Old 11-14-2018, 07:32 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 464 Likes on 230 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19-'20-'21-'22
Default Front turn signal

Yet another electrical bug –
My left front turn signal is not working. The parking light works, but no flashing signal. It does not flash with the hazards on either.
I thought it may be the bulb, I replaced it, but no go. The left rear signal is working, as are the right front and rear.
Coincidentally, the left signal indicator on the dash is not lighting either. I know this was working when I got the car a week ago.
I checked wires, connectors, etc. Everything seems okay. I don't think it's the flasher, as all other signals are working.
Any thoughts on where I should start with this one?
Thanks as always.
Old 11-15-2018, 06:43 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Stare with the pins in the socket. Piece of sandpaper held with needlenose pliers. Should have another voila moment. There was this guy on another form. Used voila all the time. And couldn't spell it. Always posting Whalah!

Last edited by derekderek; 11-15-2018 at 07:34 AM.
The following users liked this post:
fastimes (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:53 AM
kaervek71
Cruising

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a bad bulb socket. Considering that you have parking lights, it's likely that the wire for the turn signal portion of the socket is shorted out inside the socket. I had this same problem with my '78 and found it to be a bad socket. I replaced the socket and everything was good as new. On the bright side, replacement sockets are fairly cheap and easy enough to replace.
fastimes (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 07:36 AM
Bills17n72
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 515 Likes on 360 Posts

what yr. car are you talking about?
Old 11-15-2018, 07:48 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by bills72n84
what yr. Car are you talking about?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:39 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Received 1,246 Likes on 966 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (appearance mods) 2019

I agree, start by testing the socket.
Here's how:
Attach a wire to a good ground and touch the other end to the BRASS of the socket.

fastimes (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 06:44 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

Your problem is not necessarily at the left park signal bulb as you may think. Due to your left run signal indicator in your speedometer is not working ....that is telling me you have a problem either in your turn signal switch itself.... OR...the light blue wire in your turn signal switch connector is NOT supply voltage to BOTH lights.

I would check the light blue wire at your turn signal connector under the steering column.

DUB
fastimes (11-15-2018)
Old 11-15-2018, 10:42 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks Dub. I tried to find the light blue wire, my goodness there is a lot going on under the dash. There's definitely been some wiring work done, quite a few newer looking plastic crimp connectors. I'm not sure where to look. Are you talking about a wire inside the steering column?
I saw a light blue wire but it was all taped up in a bundle that seemed to include the ignition buzzer. Electrical is certainly not my strong suit. If it were a bad switch or wire, wouldn't that affect the rear signal on that side?
Old 11-15-2018, 11:08 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Peterbuilt
I agree, start by testing the socket.
Here's how:
Attach a wire to a good ground and touch the other end to the BRASS of the socket.

Gave this a shot, nothing. I assume if it were the socket, it would have started flashing?
Old 11-16-2018, 12:03 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

http://www.corvetteamerica.com/catal...2%2C332%2C1150

You're in good hands so follow Dub's suggestion.
The 'harmonica' connection comes out of the steering column.
He is suggesting you check the blue wire at 'H'.
Old 11-16-2018, 12:05 AM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by fastimes
Gave this a shot, nothing. I assume if it were the socket, it would have started flashing?
Yes, if the socket was the problem the bulb would light up.
Now find the harmonica connection and follow Dub's advise.
Old 11-16-2018, 08:38 AM
DUB
Race Director

Coming out of the bottom of your steering column you will find a wiring harness where all the wires re attached to each other and in a straight line like a ribbon. At the end is a black connector which many of us call a harmonica connector due to how it looks like half of one.

In that connector you will see a light blue wire that is coming from your turn signal switch. On the other side of that connector you will see TWO light blue wires coming out of it. ONE of those wires goes to the light in your dash for your turn signal indicator...and the other goes to your front light.

