C5 Tech Corvette Tech/Performance: LS1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Seat Electrical Issues

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2018, 07:08 PM
Pachoes
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Passenger Seat Electrical Issues

I thought I had fixed my issue last time, but I was mistaken. But I have a better understand of whats happening.

Any time I plug in the seat, these motors immediately set themselves to the highest position. If I finagle with the controls the front one will go down, but there seems to be no response from the back motor. These motors also are "clicking" in the highest position, probably since the seat is always moving the seat up despite being in the highest position. All other controls on the seat work. Lumbar, forward and backward movement, side bolsters, its just the up and down motion of the seat that seems to be not working. The passenger seat has been acting up for about a month now, all starting with what seemed a small leak in my targa top that got water onto the seat controls. Before, the seat would refuse to work at all, now its just those two specific motions.

Right now I have the front motor all the way down, but the rear does not seem to respond unless I push the controls to the up position. There is also no "buzz" when you press on the back motor down control. Anytime the seat adjusts something there is a slight buzz to that control so you know it is working. The back down control has no buzz or response when pressed.
Old 12-14-2018, 07:56 PM
Pachoes
Intermediate

I just inspected the seat control module and the circuit board and all pins and solders are well and good on that side. I'm thinking it has to be the pins for the seat connection or the motors for the seat that is malfunctioning. I'm willing to try anybody's suggestions for testing things.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 PM
Pachoes
Intermediate

So I've seen this electrical diagram posted for the passenger seat, and I am having a troubling time understanding some of the connections. I have my wiring harness pulled out from the seat and have cleaned all corrosion from the pins thoroughly. I'm thinking the motors for the vertical adjustments might have gone bad or have shorted in some way at this point.
Old 12-15-2018, 05:48 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Most likely the control on the side of the seat is the culprit. I have see the drivers side ones have coffee/soda spilled in them that cause this issue.
Do you have the sport seats? I have a control for sport seats available, $80 shipped.

PM or email g_kopko@yahoo.com

Gary
The following users liked this post:
Pachoes (12-16-2018)
Old 12-16-2018, 03:14 AM
Pachoes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SilverC54me
Most likely the control on the side of the seat is the culprit. I have see the drivers side ones have coffee/soda spilled in them that cause this issue.
Do you have the sport seats? I have a control for sport seats available, $80 shipped.

PM or email g_kopko@yahoo.com

Gary
I did a pin test through all the wires, the DIC wasn't throwing any seat codes, and none of the wires were corroded, but the the circuit board for the seat controls seemed to have burn marks on a few spots like it did short out. I think a few years of the targa seal leaking down the seat and getting on the controls probably moistened up the board well enough to where it would short/corrode. Currently, I managed to get the front seat motor to move down and then somehow it didn't immediately adjust itself up, so the issue is partly fixed at this point. I will consider the seat control though.
Old 12-16-2018, 05:40 PM
SilverC54me
Melting Slicks

Received 411 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Pachoes
I did a pin test through all the wires, the DIC wasn't throwing any seat codes, and none of the wires were corroded, but the the circuit board for the seat controls seemed to have burn marks on a few spots like it did short out. I think a few years of the targa seal leaking down the seat and getting on the controls probably moistened up the board well enough to where it would short/corrode. Currently, I managed to get the front seat motor to move down and then somehow it didn't immediately adjust itself up, so the issue is partly fixed at this point. I will consider the seat control though.
Based on the description of the circuit board, you found the source of your problem. Cleaning the corrosion off may get you by on this but you will eventually be replacing it.

Gary
Old 04-29-2020, 06:35 PM
blitjen
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Gary, I'm new to the Corvette forum, I saw you had responded to a few different posts concerning problems with electric seats, do you work on them? I live near by in Yorba Linda and I am looking to buy a 1992 Convertible, the drivers seat functions normally with all the adjustments but wont move forward, although you can hear the motor trying to work. Would you have any suggestions for would you be able to look at it?

Thanks in advance, Brent~

Get notified of new replies

To Passenger Seat Electrical Issues

Quick Reply: Passenger Seat Electrical Issues