Remove handle first?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2019, 06:56 PM
mdeslyper
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Remove handle first?

1976 coupe

For anyone who has installed new interior door panels...did you install the latch handle before trying to fit the door panel? Or is there an easy way to install it after the door panel is in place?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-21-2019, 08:10 PM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Install the latch handle. When you go to install the door panel, use one hand to pull the latch handle 'out'. Use the other hand to lift the door panel and hold it 'forward' of where its final location should be. Move panel rearward and engage the latch handle in the door panel opening. Once engaged, you can let go of the latch handle and install the panel.
Old 03-22-2019, 06:16 PM
mdeslyper
Instructor

I see how that may work with a power window door. Mine is manual windows and the regulator stub does not let the panel get close enough to the handle to slide through the hole. I tried tying wire around the door latch handle and pulling it out thru the hole - but still nogo.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:19 AM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 363 Posts

I tried to install the door unlock lever before installation of the door panels and never was able to get it on (manual windows). I found a peiece of scrap plastic about the size and shape of a grade school ruler that I insert into the mechanism after I use a large screw driver to pull it into the open position. Then I slide the chrome lever into the pot metal ears, insert the screw, and then remove the plastic wedge. My therory is because my door cards are original and as hard as a brick, there is absolutely no flex to get the top Metal part once the door unlock lever is installed first. Be careful that you don’t break the two small ears, ask me how I know!
The following users liked this post:
mdeslyper (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 01:22 AM
7T1vette
Team Owner

Received 2,713 Likes on 2,271 Posts

Any roll-up window handles must be removed prior to installing the door panel (how would you install it with those handles in place????). Once the door panel is installed, the retaining clip is inserted into its slot in the handle and then the handle is 'popped' into place on its shaft. That all seems very obvious to me, but if you need such instructions, so be it....

The info on installing the door panel over the latch lever remains the same.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:13 AM
nutsy
Melting Slicks

Received 123 Likes on 78 Posts

if you talking about the door handle I just did this also. I tried first to install handle then panel but no way.
I tried to tie a wire on handle to pull it out to slip handle on but there was too much pressure.
what I did that was super easy was slip a piece of metal that was the same thickness of the door handle in 1 side of the slide where door handle goes in.
then opened the door pull , slipped a small phillips screwdriver behind door pull to hold it open, then was super easy ,just slip handle on, put screw in and remove screwdriver.

Last edited by nutsy; 03-23-2019 at 07:14 AM.
The following users liked this post:
mdeslyper (03-23-2019)
Old 03-23-2019, 08:20 AM
mdeslyper
Instructor

That sounds like it will work - thanks! Will try this weekend.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:21 AM
mdeslyper
Instructor

of course window crank is removed. I think Elired and nutsy have a good method.

Get notified of new replies

To Remove handle first?

Quick Reply: Remove handle first?