C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Supercharged LS3 Cam: BTR LS3 vs. Cam Motion

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2018, 09:39 AM
BlacknBluC6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Supercharged LS3 Cam: BTR LS3 vs. Cam Motion

Facts: 2012 Grand Sport A6, A&A V3 Ti w/meth.
Drive the car 2-3k miles a season, mostly weekend cruises with other cars doing some "spirited" driving, and started to take it to the drags a few times a month and want to go faster.
Own but not yet installed: Circle D Pro Billet 3400 Triple Disk stall, Innovators West 10%OD damper

Plans to cam and stall my car over the off-season here up in Western New York, and am looking for any recommendations based on experience running the Brian Tooley LS3 Supercharged camshaft https://www.briantooleyracing.com/bt...-camshaft.html or any of the bigger Cam Motion Supercharged LS camshafts http://www.cammotion.com/camshafts/s...-ls-camshafts/

CM has some bigger cams and I'm curious how they are in the car, surging at all past a stall, losing low-end power, etc. The BTR cam specs run 22X/24X .61X"/.59X" 115+5, I want it to chop hard without sacrificing too much down low and driveability. Cam Motion has a 232/365-XA248/355-116+5 or a bigger 236/365-XA252/355-116+5 but I wouldn't want to regret getting something too big that it's annoying.

Any help/opinions welcome! Thanks
Old 11-14-2018, 01:08 PM
Pekka_Perkeles
Burning Brakes

Received 80 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by BlacknBluC6
I want it to chop hard...
Very easy with even stock cam. Just let's tune it idle very low.

Same with performance cams.

Originally Posted by BlacknBluC6
...without sacrificing too much down low and driveability.
That's what tuning mostly is.

It's not just about what camshaft you selected, but of course it is more challenging when cams are very aggressive.

So with cam choice, pick your tuner as well, because you just can't run the engine without proper tuning.
Old 02-13-2019, 11:28 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts

I have a custom blower cam from cam motion on my C6z/procharger set up. I’m pretty sure BTR is using cam motion cores now. I went with cam motion for the core choices. I have the 8620. Call them and ask for Bob if you chose that’s route, or if you want BTR spec it for you that’s cool too, fairly certain they use CM’s **** now. I know I00% if you request the cam motion 8620’core BTR will use it and spec it out for you. Let me know if you want idle clips/cold start or it just raising complete chaos on the street.
Old 02-15-2019, 07:48 PM
BlackFya
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

@BlacknBluC6 What numbers did you out down with and without meth. I just installed a similar set up and looking to go cam with a 3200 stall down the road. I'm in line for more of a stealth cam vs the chain saw chop.
Old 02-16-2019, 06:30 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

BTR is one of the top LS cam people around. They know their stuff. Cam motion makes a quality product, but I would take Brian's choice of cam any day. In fact I had BTR spec my cam, and then cut on a cam motion core through them. So it doesn't have to be one or the other.

BTR uses comp and cam motion. Comps new surface treatment stuff is badass and they are really pushing ahead in LS stuff. Would have no issues running a comp.
Old 02-26-2019, 09:46 AM
BlacknBluC6
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackFya
@BlacknBluC6 What numbers did you out down with and without meth. I just installed a similar set up and looking to go cam with a 3200 stall down the road. I'm in line for more of a stealth cam vs the chain saw chop.
Car ran about 590rwhp on a Mustang chassis dyno w/meth - didn't own the car prior to meth so don't know the margin gain on it. I do know that temps stay pretty low even on hot summer days/nights.

I ended up buying the LS3 blower cam from BTR - should have some nice chop but not radical. Still have nothing installed as of today, though.

Get notified of new replies

To Supercharged LS3 Cam: BTR LS3 vs. Cam Motion

Quick Reply: Supercharged LS3 Cam: BTR LS3 vs. Cam Motion