Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2024 Getting Road Speed to Display

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 11:42 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,663 Likes on 6,657 Posts

Default 2024 Getting Road Speed to Display

Member suggested I start a new Thread on the subject of getting Road Speed to Display on Dash or HUD as it had with the month free OnStar in my 2024 E-Ray 3LZ.
Background and his post:

Background:
Had free trial OnStar for ~one month, then canceled. When OnStar was connected had Road Speed showing in HUD or Center Dash display depending on drive mode.

Now using Apple CarPlay connected to my iPhone 15Pro for Nav. Had an issue, solved by selling CarPlay ICON phone to ON for Cellular Data.

Have tried turning Car WiFi Off and ON as well as my Phone Hot Spot Off and On.. Still no Speed Showing. Just tried a verbal NAV request to Siri while driving locally. When it is directing there is a small Speed Limit sign on the center MAP display. Once I reached my destination. no sped limit sign on Map!

Anyone with a 2024 not paying OnStar or Google a fee getting speed limit to show on Dash or HUD?

Member Comment with Suggestion
Originally Posted by RKCRLR
It sounds like your car may not be properly connected to your phone's hotspot to be used as an OnStar data replacement. I don't have a 2024 so I can't help with the details. Other people with a 2024 C8 (or other GM vehicles with the Google OS) claim a phone's hotspot can be used instead of an OnStar plan.

I'd start a new thread requesting for help on how to connect a 2024 to a phone's hotspot to use the onboard navigation without an OnStar plan. Hopefully someone will chime in with instructions and any limitations of using the hotspot vs an OnStar plan. I think it would be useful for anyone with a 2024 and later car. You'll just have to weed through all the rants about the Google OS

Last edited by JerryU; 04-27-2024 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-27-2024, 12:26 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

Received 799 Likes on 410 Posts

Mine shows and I’m not paying for OnStar or Google. Now it doesn’t show ALL the time, but does most of the time. I’m always in CarPlay and WAZE is my navigation App of choice.

Try using WAZE in CarPlay and see if that’ll get it to display. Even when I tell WAZE to stop, it’s the background App I have running navigation in my ‘24 and the speed will display on my dash. I don’t have HUD in my 1LT, so no idea if it’ll show there too.
The following users liked this post:
BearZ06 (05-01-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 12:34 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,604 Likes on 4,304 Posts

Originally Posted by BandDirector
Mine shows and I’m not paying for OnStar or Google. Now it doesn’t show ALL the time, but does most of the time. I’m always in CarPlay and WAZE is my navigation App of choice.

Try using WAZE in CarPlay and see if that’ll get it to display. Even when I tell WAZE to stop, it’s the background App I have running navigation in my ‘24 and the speed will display on my dash. I don’t have HUD in my 1LT, so no idea if it’ll show there too.
Is yours a 2024? When you say on the dash, do you mean on the infotainment screen or on the display behind the steering wheel?

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 04-27-2024 at 12:43 PM.
Old 04-27-2024, 01:14 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Is yours a 2024? When you say on the dash, do you mean on the infotainment screen or on the display behind the steering wheel?
Mine is a ‘24, and I do mean on the dash behind the steering wheel, not just the infotainment screen.

…you can see the bottom portion of the speed limit sign display to the upper right of the tach…I’m in a 45 MPH zone…

Last edited by BandDirector; 04-27-2024 at 01:19 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BandDirector:
RKCRLR (04-27-2024), Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 01:22 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,227 Likes on 3,418 Posts

Mine is a ‘24, and I do mean on the dash behind the steering wheel, not just the infotainment screen.

…you can see the bottom portion of the speed limit sign display to the upper right of the tach…I’m in a 45 MPH zone…
Are you only using CarPlay or do you also have your car setup to connect to your phone's hotspot?
Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 01:27 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

Are you only using CarPlay or do you also have your car setup to connect to your phone's hotspot?
CarPlay ONLY. Phone automatically connects when I start car because I also use the Sirius XM App in CarPlay once the trial ended…I ALWAYS have CarPlay on. I don’t have my phone’s hotspot activated because Verizon wants another $10 per month…
Old 04-27-2024, 01:32 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

…now it is possible it’s picking it up from one of the other Navigation Apps I have available in CarPlay. I also have Google Maps, Apple Maps, Here We Go, in addition to WAZE all available to me in CarPlay, but WAZE is the only one I keep active…
Old 04-27-2024, 01:47 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

…one more theory…in WAZE, the speed limit sign doesn’t display until you exceed the posted speed limit when viewing the infotainment screen, I know in the picture I posted above, I’m doing 40 in a 45, but I’d just slowed down to snap the pic. I suppose that could explain why I said my speed limit sign doesn’t always display on my dash…it’s possible it only displays once you exceed the posted limit…just another possible explanation…
Old 04-27-2024, 02:00 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,227 Likes on 3,418 Posts

