Notices
C6 Corvette ZR1 & Z06 General info about GM’s Corvette Supercar, LS9 Corvette Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Kraken

[ZR1] Starting Issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 05:22 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Received 304 Likes on 200 Posts
Default Starting Issue?

2009 with 29k miles battery good won't do anything. Luckily it started one last time at grocery store after it did the same after workout. All with in about 2.5 hrs. Got the car home in garage thankfully. My son said the battery was a little low charged it over night. Still nothing..electrical system seems okay???? Anyone???
Old 04-29-2024, 03:27 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Donzo7
2009 with 29k miles battery good won't do anything. Luckily it started one last time at grocery store after it did the same after workout. All with in about 2.5 hrs. Got the car home in garage thankfully. My son said the battery was a little low charged it over night. Still nothing..electrical system seems okay???? Anyone???
OK what is a good replacement starter for my 09 zr1??
Old 04-29-2024, 04:25 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,715 Posts

I’d have your battery load tested and go from there….when you press the start button do you hear any noises ??…what do you mean by electrical system “seems” OK ??
The following users liked this post:
Donzo7 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 05:58 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
I’d have your battery load tested and go from there….when you press the start button do you hear any noises ??…what do you mean by electrical system “seems” OK ??
Well my son tested the battery and it was a little low charged it over night and it still wouldnt do anything. Took battery back and was warrantied a new one still woululdnt start on several trys starter did nothing . Finally it started he tested the alternate and it tested good. Turned it off tried to restart nothing. It clicks sometimes but that's it. Starter I'm assuming is original 15 yrs old....
Old 04-29-2024, 06:08 PM
C5 Diag
Moderator, Tech Contributor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,150 Likes on 1,715 Posts

After the battery I like checking the battery connections at solenoid and engine ground with a 12 volt test light…you can take the test light and connect it to battery negative…probe the engine block and then try to start the engine…test light should NOT light…if it does you have a bad block ground…to check the positive side now probe the starter solenoid B+ stud…the test light should not go out when attempting to start the car…if it goes out you have an excessive voltage drop on the stud…maybe loose nut or excessive corrosion.
The following users liked this post:
Donzo7 (04-29-2024)
Old 04-29-2024, 08:50 PM
Donzo7
Drifting

Originally Posted by C5 Diag
After the battery I like checking the battery connections at solenoid and engine ground with a 12 volt test light…you can take the test light and connect it to battery negative…probe the engine block and then try to start the engine…test light should NOT light…if it does you have a bad block ground…to check the positive side now probe the starter solenoid B+ stud…the test light should not go out when attempting to start the car…if it goes out you have an excessive voltage drop on the stud…maybe loose nut or excessive corrosion.
So my son put it up on stands and dropped the starter...and found the problem. The solenoid post was broke off...

The following 2 users liked this post by Donzo7:
C5 Diag (04-29-2024), RedZ4me (04-30-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Starting Issue?

Quick Reply: [ZR1] Starting Issue?