C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushings -- Poly or Rubber?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2018, 03:26 PM
Dougtov
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Bushings -- Poly or Rubber?

Hi All,
Its been awhile.
Just gutted the rear end, de rusted, cleaned, painted and am ready to purchase bushings. I've read posts about which is best, rubber or Ploy and as usual am just as confused about the right choice as before I read the posts!
Is there a right or wrong choice? Is the ride noticeably smoother with Rubber on all applications or a combination of both.
Much appreciated advice is welcomed.
Thank you in advance.
Dougtov.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:40 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Dougtov
...Is there a right or wrong choice?...
No. Choice is a matter of personal preference. I run stock rubber in both of my C3s since they're occasional drivers and I don't need poly for what I do.
Old 10-23-2018, 03:49 PM
Dougtov
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Thanks Easy. I think you just answered my question without realizing it!. Rubber it is since mine is also a weekend driver--.
Dougtov
Old 10-23-2018, 04:14 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,696 Likes on 2,936 Posts

I am going rubber on mine as well.
There is a difference in the quality of rubber offered through different vendors.
I purchased the good Moog rubber bushing kit for the entire car through Van Steel.
They will sell you the front and rear kits or individual bushings if you don't need everything included in the kits.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 10-23-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:37 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Nothing wrong with either poly or rubber. Poly is a lot easier to install though.
Old 10-23-2018, 05:12 PM
Rotonda
Burning Brakes

Received 85 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by resdoggie
Nothing wrong with either poly or rubber. Poly is a lot easier to install though.
Each has its proponents, and each material has its drawbacks (For instance I had poly some time ago and the squeaks drove me crazy).
The only place I would NOT use poly is the rear strut rods. The wheel movements seems to eat them on my car, and I was not happy with rubber. I eventually went with heim rod ends and have not been disappointed.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Lakeside49
Burning Brakes

Received 348 Likes on 192 Posts

The poly give you slightly more road feel. The deflection point (our OE engineers call it the "durometer scale") is different vs. rubber so it provides a slightly tighter feel but at the expense of NVH being slightly harsher especially with cold ambient temperatures. The GM engineers tried to reduce NVH when the car went more upscale and cruiser oriented - that's when they moved to rubber body mounts from the solid aluminum alloy pucks.
Good luck -

Last edited by Lakeside49; 10-24-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:39 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,150 Likes on 2,338 Posts

What's the application?

For joints with more than just rotational movement, rubber is best. On the rear, this means:

Trailing arm bushing (forward end of trailing arm), has to be rubber (or welding is required)
Strut rod bushings should not be poly*

*I highly recommend heim-joints for the strut rods, made a huge difference.

What's left? Trans mount, shock mounts, sway bar bushings (if present, and stock style) can be poly, AFAIK.
Old 10-23-2018, 09:45 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts

I'm going to join in on this discussion since I plan a front end rebuilt this year for my '69. Doesn't poly exhibit better wear characteristics over rubber (and better handling characteristics) at the expense
of comfort (since rubber is more mallable)?
Old 10-23-2018, 09:56 PM
The13Bats
Race Director

Received 772 Likes on 645 Posts

The right answer is different from car to car person to person and in my case on my 69 i use mostly good poly and some heim and johnny joints,
I try to avoid rubber.
If you can find good rubber nothing wrong with it.
The following users liked this post:
Cavu2u (10-24-2018)
Old 10-24-2018, 02:27 AM
v2racing
Melting Slicks

Received 287 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
The right answer is different from car to car person to person and in my case on my 69 i use mostly good poly and some heim and johnny joints,
I try to avoid rubber.
I'm with Bats here. Myself, I also try to avoid rubber on my corvette, but I can see where many guys don't need better than stock was. They were great cars in there time, and that's what some want to preserve and I completely understand that.

Mike
Old 10-24-2018, 09:02 AM
Cavu2u
Melting Slicks

Received 125 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by The13Bats
I try to avoid rubber.
Top A-arms are cracking my rubber bushings without fail after only a year or so of use on my '73. With driving < 25 highway miles twice, maybe three times a week tops. Two times replaced and cracked again now. Installed per factory repair manual, with proper torque and weight on wheels. Lubricated with moly-B and used different brand rubber too.
Going with black poly this time.

Just me.
Steve
Old 10-24-2018, 01:00 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Put lots of lube on those poly's.
Old 10-24-2018, 01:11 PM
Steve Ference
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Poly, a Corvette is a "sports car", right?

I have spent 35 years trying to make my car perform better than a Ferrari, and it does!
Old 10-24-2018, 06:38 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Even if your car is s 'weekend warrior'. BUT you want to drive it with some spirit and take curvy roads and have fun doing so.

I have installed the Global West del-a-lum bushings and those customers who wanted me to install them have not regretted it at all. These bushings have grease fittings in them so they can be lubricated..

I have installed rubber, poly and now the Global West del-a-lum bushings and like it has been stated. It all depends on what a person wants out of their car .....even as going as far as installing 'johnny joints' in the trailing arms and using heim/spherical ended strut rods.

So...it all depends on what a person is planning on using the car for and what they want it to do for them.

DUB

Get notified of new replies

To Bushings -- Poly or Rubber?

Quick Reply: Bushings -- Poly or Rubber?