C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

THANK YOU CF - replaced starter, DIY

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:58 PM
jbripps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default THANK YOU CF - replaced starter, DIY

Hi all - just wanted to drop a general thank you note. I got my '06 about a month ago. I've been working out some smaller issues, like cleaning the door contacts for much better opening of the doors. Recently, I was having an issue, on and off with starting the car. Sometimes, it would start up, no issue. Other times, it would crank and grind a while before turning over....terrible sound that is. After researching here, I figured it was the fuel pump, or starter/solenoid. I brought it to the dealership near me, and they advised that my negative terminal was not tight enough....and that all was well. I was thrilled, even though I felt a bit silly, since I had just replaced the battery and failed to tighten the terminal enough. Anyhow, I picked up the car, paid the $145 diagnostic fee and went on my way. After a short stop for about 10 minutes, I went to start up and heard that awful grind again. Yes, pissed.

Anyhow, I was going to replace the solenoid on the starter, but saw at Advanced Auto Parts, they had a refurbished starter for under 100 bucks after my 25% discount coupon. So, with that, I put the car up and got underneath. This is something I would not have tried without seeing the process right here. I was lucky, 2 bolts, 2 connectors and loosing the bracket a bit and the starter came out with some manipulating. Did not need to loosen the catalytic converter or any pipes at all. I went to Advanced with the starter. There were issues testing the unit with their machine, but when the tech looked at it, he advised that the old starter was one of theirs, and since it has a lifetime warranty, they gave me the "new" starter without a fee....wow! I think I'll put some heat shield on this one....but it does have a lifetime warranty.

Got home, took about 20 minutes to get it back in. Car started right up.....and after a short run, zero issues for a dozen cranks. Pretty cool! I haven't diy'd on a car in about 10 years, so this was really cool. If anyone sees this, it's a very doable job if there aren't headers to deal with. And, I think I saved myself about $600-$700 bucks.

This place is an incredible tool, thanks to those that post and document how to do so many projects.

Jon
The following users liked this post:
Landru (10-22-2018)
Old 10-20-2018, 10:38 PM
4SUMERZ
Race Car Tech
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,320 Likes on 1,664 Posts

Congrats on a job well done. I agree that this is the best car forum on the internet for getting issued resolved, or at least issues answered and help given to try to help the OP.
It is "cool" and added satisfaction of doing It yourself successfully.
jbripps (10-20-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 12:31 PM
Hawk68
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great story.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:48 PM
HBsurfer
Le Mans Master

Received 1,105 Likes on 706 Posts

It's is a great feeling handling something like that yourself. Nice work!
jbripps (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:13 PM
EVRose
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 612 Posts

Good job! Give you a good idea of how bad the dealer will rip you off with the $$ they charge for the part and to do such a simple repair.
jbripps (10-21-2018)
Old 10-21-2018, 01:13 PM
Vet Interested
Le Mans Master

Received 2,093 Likes on 1,207 Posts

Can't beat the cost! Great job.
One question. The dealer said it was a loose terminal. But you still had the problem after you left. So the dealer was wrong? If so, I had an issue where the dealer misdiagnoised a problem. I returned to the dealer with the paperwork that proved they made an error. The service manager said "sometimes we make mistakes" and refunded the fee. Might be worth a try.

Last edited by Vet Interested; 10-21-2018 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 01:29 PM
R_W
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

That's what we're here for!
I love the DIYs and information available here so much that I donated to become a Lifetime Member. Pay it forward to others and the forums!
Old 10-21-2018, 05:18 PM
jbripps
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Vet Interested
Can't beat the cost! Great job.
One question. The dealer said it was a loose terminal. But you still had the problem after you left. So the dealer was wrong? If so, I had an issue where the dealer misdiagnoised a problem. I returned to the dealer with the paperwork that proved they made an error. The service manager said "sometimes we make mistakes" and refunded the fee. Might be worth a try.
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the support! Yes, I will email the dealership and see if they can work with me, and if not, I will never go there again....
Old 10-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Dano523
Race Director

Received 3,019 Likes on 2,175 Posts

Good job, but the heat shield for the starters are less then $20, only take a little trimming/making the front L bracket, and well work the effort.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Alumi...ters,5745.html

Last edited by Dano523; 10-21-2018 at 10:03 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Smokeysvette
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I too want to give a shoot out too and especially Dano523 for helping me with a similar issue on my starter. I had questions and he helped me solve them as I was new to the C6 crowd (and still am).
I have always been in the C4 forums because I have always had C4's for the past ten years and still currently still have two.
I always loved the looks of the C6 but never made the jump. Well I did and never looked back, and thanks to Dano and others that replied right away to my starter problem that helped right away.
I'm 68 years old and a cancer survivor and just can't do near the stuff I used to do when I was younger. But still I'm so glad to have a forum like this to get great and precise answers. So thanks all from me too

Get notified of new replies

To THANK YOU CF - replaced starter, DIY

Quick Reply: THANK YOU CF - replaced starter, DIY