C6 Forced Induction/Nitrous C6 Corvette Turbochargers, Superchargers, Pulley Upgrades, Intercoolers, Wet and Dry Nitrous Injection, Meth
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ProSpeed high output

Old 05-16-2018, 12:38 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Received 774 Likes on 582 Posts
Default ProSpeed high output

I know a lot of guys have water/coolant temp issues with F/I, Ive read damn near every post on here about it. I'm seeing temps that make me a bit uncomfortable(at idle/traffic) 230-235. I haven't seen it go any higher than 235 and I haven't got an overheat warning or limp mode. AC did shut off twice though. I have the dewit short but the factory fan. running around a 60/40 water/coolant could probably go a little more water though. tune is conservative so too much timing isn't the issue. seems like the intercooler is just blocking everything and the factory shroud is shitty. thought about vented hood or adding vents to help hot air escape. I found these fans searching and my tuner says these will damn sure do the trick.....but damn these are pricey. Anybody running these with success? worth the money? just for clarification interstate temps stay below 220 even on 85 degree and up days. had a few of those already in south Mississippi. I plan on getting underneath the car soon to see if I can create more air flow underneath where the air damn is, kinda looks like there isn't any air gap between the plastic front fascia support. looks like the plastic comes all the way till its touch the radiator. ill know more when I get ti lifted. also gonna try and pull the hood and see what if any drop in water temp.
Old 05-16-2018, 01:46 AM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

I sure hope they work. I just installed them yesterday for my shortened Dewitts after my stock fan melted my fuse box. I'll report back results soon.
Old 05-16-2018, 08:23 AM
Unreal
Team Owner

Received 2,313 Likes on 1,793 Posts

Too little timing is typically the issue, if it is related to timing, and "conservative" at WOT doesn't matter, what is the timing at idle/low speed/part throttle.
The following users liked this post:
Josh@AandASuperchargers (05-16-2018)
Old 05-16-2018, 10:00 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

I’ll check, my dash logic has a timing read out, your asking what the number it reads at idle correct? Don’t know a bunch about tuning yet and I don’t fully understand timing, I’ve got a basic concept but that’s about it for now. Any idea what it should read? I’m assuming it’s extremely variable depending on what’s done to the motor. I can give a run down of what’s done to mine if that helps.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:19 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

When I was discussing the heat issue with my tuner he told me timing was low already. I didn’t get a specific name number I know when we did the tune he said he was keeping it low or moderate until I rework the heads. I don’t daily drive it so I do it have it at work but I can post what the dashlogic is reading on timing when I get home.
Old 05-16-2018, 10:54 AM
BLOWNBLUEZ06@RKT Performance
Supporting Vendor

Received 314 Likes on 207 Posts

I feel there are many misunderstandings about timing. "more timing makes more power". That's true until you hit the top and then more will cook your motor. I'll step back in and give my .02 if I get time.
Old 05-16-2018, 12:33 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

I’d appreciate that, I’ve been trying to read up on what exactly adjusting timing does but haven’t really found anything that does a good job of explaining it.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:40 PM
Tech
Safety Car

Received 248 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by 73DBG
I’d appreciate that, I’ve been trying to read up on what exactly adjusting timing does but haven’t really found anything that does a good job of explaining it.
Any video or document that describes ignition timing should explain the basics. Here is the gist...

If you fire a spark plug too soon on the compression stroke, combustion works against the piston as it reaches top dead center (real bad). If you fire it too late, the piston will be running away from energy created from combustion. Each engine may benefit from different timing at different load and RPM. There is a sweet spot. Fortunately, the factory maps are pretty good at part throttle even for boosted cars. You don't really need to touch those areas of the table. If your tuner has, I'd love to hear why he/she did it and how they arrived on the final values. You'd need to do a spark hook test to find Minimum Best Timing... which is the least amount of timing that produces the best power, without knock.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:15 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Tech
Any video or document that describes ignition timing should explain the basics. Here is the gist...

If you fire a spark plug too soon on the compression stroke, combustion works against the piston as it reaches top dead center (real bad). If you fire it too late, the piston will be running away from energy created from combustion. Each engine may benefit from different timing at different load and RPM. There is a sweet spot. Fortunately, the factory maps are pretty good at part throttle even for boosted cars. You don't really need to touch those areas of the table. If your tuner has, I'd love to hear why he/she did it and how they arrived on the final values. You'd need to do a spark hook test to find Minimum Best Timing... which is the least amount of timing that produces the best power, without knock.

