C7 Tech/Performance Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Tech Topics, Basic Tech, Maintenance, How to Remove & Replace
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I need to replace rotors when replacing brake pads

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:23 PM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Do I need to replace rotors when replacing brake pads

I am sure these questions have been presented somewhere before on this forum, but I can't seem to find the thread. I recently went to my GM dealership to have some normal maintenance done, when I was told that my brakes were getting very close to needing replacement. I was actually not surprised by that (not being sarcastic). However, what I was surprised by was when they told me I should also replace my rotors, because of potential warping and braking uneveness. I have already decided to go with Carbotech 1521 ceramic brake pads all around. the questions I have are the following: 1) is it really necessary to replace the rotors? 2) If so, what brand would be recommended with the Carbotech 1521 brake pads and 3) Do I need to go with Ceramic Rotors if I am going to Ceramic brake pads? Any other helpful information is also appreciated. Thanks for the help!
Old 03-23-2019, 11:37 PM
Bill Dearborn
Tech Contributor

Received 8,929 Likes on 5,333 Posts

First, there is no reason why you need to replace the rotors just because you change the pads. Are you getting any thumping? Did they tell you the rotors were nearing their minimum thickness spec? If no then there is nothing wrong with your rotors.

If you choose a different brand of pads there may be a short period of time where the brakes won't work as well since they have to build up their own transfer layer on the rotor before they reach their best performance level. That means scrapping off the old pad's layer and then laying down their own layer. They need to do this with new rotors as well. This can usually be cleared up by taking the car and doing a brake burnishing run (see OM).

If you switch to 1521s it will take a day or so for them to break in to the old rotors. You don't need ceramic rotors if you use those ceramic pads. They are made for iron rotors. Besides the stock ceramic rotors will not fit on your car. You need different calipers because the ceramic rotors are so much larger in diameter.

Bill
Old 03-24-2019, 08:15 AM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

Bill,

Thank you so much for that information. That was very helpful indeed. Alan
Old 03-24-2019, 10:59 AM
Adam@Amp'dAutosport.com
Supporting Vendor

Received 492 Likes on 419 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11,'13

Originally Posted by ajrubincpa
I am sure these questions have been presented somewhere before on this forum, but I can't seem to find the thread. I recently went to my GM dealership to have some normal maintenance done, when I was told that my brakes were getting very close to needing replacement. I was actually not surprised by that (not being sarcastic). However, what I was surprised by was when they told me I should also replace my rotors, because of potential warping and braking uneveness. I have already decided to go with Carbotech 1521 ceramic brake pads all around. the questions I have are the following: 1) is it really necessary to replace the rotors? 2) If so, what brand would be recommended with the Carbotech 1521 brake pads and 3) Do I need to go with Ceramic Rotors if I am going to Ceramic brake pads? Any other helpful information is also appreciated. Thanks for the help!
How many miles are on your rotors ?
PH:216-780-8825.
Email: sales@ampdautosport.com
Web Site & Direct ordering http://ampdautosport.com/
All major CC and Pay Pal accepted.
Check out Promo code:z28
Old 03-24-2019, 07:55 PM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

35,000 plus, so you now understand why I am not surprised the pads needed replacing. I don't track my car, but it is used as a daily driver for work.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:24 PM
KenHorse
Team Owner

Location: I live my life by 2 rules. 1) Never share everything you know. 2)
Received 2,402 Likes on 1,366 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11-'12-'13, '16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by ajrubincpa
35,000 plus, so you now understand why I am not surprised the pads needed replacing. I don't track my car, but it is used as a daily driver for work.
Had over 52K miles on my Z51 OEM pads when I sold it last August and they still have a ton of pad left (daily driver too)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:30 PM
TSLAVette
Drifting

Received 292 Likes on 157 Posts

Hi Alan -

When you apply moderate pressure to the brakes, do you feel a pulsation or does the steering wheel shake until the car stops? If so, rotors at a minimum need to be turned. These days, new rotors on the performance aftermarket are plentiful for these cars and relatively inexpensive. The biggest PITA will be removing the calipers and that's not too onerous; it will make pad replacement and piston retraction that much easier.

If no steering wheel shaking or pulsating on the brake pedal, you're rotors are most likely A-ok. Pads and be done. Carbotech 1521 is a solid choice. Ben at WeaponX has them shipped for ~$439.

You might also want to consider a brake fluid flush if 2-3yrs of age.

Be safe!
Old 03-25-2019, 06:01 AM
ajrubincpa
Instructor

I listened for pulsating and the steering wheel shake and there was none, which leads me to believe that the rotors are fine. I am going to take the car into a mechanic I trust to have them take a look. If they say the rotors are fine, I will simply replace the pads and move on.
Old 03-28-2019, 10:49 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 618 Likes on 455 Posts

You just need to check the rotors to see that they are fine.Then just change the padsI have driven over 100k in most of my
cars and still had life on the pads.I don't use brakes much.I downshift all the time and use rev match
Old 03-29-2019, 01:08 AM
Gearhead Jim
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,051 Likes on 1,362 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13

Originally Posted by MlwYlw
Hi Alan -

When you apply moderate pressure to the brakes, do you feel a pulsation or does the steering wheel shake until the car stops? If so, rotors at a minimum need to be turned. These days, new rotors on the performance aftermarket are plentiful for these cars and relatively inexpensive. The biggest PITA will be removing the calipers and that's not too onerous; it will make pad replacement and piston retraction that much easier.

If no steering wheel shaking or pulsating on the brake pedal, you're rotors are most likely A-ok. Pads and be done. Carbotech 1521 is a solid choice. Ben at WeaponX has them shipped for ~$439.

You might also want to consider a brake fluid flush if 2-3yrs of age.

Be safe!
The big factor in whether rotors need to be replaced, is rotor thickness remaining. Any competent mechanic can use a mic on the rotors to check thickness vs the spec in the service manual. Normally, it's not necessary to cut the rotors to smooth them.

I've noticed almost no relationship between pulsing and thickness. I've had brakes that pulsed with only 10k easy street miles on the car, and rotors worn below minimum spec that were still running smoothly.
Old 03-29-2019, 12:15 PM
Mr. Jones
Drifting

Received 74 Likes on 59 Posts

See Bill Dearborn post
What he said

Last edited by Mr. Jones; 03-29-2019 at 12:16 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Do I need to replace rotors when replacing brake pads

Quick Reply: Do I need to replace rotors when replacing brake pads