Sponsored by:

Tips on replacing fuel line to carb

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 08:03 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Received 243 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Tips on replacing fuel line to carb

Have to change out the old fuel feed line that goes into my 4150 Holley since it used a hose barb connection to a rubber hose and I will be replacing that with solid fuel line to -6AN connection. Would
like to limit the amout of fuel that spills onto the intake manifold (from the carb inlets) when I do this since it's inside my garage and it's winter so all the windows are closed. What does everyone else use for mopping up the gas
that leaks out - paper towels, shops rags, etc. Is there a way to do this and limit the amount of gas that dribbles out of the carb inputs?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:27 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Bump
Old 02-12-2019, 06:57 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

NO. No way to limit the fuel that will obviously come out.

And doing this in an environment that is NOT the best for having fuel vapors lingering....is rather.....foolish. YES...paper towels or whatever you want to use that is absorbent.

. But I KNOW I would roll the car outside so I would not have to deal with vapors or OPEN up the garage door and just deal with the cold.

DUB
Old 02-12-2019, 06:59 PM
BarryB72
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 200 Posts

When I took my carburetor off I don't even remember any gas coming out.

Changing the rubber line before the fuel pump was a different story.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:31 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DUB
NO. No way to limit the fuel that will obviously come out.

And doing this in an environment that is NOT the best for having fuel vapors lingering....is rather.....foolish. YES...paper towels or whatever you want to use that is absorbent.

. But I KNOW I would roll the car outside so I would not have to deal with vapors or OPEN up the garage door and just deal with the cold.

DUB
Thanks - I'll just open the garage door and windows and make the change then.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by BarryB72
When I took my carburetor off I don't even remember any gas coming out.

Changing the rubber line before the fuel pump was a different story.
Well I guess I might have to change out the rubber fuel line to the fuel pump as well depending on the condition of the rubber line this summer, and for that I'll roll the car out.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:55 PM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

No Rubber... unless you like Barbecued Corvette.

I have found the plastic tips that come with tubes of silicone sealant that you screw on, the tapered kind.
you normally cut the end off of to use., ...keep that tip with uncut end.
It makes a great universal size plug, perfect for plugging various size hoses and metal tubes.

Last edited by 69Vett; 02-13-2019 at 02:00 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Redvette2 (02-15-2019)
Old 02-13-2019, 06:56 PM
DUB
Race Director

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,321 Posts

The rubber hose he was referring to is the rubber hose for the fuel line on the frame to the fuel pump...like he wrote. You know the ones that are molded in an 'S' shape.

Depending on how much of the fuel that has leaked back down to the fuel pump. This Holley has a dual line set-up and that line can hold some fuel.

It all depends on how this new line is being attached and how much is being taken off to install the new set-up.

Either way...closed in areas with fuel vapors is a bad combination.

DUB
Old 02-14-2019, 11:47 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

I took the advise and opened the garage door and both windows. I then placed wadded up paper towels under the existing dual line inlet
and removed it from the carb. Didn't have as much gas leakage as I thought, and I quickly installed the JEGS Holley dual line connectors
to the carb. Took the soaked paper towels out to the pickup bed to sit outside. Within an hour the gas vapors were gone and everything
was back to normal. Really nice that my fuel line inlet from the fuel pump to the carb is now all metal. I'll post some pics soon...
Old 02-15-2019, 04:29 AM
Neil B
Drifting

Received 110 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by jpatrick62
I took the advise and opened the garage door and both windows. I then placed wadded up paper towels under the existing dual line inlet
and removed it from the carb. Didn't have as much gas leakage as I thought, and I quickly installed the JEGS Holley dual line connectors
to the carb. Took the soaked paper towels out to the pickup bed to sit outside. Within an hour the gas vapors were gone and everything
was back to normal. Really nice that my fuel line inlet from the fuel pump to the carb is now all metal. I'll post some pics soon...
If you haven't started the car yet, be aware that the new fittings from the dual inlet line to the fuel bowl typically leak. I've found you usually have to work them in by tightening and loosening a few times. It's more aggravating with the lines that have tubing flare connections, but the AN fittings to the fuel bowl leak as well. Just something to be aware of.
Old 02-15-2019, 06:12 AM
Redvette2
Drifting

Location: Loud, Raw and Dangerous 1968 327 4S in Southern California
Received 387 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by 69Vett
No Rubber... unless you like Barbecued Corvette.

I have found the plastic tips that come with tubes of silicone sealant that you screw on, the tapered kind.
you normally cut the end off of to use., ...keep that tip with uncut end.
It makes a great universal size plug, perfect for plugging various size hoses and metal tubes.
Great idea...never thought of using those. I have several in the tool tray.

Thanks,
Redvette2
Old 02-15-2019, 08:16 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Neil B
If you haven't started the car yet, be aware that the new fittings from the dual inlet line to the fuel bowl typically leak. I've found you usually have to work them in by tightening and loosening a few times. It's more aggravating with the lines that have tubing flare connections, but the AN fittings to the fuel bowl leak as well. Just something to be aware of.
Yeah, I'll test out the connections next week and fire it up, got stuff to do this weekend. I installed the JEGS 110824, and it seemed to fit OK, snugged up to the carb inlets with the metal washers provided, So I assume
you might have to loosen and then re-tighten the carb inlets if they leak?

Old 02-17-2019, 05:16 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

So I tested my new fuel line and everything looks good - no leaks while idling at least. I did have a slight leak at the GF432 fuel filter on the 1/4 inch vapor return line
where I used the spring clips - had to replace them with the hose clamps you see in the pic, but other wise the JEGS 110824 was easy to install and worked fine. I did a single flare to the AN-6 connector, and that seems to be good so I'm happy overall. Next on the list is the front suspension....

Old 02-18-2019, 09:41 AM
Eljay
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 90 Posts

Did you use the same same flair on both ends of your hard line from the filter to the fuel inlet? The filter is 45* and the AN is 37*.
Old 02-18-2019, 11:54 AM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Eljay
Did you use the same same flair on both ends of your hard line from the filter to the fuel inlet? The filter is 45* and the AN is 37*.
No I did not - I used the existing flare (double) on the brake line and single flared the fuel inlet. I did not flare the fuel vapor return line, I just bend it into position and used hose
clamps.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:23 PM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Patrick - What kind of fuel filter is that? GF432. Reason i ask is my fuel pump does not have a vapor outlet and would like to keep the vapor line, instead of plugging it.
Old 02-19-2019, 12:29 PM
jpatrick62
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by DAD111
Patrick - What kind of fuel filter is that? GF432. Reason i ask is my fuel pump does not have a vapor outlet and would like to keep the vapor line, instead of plugging it.
That's a pretty standard filter that Chevy used in the late 60's and early 70's. It's ideal for the purpose you want to use it for and one of the main reasons I used it. I will
say that it's not cheap ($45 - $55) but if you want a stock look and a vapor line return it fits the bill. Just make sure the return line you get is properly clamped (mine leaked
initially ) and you'll be OK.

Get notified of new replies

To Tips on replacing fuel line to carb

Quick Reply: Tips on replacing fuel line to carb