I couldn’t tell you for certain if the factory maps where touched or not. I know the prior owner and whoever tuned it last had serveal things that concerned my tuner to the point he said he wouldn’t tune it until these area are addressed. The injectors where several sizes to small for what was needed, it had the factory map sensor the plugs and wires were in bad shape. When he hooked up HP tuner he found some other alarming issues I was told. Apparently all the Knock sensors where off and deleted, something he said he’d never seen before. And the fuel ration was at 8:1 I was told that was ridiculous as well. New plugs/wires 850 injectors and a 3 bar map installed we started to dial in the tune. What specifically was done inside HP tuner not really sure and didn’t really understand everything anyway. Dudes been in this game a while. He was aware the heads weren’t addressed yet and that I was still getting a feel for the car. I think boost was 4.5psi at the max. I’ll post numbers of what the dashlogic reads on timing if that helps or sheds light on anything. I feel like he knows what he’s doing(could be wrong) but he was recommended by someone I have 100% trust in and pretty much everyone with a fast LS car in this area goes to him. I do hate not knowing all the technical ins and outs and I’m working on fixing that I’d really just like to see some lower temps.
Old 05-16-2018, 05:18 PM
tkr
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live in South FL. A/C and S/C don't work well in 90 plus temperature- traffic conditions, so I don't use A/C on short trips.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:08 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Well thisnits what’s interesting......temps don’t seem to change with AC on or off. Doesn’t get any hotter with it on and doesn’t seem to run cooler with off
Old 05-16-2018, 06:43 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Sit in my car right now and looking at the HUD display from the dashlogic. At idle timing is reading from 10-19 degrees it’s constantly jumping from 10-12 14 18 back to 10 and so on.giving it gas to about 4k In neutral it went to high 30’s low 40’s any idea if this is useful info to you guys who understand it? I don’t really have the best understanding of everything the dashlogic is doing I know you can program a ton of info but I also do know that for a lot of data it only knows what it’s been told. So I’m wondering how accurate the timing degree numbers are? I need to really get up to speed on it, just haven’t had the time yet. Anyway thanks for any input in advance

Last edited by 73DBG; 05-16-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 05-16-2018, 06:45 PM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Also my turner turned all the knock sensors back on the first time he touched the car and I haven’t had a knock sensor go off at all since the tune.Dashlogic reads that as well.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

hottest mine has ever seen is 220 when its 105 outside temp. stock fans and radiator.
I do push my fans to 95% and had to bypass the connector. The ac used to cut off when sitting in traffic or parking lot, but i reduced the freon and havent had an issue since.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:33 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by russ472
hottest mine has ever seen is 220 when its 105 outside temp. stock fans and radiator.
I do push my fans to 95% and had to bypass the connector. The ac used to cut off when sitting in traffic or parking lot, but i reduced the freon and havent had an issue since.

which supercharger do you have?
Old 05-17-2018, 09:44 AM
russ472
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 197 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by 73dbg

which supercharger do you have?
ecs 1500
Old 05-17-2018, 10:44 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by russ472
ecs 1500
well ****

Get notified of new replies

To ProSpeed high output

Old 05-17-2018, 01:49 PM
0Billy@MTI
Former Vendor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

We use their kits on a lot of builds in the shop. Top notch product!!
The following users liked this post:
D3PE (05-17-2018)
Old 05-20-2018, 01:19 AM
73DBG
Melting Slicks

Well after lifting the car in my garage, originally was trying to see if there was a way to increase the air flow from the air dam up into the radiator, maybe a trim of the plastic underneath or drilling some holes. When I was under the car I noticed a small orange(ish) drop of fluid on the bottom corner of the radiator. Haven’t had the car long but I’ve never seen it leak any fluid and definitely none to the ground. Gonna bring it in for a pressure test this week. I’m assuming if there is a small crack in the radiator that would definitely cause me to run higher temps?
Old 05-22-2018, 08:20 PM
Patriot Six
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 209 Posts

Well, I have some very limited feedback on the Prospeed dual fans. In mild 82 deg weather with AC on in heavy traffic, my coolant temps stayed at 208. This is about what my coolant temps would be in that weather without AC on and at least 10 deg cooler than with stock fan and AC on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ProSpeed high output