Sponsored by:

GM’s business model

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2018, 10:46 PM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Received 641 Likes on 476 Posts

Default GM’s business model

I was reading about gm today. The new business model is selling the dAta these new gm cars from 2016 and on capture. Evidently the c7’s and now other models have a whole bunch of data collection points on where You drive how You drive to sell to insurance companies. And data on roads The car is being driven on , businesses U drive by and they can use that data to market to me and sell that data to businesses in the vicinity you drive by so those business can pander to you.

According to gm the data your car collects about you over a 3 year period can be sold for more then the price of the car.

This seems to be be an invasion of privacy and I don’t recall signing any contracts when I bought my c7 allowing them to collect and resell this data about me.

I wonder if there is any legal recourse to this owners can take against gm for invasion of privacy?
The following 2 users liked this post by Mr. Gizmo:
rogergcam (11-14-2018), VaydorVette1 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-13-2018, 10:52 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,001 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Probably not.

Think about it.....OnStar basically owns your C7. They know exactly how the car is being driven. It's 1984. That's the way it is.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:24 AM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Similar to Facebook and others. Even credit bureaus.
Old 11-14-2018, 03:19 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Gizmo
I was reading about gm today. The new business model is selling the dAta these new gm cars from 2016 and on capture. Evidently the c7’s and now other models have a whole bunch of data collection points on where You drive how You drive to sell to insurance companies. And data on roads The car is being driven on , businesses U drive by and they can use that data to market to me and sell that data to businesses in the vicinity you drive by so those business can pander to you.

According to gm the data your car collects about you over a 3 year period can be sold for more then the price of the car.

This seems to be be an invasion of privacy and I don’t recall signing any contracts when I bought my c7 allowing them to collect and resell this data about me.

I wonder if there is any legal recourse to this owners can take against gm for invasion of privacy?
I bet there is.
But I wouldn't take the privacy route. Instead, I would claim the value of the data belongs to who ever generates the data points, not GM.
I don't know if that would get anywhere.
Ideally, every single new car owner would disable the mechanism that transmits the data, chopping the manufacturer off at the knees, then demand the majority of the proceeds generated from their driving behaviors.
The following 2 users liked this post by PatternDayTrader:
Gnarley Z51 (11-21-2018), VaydorVette1 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:10 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

How many of us shop at supermarkets and use bonus cards or some other type of discount card from the store? They know what you buy, how much you buy and when you buy it. Welcome to the new world.
The following users liked this post:
itaylorm (11-22-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 07:33 AM
MikeERWNC
Melting Slicks

Received 227 Likes on 162 Posts

https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Key points about our information practicesCollection

We may collect information about you and your vehicle, such as name, address, email address, phone number, vehicle identification number (VIN) and vehicle performance data through your use of our products or services, and through GM affiliates, dealers, GM licensees for consumer merchandise, GM partners and others who provide information to us. See below to learn more.
Use

We may use your information to provide products and services, to maintain customer relationships, for safety and product research purposes, to provide customer and vehicle support and service, and for marketing. See below to learn more.
Sharing

We may share your information as required by law, within GM, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, with GM dealers, with GM licensees, with our service providers, and with our business partners. See below to learn more.
Morris9 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:06 AM
Flame Red
Le Mans Master

Received 1,086 Likes on 657 Posts

Originally Posted by tcinla
Similar to Facebook and others. Even credit bureaus.
GM should give us the cars for free, and OnStar should be free if they are using the Google, Face Book, and Amazon models.But then again, if it were me I would just like to pocket the $ of that revenue stream while I could...

Europe has passed laws that we own the data not the FANG.

Don't like it, neuter OnStar, but that will not help as Google is listening to every word you say, Amazon is listening to everything on your connect speakers, your cell phone carrier is watching your cell phone anyway.

Last edited by Flame Red; 11-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Flame Red:
JMII (11-14-2018), rogergcam (11-14-2018), VaydorVette1 (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:18 AM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,164 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Do you have a link to that article? There is no rational way you could sell the data on a single person for three years for the price of a new car!
lancekl (11-21-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 08:25 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by MikeERWNC
https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Key points about our information practicesCollection

We may collect information about you and your vehicle, such as name, address, email address, phone number, vehicle identification number (VIN) and vehicle performance data through your use of our products or services, and through GM affiliates, dealers, GM licensees for consumer merchandise, GM partners and others who provide information to us. See below to learn more.
Use

We may use your information to provide products and services, to maintain customer relationships, for safety and product research purposes, to provide customer and vehicle support and service, and for marketing. See below to learn more.
Sharing

We may share your information as required by law, within GM, with our GM controlled subsidiaries and affiliates, with GM dealers, with GM licensees, with our service providers, and with our business partners. See below to learn more.
pretty much validates what I described . Is there a way to disable the OnStar data collection? A wire that can be snipped while leaving the car otherwise operational ?

