C6 Corvette General Discussion General C6 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Long tube headers with check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 07:22 PM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

Default Long tube headers with check engine light

Just purchased a 10 GS with Melrose long tube headers,high flow cats and a Air Raid air intake,check engine light is on and the mechanic tells me that the light is on because the original cats were removed and need to be returned or it needs to be taken to a dyno shop to have the computer fix the problem......any suggestions short of reverting back to OEM
Old 11-13-2018, 07:42 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,806 Likes on 4,237 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Most likely need to have the rear O2 sensors turned off. This is accomplished with a tune along with changing other perimeters so the car is maximizing the additional performance from the added modifications.
Old 11-13-2018, 07:52 PM
88redconvert
Burning Brakes

Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Long tube headers almost always throw the check engine light. If there are any tuners in your area they can just turn the rear O2 sensors off. Mine did the same thing.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:19 PM
TorchRedFred
Le Mans Master

Received 1,636 Likes on 1,121 Posts

I would assume the previous owner had a tune done with the mods, but if not, like JabCat and others stated, you definitely need one to tune out the rear 02 sensors and to get the full performance benefits of the mods.

Last edited by TorchRedFred; 11-13-2018 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-13-2018, 10:57 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

If he has rear cats, doesn't he have rear sensor bungs? Wouldn't the rear sensors be in place? And, if the tune is'was done right, wouldn't he be good to go without having to turn off the rear sensors? Sounds more to me like either the sensors were cut, or there was never a tune done after LT install.

OP, please be sure to let us know what the fix is.
Old 11-14-2018, 07:43 AM
Batman75
Burning Brakes

Received 191 Likes on 128 Posts

[QUOTE=buckmeister2;1598332001]

Sent PM Jim, would like the name of the two instructors.
Old 11-14-2018, 09:25 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
If he has rear cats, doesn't he have rear sensor bungs? Wouldn't the rear sensors be in place? And, if the tune is'was done right, wouldn't he be good to go without having to turn off the rear sensors? Sounds more to me like either the sensors were cut, or there was never a tune done after LT install.

OP, please be sure to let us know what the fix is.
The longtubes remove 2 of the cats (going from 4 to 2) so the O2 sensor placement is also different. With longtubes the rear O2s are turned off because their placement causes the engine light (reading lean/rich I can’t remember) & the tune takes care of correcting those parameters. My guess is the original owner did not get a tune.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:44 AM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 382 Likes on 306 Posts

Headers=tune.....everytime

Clif
Old 11-14-2018, 03:29 PM
buckmeister2
Le Mans Master

Received 1,206 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT

The longtubes remove 2 of the cats (going from 4 to 2) so the O2 sensor placement is also different. With longtubes the rear O2s are turned off because their placement causes the engine light (reading lean/rich I can’t remember) & the tune takes care of correcting those parameters. My guess is the original owner did not get a tune.

Thanks for the clarification, Jab. I have seen LT's with bungs, and without, and header mid-pipes with cats with bungs for rear sensors. Didn't know what the OP had,but figured he at least needs a tune. So, if your headers have bungs for the fore sensors, and you have cats behind them with bungs for the rear, wouldn't you just plug in all the sensors and get a tune?

Last edited by buckmeister2; 11-14-2018 at 03:30 PM.
Old 11-14-2018, 04:46 PM
Orion2011
Burning Brakes

Received 169 Likes on 126 Posts

Just turn the rear O2's off with a tuner.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:20 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Originally Posted by buckmeister2
Thanks for the clarification, Jab. I have seen LT's with bungs, and without, and header mid-pipes with cats with bungs for rear sensors. Didn't know what the OP had,but figured he at least needs a tune. So, if your headers have bungs for the fore sensors, and you have cats behind them with bungs for the rear, wouldn't you just plug in all the sensors and get a tune?
I'm far from technically fluent on this, mostly what I've researched when I installed my longtubes & exhaust. My understanding is it has to do with the placement of the sensors & the increased exhaust output not being funneled through 4 cats. I'm trying to remember when I removed the stock exhaust, I believe the front O2s were right up next to the manifolds & the rears were just past the first set of cats (don't quote me on that). With the longtubes the fronts get moved way down to the end of the headers where they meet the x-pipe/cats (if you have them) and the rears get moved to after the 2nd set of cats, at least that's where my bungs are on the LG's. I believe, again not an expert, that change in location and the removal of the two front cats causes the rear O2s to foul pretty quick causing the check engine light, and they aren't needed. So most x-pipes come with bolts to close off the rear bungs or you could install the O2s but just have them turned off by your tuner.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:32 PM
Ahrmike
Burning Brakes