…one more theory…in WAZE, the speed limit sign doesn’t display until you exceed the posted speed limit when viewing the infotainment screen, I know in the picture I posted above, I’m doing 40 in a 45, but I’d just slowed down to snap the pic. I suppose that could explain why I said my speed limit sign doesn’t always display on my dash…it’s possible it only displays once you exceed the posted limit…just another possible explanation…
Yea, I don't like that, my wife's car does the same thing. So if the speed limit isn't displayed you don't know if it is because you aren't exceeding the speed limit or you are exceeding it but it doesn't have the speed limit data.
Old 04-27-2024, 02:26 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

Yea, I don't like that, my wife's car does the same thing. So if the speed limit isn't displayed you don't know if it is because you aren't exceeding the speed limit or you are exceeding it but it doesn't have the speed limit data.
…I just found this in my WAZE settings…gonna turn on ALWAYS display speed limit and see if that changes the consistency!

The following 2 users liked this post by BandDirector:
BearZ06 (05-01-2024), RKCRLR (04-27-2024)
Old 04-27-2024, 02:30 PM
BandDirector
Drifting

…and one more thing I just found in WAZE settings is Google. Forgot that Google owns WAZE now, but that may be why the speedometer display works on the dash as well…
Old 04-27-2024, 02:49 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,048 Likes on 1,840 Posts

I have a 2024.. had it over 6 months. So any sort of trial of anything should be long gone.

The speed limit icon on the HUD and dash just doesn't seem to display consistently. I messed with all the settings, and I'm aware some drive mode just don't display it. It'll work on some days and not others. I haven't been able to figure out any pattern to it. It either works for the entirety of the drive I'm on, or it doesn't. The "only displays when you are speeding" theory definitely isn't the case.

These cars really just seem to have some buggy software.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:29 PM
Ron_Attleboro_MA
Drifting

Received 1,164 Likes on 540 Posts

I always use the speed indicator in my 2024, no OnStar. I am talking about the speed limit shown in digital instrument cluster.
I HUD does not show it, only current speed.
Old 04-27-2024, 03:36 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Great Info. Had WAZE in prior Vette but for my rural drives not useful. BUT will try IF that gives speed limit.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:33 PM
c6miller
Drifting

Received 168 Likes on 118 Posts

Have your dealer check the nav card.
Old 04-27-2024, 06:59 PM
smithers
Melting Slicks

Received 5,048 Likes on 1,840 Posts

Originally Posted by c6miller
Have your dealer check the nav card.
2024’s don’t have the nav SD card
The following 2 users liked this post by smithers:
Acpantera (04-29-2024), JerryU (04-28-2024)
Old 04-28-2024, 07:12 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Ron_Attleboro_MA
I always use the speed indicator in my 2024, no OnStar. I am talking about the speed limit shown in digital instrument cluster.
I HUD does not show it, only current speed.
So you're seeing the road speed limit? As I said i was when I had the free OnStar trial for a month but not after I canceled. Are you paying the GM/Google monthly NAV fee?

Last edited by JerryU; 04-28-2024 at 07:20 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2024 Getting Road Speed to Display

Old 04-28-2024, 04:59 PM
Swolejack
Pro

Received 91 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the traffic sign on the driver display initially then it went away. I do have the Onstar
subscription and I have my Iphone settings for Google identical to previous post. I still
don't have the speed limit sign though. I called Onstar and they said take it to the
dealer (I'm assuming the Onstar guy was clueless) I really like (liked) this feature
when I had it. Using Waze doesn't bring it back either.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:39 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,604 Likes on 4,304 Posts

…now it is possible it’s picking it up from one of the other Navigation Apps I have available in CarPlay. I also have Google Maps, Apple Maps, Here We Go, in addition to WAZE all available to me in CarPlay, but WAZE is the only one I keep active…
Interesting. Yours is the first report I've seen where the speed limit shows on the car without either a subscription through OnStar or using the phone as a hotspot. Wonder where it's coming from.
Old 04-28-2024, 05:42 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

From my experience it won't display all of the time. Only when the speed limit for the road you're on is contained in the nav database. There a several secondary roads in my rural area where the limit is not displayed however it is on all major roads and freeways. However, I haven't downloaded Google Maps for use where there is no cell reception. But my theory is that if the speed limit isn't in the database it's not going to be there whether downloaded or not. Sorry, I'm no help when it comes to never being there.

Howe are you guys getting Waze to work? I would certainly prefer that to Google. Are you just bringing it up on your phone after connecting to the car?
AmmoVet (05-03-2024)

Quick Reply: 2024 Getting Road Speed to Display