Is all the data still stored and accessible if on-star is not renewed after the 1 year trial subscription?
Old 11-14-2018, 08:30 AM
Mr. Gizmo
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Do you have a link to that article? There is no rational way you could sell the data on a single person for three years for the price of a new car!
i’ll look. But yes if you think about it’s perfectly logical. The data as collected on a vehicle as sold to a single vendor or service provider isn’t worth much. But if you multiple that very small amount times 10’s or hundreds of thousands or even millions of vendors or businesses it could be sold to it is worth a small fortune. That’s why gm is adding all that WiFi crap to the car along with the onstar service.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:42 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,928 Likes on 4,810 Posts

Another thing in this wonderful tech world of automobiles I will NOT worry about.
Old 11-14-2018, 08:52 AM
PatternDayTrader
Race Director

Received 1,056 Likes on 769 Posts

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
Lol … Time to visit the information age.
Old 11-14-2018, 10:09 AM
cowboy casey
Drifting

Received 573 Likes on 389 Posts

we are all tracked and recorded many many times a day and if you own apple, android, Alexa or Google home you are being recorded and tracked 24 hours a day... even if you turn every thing off your friends and family are tracking and recording you with there phones and devices...

Welcome to the new world...
Old 11-14-2018, 10:22 AM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

They don't sell your data. It's not "Jeff V's 2014 Z51 with VIN 12345 and odometer 21xxx was at QuikTrip for 10 minutes at 5:25pm on June 6 2018. His fuel level was 1/4 when he got there and 4/4 when he left."

They sell a big faceless cloud of everyone's data. It's a bunch of averages and trends. It's more like "We show an average of 27 of our connected vehicles drive past this location over a 24 hour period"

If GM scrubs the data so it isn't personally identifiable, I don't see how you can make a case for breach of privacy.
The following 3 users liked this post by Jeff V.:
Kent1999 (11-21-2018), LbulletM (11-15-2018), Maxpowers (11-14-2018)
Old 11-14-2018, 10:30 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,199 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
If GM scrubs the data so it isn't personally identifiable, I don't see how you can make a case for breach of privacy.
That's a big IF on GM scrubbing anything.

But you are correct that data privacy laws in the US are a joke. There is no case to be made on breach of privacy. In order to use anything that is collecting your data a simple release is signed each and every time - check the "OK" and "I agree" boxes in order to proceed. Your rights are now completely gone. Hopefully something will change but with the way our lawmakers work I will be dead and gone by the time that law reaches the light of day.....
Old 11-14-2018, 11:56 AM
Maxpowers
Le Mans Master

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,829 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff V.
They don't sell your data. It's not "Jeff V's 2014 Z51 with VIN 12345 and odometer 21xxx was at QuikTrip for 10 minutes at 5:25pm on June 6 2018. His fuel level was 1/4 when he got there and 4/4 when he left."

They sell a big faceless cloud of everyone's data. It's a bunch of averages and trends. It's more like "We show an average of 27 of our connected vehicles drive past this location over a 24 hour period"

Old 11-14-2018, 12:05 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,439 Likes on 2,059 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
GM should give us the cars for free, and OnStar should be free if they are using the Google, Face Book, and Amazon models.But then again, if it were me I would just like to pocket the $ of that revenue stream while I could...

Don't like it, neuter OnStar, but that will not help as Google is listening to every word you say, Amazon is listening to everything on your connect speakers, your cell phone carrier is watching your cell phone anyway.
That's a good perspective. Yes. Just having a cell phone relinquishes any hope of privacy. Just go to myactivity.google.com and you can see everywhere you have been, done, etc. I use it to track my exercise mileage, etc. Shows essentially everything you do and when including what websites you visit. It is all on by default. So if you have an Android phone have a look. Hope you weren't at any banks that have been robbed lately. You'll probably have an investigator on your tail. You can turn the tracking off, but it ain't easy as they say. You can search for instructions to shut "most" of the "features" off. I wonder if you should search how to do this on google?
PS.When you got to the site click on “other google activity” on the left side of the page and then under Location History select “view timeline”.

Last edited by joemessman; 11-14-2018 at 12:11 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To GM’s business model

Old 11-14-2018, 12:07 PM
JMII
Safety Car

Received 2,025 Likes on 1,349 Posts

Originally Posted by Flame Red
OnStar should be free if they are using the Google, Face Book, and Amazon models.
Very true.

I am always amazed at how many people do not understand Google, YouTube and Facebook's business model. You can opt out but that requires using other tools, for example https://duckduckgo.com/ for web searching.
Old 11-14-2018, 01:13 PM
FireRoc
Pro

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by JMII
Very true.

I am always amazed at how many people do not understand Google, YouTube and Facebook's business model. You can opt out but that requires using other tools, for example https://duckduckgo.com/ for web searching.
So true. As a friend of mine put it, those who use Facebook, Google, You Tube, etc are not the customers. They are the product, whose user information, these companies sell to their customers.
Old 11-14-2018, 06:35 PM
tcinla
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 619 Likes on 357 Posts

Quick Reply: GM’s business model