hear from several folks who have purchased and installed those heads with successful results, you would do better to continue your search. My experience says that when you are looking for a quality product, the least expensive part NEVER achieves your goal. In any event, taking that gamble, without having anyone to vouch for that product, is risky.
oVoSanto (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 05:08 AM
oVoSanto
Instructor

And what about Procomp Kits? I read good review about them.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:45 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,635 Posts

ProComp
And then there's:
ProFiler
ProMaxx

When shopping for heads, look for:
Price
Reviews
What is the flow CFM, & chamber size.
What is the grade of aluminum material
What are the valveguides made of
What spring diameters & pressure comes with it
Do the spring pockets allow for up grades
What is the max lift of the springs
Are pushrod guide plates available
Are the rocker studs threaded & high quality
Do I want angled plugs or straight

I can vouch for ProMaxx. Two years now, zero issues. I have some pictures in my profile photo album.
They run around seven bills fully loaded. They are budget heads but are of good quality. I don't need 1300-2,000 dollars heads for occasional street driving. I am not at the track every weekend, nor am I on the street every day. I wanted something practical, reasonable & realistic that puts out some decent H.P.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-22-2018 at 09:29 AM.
oVoSanto (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:27 PM
oVoSanto
Instructor

I found this kit on ebay:
https://www.ebay.it/itm/Chevy-SBC-35...53.m1438.l2649

With my C3 I run about 3000 miles/year, and NO track. I think that this could be a good choice, right?
Old 10-21-2018, 01:49 PM
oVoSanto
Instructor

Originally Posted by HeadsU.P.
I have some pictures in my profile photo album.

I saw them, thank you!
Old 10-21-2018, 04:30 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

I have no comment because I could not get any pictures to come up. However, using my check list you can verify that those heads . . . . . . . . . .

I just noticed you don't live just down the block from U.S. Shipping is going to be your hero or your worst nightmare.

With any shipment that weighs a hundred pounds or so, make sure that the seller is able to take care of the return shpg in the event that something goes wrong. With that much weight, if you have to pay the return, it could cost as much as one of the heads. eBay may or may not get involved with returns from Europe.

Update:
Ok, I now saw pictures. I am not a big fan of kits. Why? Because you are at the mercy of using parts you may not want. Maybe the heads are great, but the rockerarms suck. Maybe the pushrods will work but the valvecovers are cheap. For one thing, I do not like Spread-bore Intakes. That's what I have now, but will replace. You can run a Holley on them but its designed for a QJet. I would rather part out Top-End parts individually. I know it cost more, but I can get EXACTLY what I want. But, its your money.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-22-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 05:21 PM
oVoSanto
Instructor

I think that of this kit I will use only the heads and probably the rockers. In a box I have an edelbrock 2701 intake and good valvecovers.
The shipping to Italy is about 90E, a return could be no so problematic.... The fact is that in Italy it's impossible to find a seller for this stuff.

The intake and valve covers of this kit surely sucks but could be used to finish a stock engine that i have.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:52 PM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

Ok. Just seems like a waste of money to buy valve covers and a dual plane spreadbore intake which you already have.
I did not see any specs on the heads. Flow rate, chamber size, valve sizes, estimated compression ratio, etc.

Do you know if Summit or Jegs sells / ships to Italy? They would have exactly what you need: heads, rockers, better intake.
Also, somebody said there is a Amazon in Europe with performance parts. Search that. Amazon- SBC heads.

Update;
And let me warn you that you will need expensive head gaskets that are compatible with aluminum to iron mating.
You will need ARP head bolt kit.
You will need longer pushrods because the rocker stud "pad" is seldom the same distance from the cam as stock.
You will need a pushrod length checker to verify this.
So figure another $300+

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-21-2018 at 09:03 PM.
oVoSanto (10-22-2018)
Old 10-22-2018, 05:48 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sorry that kit is the same level of junk, Lots of those on ebay.
Doesnt matter how few miles you drive if they are poor quality youll probably have a failure.
Try and get some name brand stuff, & still have it looked at by a machinist
Old 10-22-2018, 09:22 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Do not buy inexpensive aluminum heads fully assembled. The castings themselves aren't so bad. But the castings aren't going up and down 7000 times a minute. Buy Bare castings by the valves by the Springs by the retainers all reputable name brand stuff.those assembled heads are about a hundred bucks more than a bear head. Means that's less than $100 worth of valve springs retainers, Etc. Means they're all cheap junk. I almost bought a 496 off a guy near me. He bought a $5,000 running engine kit with Pro Comp heads on it. 1 intake valve popped off at idle. Ate the Piston ate the boar so it wrecked the block. Wreck the one head. All that from one cheap valve. Now there were 15 more cheap valves in those heads.he wanted three grand for the whole set up after it died. He ended up settling for 500 bucks. So the cheap valves cost him about $4,500.

Last edited by derekderek; 10-22-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:36 AM
HeadsU.P.
Le Mans Master

To post # 11 & 12. He is in Italy. He can't just go to a web site and double click on parts, wait for the UPS truck to honk the horn.
Overseas shpg can be a challenge and as stated can cost almost as much as the parts.
Returns are the same way. We take for granted our big car parts stores will make a defective order right in a couple days, just by calling them.

Last edited by HeadsU.P.; 10-22-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:01 PM
oVoSanto
Instructor

Thank you all for your shares, i really appreciate them. I read many good reviews about Procomp heads, in this forum and other ones, this is the reason why I'm interested to them. Also because with about 1100E, I could have this kit at home. For a pair of edelbrock I have to spend more then double.
So if I understand well, a good choiche could be to buy the bare heads but branded valves, springs and other stuffs. This could be a reasonable solution?

@derekderek , sad story!
Old 10-23-2018, 02:17 AM
bmans vette
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 351 Likes on 304 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13, '15- '16-'17-'18-'19, '21

Buy the best heads you can afford....not the cheapest ones because you will only drive short time/distance.

What I do is search info carefully. I also directly ask guys on this forum and a few others directly by private message for their feedback instead of just a general question on an open forum. People take you more seriously that way and tend to give greater details when answering.

THEN.....I decide which heads I want and then I scour ebay and other sites including the parts for sale section here. I look for guys selling off parts for projects that they never got around to but are brand new. Just been sitting on the shelf. Or I look for slightly used that I can rebuild. I found Dart heads for my 406 build and my 421 build that way. One set was new and 20% less than regular price. Other set was used and half price. Trick is you have to not be in a hurry. I have 2 complete engines worth of parts to build this winter and probably have only 50% in them as compared to buying everything at regular price. Took 2 yrs to collect it all but everything will be top shelf.

Good luck.....

Stay away from Chinese junk......
oVoSanto (10-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Quantico cylinder heads

Quick Reply: Quantico cylinder heads