Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

Weak battery causing electrical/cel problems?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 12:43 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Weak battery causing electrical/cel problems?

Been noticing some weird behavior from my c6z lately and its really starting to frustrate me. Ever since I got the car in march, noticed that the passenger window doesn't go down with the one press of the button. It goes down an inch or so and stops. Have to press it again and drops another inch or so and so forth. Only on the passenger side. Fob wasn't being detected many times when sitting in the car. Only way to start it would be for me to put it in the fob hole. Car sometimes wouldn't unlock or lock the car. Hour on the stock radio would be changed and it would return to its previous setting after turning the car off and on. Traction control won't let me switch between competitive mode etc, it only lets me turn traction on or off. When starting the car, cel blinks and trac light comes on displaying need to service traction system. Car turns over slowly or barely from time to time. Sometimes I have to gas it for it to start. Here's the catch, took the battery yesterday to get tested at autozone and it tested good. Its 3 yrs and 6 months old. The battery voltage on the DIC was reading from 13.1 to 13.7 with all these issues while idle. When I went to put the battery back in, I noticed that the DIC read 14.0 or higher while idling and all of these symptoms went away. I could switch between traction modes, window came down without stopping, radio retained the hour change even after turning the car off and on. After I got home, turn the car off and on and it went back to reading 13.1 to 13.7. Hour changed itself again. Window was stopping on its way down. Brought the battery with me to work and tested it with a load tester. Battery reads 12.2-.4 volts at the posts and drops to 10 volts under 130 amp load. Charged it for an hour and now reads 13.2 ish volts at the posts and reads 10+ volts under load. Could it be possible that the battery is still bad, maybe a bad cell? The car did sit for a month with no start when I did the cam swap.
Old 12-14-2018, 01:53 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Bad batteries cause all sorts of electrical gremlins. Thats the first thing I'd do. Brand new battery, and always store the car on a tender if parked for prolonged periods of time (several days at a time).
Old 12-14-2018, 04:05 PM
silverboost98
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

I just went through charging and battery issues with my vette. My recommendation is get a new battery, put a new starter solenoid on the starter, and test the alternator to make sure it is good. Any 1 of 3 components I mentioned is faulty it can damage all 3. I know this because I just went through it. Rebuilt the alternator, replaced the starter solenoid, and replaced the battery.

My car ran like poo before fixing all 3 and I tried to do this one at a time before I realized I just needed to address all 3
Old 12-14-2018, 04:16 PM
Z0HM6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by venemous1
I just went through charging and battery issues with my vette. My recommendation is get a new battery, put a new starter solenoid on the starter, and test the alternator to make sure it is good. Any 1 of 3 components I mentioned is faulty it can damage all 3. I know this because I just went through it. Rebuilt the alternator, replaced the starter solenoid, and replaced the battery.

My car ran like poo before fixing all 3 and I tried to do this one at a time before I realized I just needed to address all 3
by any chance did you have issues with the traction system? Check engine lights? I finished charging my battery and just tried it out. Car started up immediately and passenger window went down no problem. Initially got check engine light and traction light but it went away and trac light went away. Let the car idle and still no traction modes available. Just traction on and off.
The following users liked this post:
C4Rider (03-27-2021)
Old 12-14-2018, 04:26 PM
MTPZ06
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,592 Likes on 1,335 Posts

Originally Posted by Z0HM6

by any chance did you have issues with the traction system? Check engine lights? I finished charging my battery and just tried it out. Car started up immediately and passenger window went down no problem. Initially got check engine light and traction light but it went away and trac light went away. Let the car idle and still no traction modes available. Just traction on and off.
Yes, bad battery will cause all of that.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:19 PM
stefuel
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 116 Posts

And because you've been putzing around under the hood, make sure all your grounds are attached and tight.

Get notified of new replies

To Weak battery causing electrical/cel problems?

Quick Reply: Weak battery causing electrical/cel problems?