Received 174 Likes on 145 Posts

I put a 90 extension on my uncatted headers and it throws a CEL once in a while. Heard the same thing happens even if you run a HFC so I guess they work?
Old 11-15-2018, 08:19 AM
MYCoupe
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I'm far from technically fluent on this, mostly what I've researched when I installed my longtubes & exhaust. My understanding is it has to do with the placement of the sensors & the increased exhaust output not being funneled through 4 cats. I'm trying to remember when I removed the stock exhaust, I believe the front O2s were right up next to the manifolds & the rears were just past the first set of cats (don't quote me on that). With the longtubes the fronts get moved way down to the end of the headers where they meet the x-pipe/cats (if you have them) and the rears get moved to after the 2nd set of cats, at least that's where my bungs are on the LG's. I believe, again not an expert, that change in location and the removal of the two front cats causes the rear O2s to foul pretty quick causing the check engine light, and they aren't needed. So most x-pipes come with bolts to close off the rear bungs or you could install the O2s but just have them turned off by your tuner.
Just to clarify this for everybody. The front O2 sensors are the ones actually used to measure and adjust the A/F ratio. The rear ones are used to measure the efficiency of the catalytic converters. When switching to LT headers, even with cats in the x-pipe their efficiency is not the same as the OEM ones hence the check engine light comes on. As others have said the solution is to turn them off as they are basically useless.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 AM
itomh
Pro

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Either buy a tuner and tune car or get a proper dyno tune that is required after adding headers, not cheap, probably $500+. Another option, the cheapest, would be to pull your PCM located behind front passenger wheel under the wheel fender. I went this route when I installed my headers myself. From shipping to return to me was about 5 days $149 plus shipping. Cost effective and not as aggressive as a dyno tune, but you will leave a coupe ponies on the table.

https://www.eastcoastsupercharging.c...er-tuning-faqs
Old 11-15-2018, 11:01 AM
S.C. vette
Melting Slicks

Received 314 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by Orion2011
Just turn the rear O2's off with a tuner.
ditto
Old 11-15-2018, 11:46 AM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by MYCoupe
Just to clarify this for everybody. The front O2 sensors are the ones actually used to measure and adjust the A/F ratio. The rear ones are used to measure the efficiency of the catalytic converters. When switching to LT headers, even with cats in the x-pipe their efficiency is not the same as the OEM ones hence the check engine light comes on. As others have said the solution is to turn them off as they are basically useless.
Ditto
Old 11-16-2018, 08:26 PM
catnaround
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 41 Posts

want to thank everyone for the information,i did take the car to a tuner in tampa and everything is well thanks again

Get notified of new replies

To Long tube headers with check engine light

Old 11-16-2018, 10:12 PM
mrk1957
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by catnaround
want to thank everyone for the information,i did take the car to a tuner in tampa and everything is well thanks again
Glad all worked out.
Old 11-17-2018, 04:50 PM
0Tampa Tuning
Former Vendor

Received 110 Likes on 92 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12

Default Corvette Tuner in Tampa

Thanks for stopping by yesterday and it was a pleasure to calibrate your beautiful GS Corvette. There was several rookie mistakes made to your Corvettes computer which I enjoyed correcting. Im glad your back up and running with some extra power !

Home of the $295 Calibration with HP Tuners and wideband for stock to bolt ons Corvettes and Camaros to be street race tuned.

Tampa Tuning's in-depth computer process includes low end parking lot driving, cruising at highway speed and WOT.

<<<<<<>>>>>> Check out our Website: www.TampaTuning.com

Reach us at : Tuning@TampaTuning.com

Phil- Owner of Tampa Tuning.

Corvette Camaro Truck Tuner in Tampa Orlando
Old 11-18-2018, 12:03 PM
Complete Street
Supporting Vendor

Received 101 Likes on 57 Posts

Just purchased a 10 GS with Melrose long tube headers,high flow cats and a Air Raid air intake,check engine light is on and the mechanic tells me that the light is on because the original cats were removed and need to be returned or it needs to be taken to a dyno shop to have the computer fix the problem......any suggestions short of reverting back to OEM
Get it tuned. We could possibly help via mail order if no one local can work with you. Info is in the sig. Thanks!

Last edited by Complete Street; 11-18-2018 at 12:04 PM.

Quick Reply: Long tube headers with check engine light