SO...knowing that your turn signal light in the dash WAS working but now it is not is telling me you may have a bad turn signal switch....OR...that connection where the harmonica connector is connected is faulty, corroded or just not making good contact.

You can simply use a test light connected to a good ground and put the other end of your test light IN the area of the connector where the light blue wire is coming out of the column and going into the connector and turn the left turn signal; on and see if the test light blinks.

NOW...KNOWING that you RIGHT turn signal works perfectly...you can take your test light can check the DARK BLUE wire that is right beside the light blue wire and see if it blinks when you turn it on so you can see what you are looking for.

Keep in mind this test will only work if you know that your test light is GROUNDED..

IF the test light blinks when testing the turn signal switch side of the connector......then put it in the area where the terminal is in the connector on the opposite side and see if it blinks. IF it does not you have a bad connection there.

DUB
fastimes (11-16-2018)
Old 11-16-2018, 09:09 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thanks DUB! I will try this later today.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:58 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Just wanted to thank you guys again for pointing me in the right direction.
I focused on the "harmonica connector" under the steering column. Disconnected it, used a touch of contact cleaner and a small file to clean up the contacts and now all the lights are working and flashing as they should. Dash signal lights included.
This forum should have a "buy that man a beer" button. I owe you guys one.
Old 12-12-2018, 07:14 PM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Do the turn signals and hazards share a flasher or does the alarm and hazards share a flasher? My turn signals are blinking, but in an odd, uneven pattern. My hazards flash in a steady pattern.
Thinking if turn signals have a dedicated flasher, it may be the issue.
Old 12-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Peterbuilt
Le Mans Master

Default Let me guess!

You might have three flashers:
The turn signal flasher should be just under the right side of the passengers' dash.
The hazard flasher could be in the fuse panel.
The alarm flasher is behind the passengers' seat in the jack box.
fastimes (12-12-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:09 AM
DUB
Race Director

The flasher for the alarm system has nothing to due with your exterior lights. It is there to provide the pulse for the horn so it does not just stay on continuous. Your factory alarm system does not flash lights when it has been activated.. All it does is sound off the horn and that is it. And it can do this and actually drain the battery all the way down. The later design theft deterrent system does employ a starter interrupt relay to make it so the car can not be cranked up. And the horn that is making noise does get shut off after about 7 minutes of horn sounding off time to save the battery but until the alarm system is correctly disarmed...the engine still will not crank.

YES...like 'Peterbuilt' wrote you have two flashers...one for hazards and one for turn signals. These do also make a difference in how the cadence of your flasher works. So...not all flashers are the same even though they can be installed in the area they plug into.

Keep in mind that they TYPE of bulb you put into your light socket DOES make HURE difference in how the cadence of your lights flash. Even though it may fit into the socket...and look the same...they ARE NOT that same.

Your bulbs should be an 1157 for the rear and possible the 1157 NA (amber bulb)

Also make sure your front side marker light bulbs are 194's also.

Your flasher is basically a circuit breaker. It pops on and off when you use your turn signals or hazards. The flasher relies on how many amps the light bulbs are using when they are on and it then cerates a cadence so the bulbs flash.. Simply by having the wrong flasher or even a bulb or two that are not correct can make one side of your car work fine but the other not flash in the same cadence.

Changing out the flasher is NOT going to help if one side of your car works PERFECT but the other side is NOT in the same cadence. Simply because as I previously stated...t the flasher is only doing what the amp load of the lights are providing it.

DUB
fastimes (12-13-2018)
Old 12-13-2018, 10:48 AM
fastimes
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Thank you DUB! I'll check to make sure all bulbs are correct.
Old 12-13-2018, 05:50 PM
DUB
Race Director

You might need to go back to the harmonica connector for your turn signals and take another look at it. Due to you wrote back in POST # 14 that the lights were all working good. You can possibly have an issue with how tight the terminals actually are touching when the connector is clipped together.

DUB
fastimes (12-13-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To Front turn signal

Quick Reply: Front turn signal