Sponsored by:

Electronic Tach Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 12:26 PM
djb68
7th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Electronic Tach Conversion

Previous owner converted the distributor to an HEI and had the tach on the steering column. I am going to convert the C3 tach to an electronic tach from Zip. According to the Zip video, the tach has to be calibrated and to do so, you have to purchase a $50 conversion signal generator. I really don't want to spend an additional $50 for something I will only use once. Anyone know if you truly need to calibrate the a tach?
Old 05-14-2024, 12:51 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 915 Likes on 796 Posts

djb68
Watch this video. This guy just uses a 12 v battery to set zero. Pay attention to NOT wiping the tach surface with anything other than a SOFT DRY TISSUE, or just leave it alone...... that lettering is really, really delicate...... don't use water, nor windex, nor anything else..... NOT KIDDING.

Originally Posted by djb68
Previous owner converted the distributor to an HEI and had the tach on the steering column. I am going to convert the C3 tach to an electronic tach from Zip. According to the Zip video, the tach has to be calibrated and to do so, you have to purchase a $50 conversion signal generator. I really don't want to spend an additional $50 for something I will only use once. Anyone know if you truly need to calibrate the a tach?
Old 05-14-2024, 01:01 PM
djb68
7th Gear

Thank you
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (05-14-2024)
Old 05-14-2024, 10:07 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

You're welcome. Let us know how it goes. I actually installed a 76 tach in my 68 and it's one of my favorite mods. Made future changes easier. I had to buy a tach board too so it ended up costing me about 170 bucks....and that was 20-21 years ago.....
Old 05-14-2024, 10:22 PM
Dale Scribner
Heel & Toe

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just finished converting my C2 stock tach drive distributor to accept an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 electronic EFI distributor top. See pics.

Machined stock bowl to fit EFI

Tapped hole partern alowes top to be positioned anywhere.

Installed, see tack cable position.

carriljc (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 12:18 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Dale Scribner
Wow. Impressive. Did you have to machine the cast iron? And fabricate that collar? Is the collar screwed onto the cast iron? Very nice.
Old 05-15-2024, 07:01 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 859 Likes on 630 Posts

I have installed 2 of those Zip tach conversion kits, and they both needed calibration. I have the calibration tool I bought from Willcox years ago. I would be glad to send it to you as I have done for other members over the years. Just cover shipping and will be glad to do it.

Bill
Old 05-15-2024, 07:18 AM
PWPOOP
Racer

Received 257 Likes on 123 Posts

I installed the Zip tach & all I had to do was to put power to it & set the needle to zero RPM. It is pretty darn close, if not dead on, to what my timing light reads for RPM. I also thought I would have to get the tool, but I guess not.
Darin
carriljc (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 07:37 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,547 Likes on 4,052 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

You can do it with a timing light if it has a tach built in or use the tach that was on the steering wheel to calibrate by with your engine running......
And to add that the tiny rheostat is very easy to break. Mine fell apart while adjusting it so I brought it to work and soldered some 12 inch leads and a rheostat with a **** on it so I could do it while it was installed.
carriljc (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 08:05 AM
69ttop502
Le Mans Master

Received 859 Likes on 630 Posts

Good to know!
Old 05-15-2024, 11:06 AM
Dale Scribner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by carriljc
Dale Scribner
Wow. Impressive. Did you have to machine the cast iron? And fabricate that collar? Is the collar screwed onto the cast iron? Very nice.
No, I machined off the cast distributor bowl and turned down the diameter to fit the Edelbrock top. The Edelbrock top is screwed onto the cast base. I drilled and tapped 12 10-32 holes into the cast and added another set of 4 holes to the top piece. I had to use the original C2 shaft as the Edelbrock for some reason is a bigger diameter. This allows me to rotate the top to wherever I need it in relationship to the bottom, and screw it down.Over all, it is was a lot of work but in the end it was worth it and a lot of fun, especially when it fired up the first time.
carriljc (05-15-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 04:06 PM
djb68
7th Gear

Originally Posted by 69ttop502
I have installed 2 of those Zip tach conversion kits, and they both needed calibration. I have the calibration tool I bought from Willcox years ago. I would be glad to send it to you as I have done for other members over the years. Just cover shipping and will be glad to do it.

Bill
Thank you very much for the offer to loan me your calibration tool 66ttop502.
I am on a business trip right now and haven't ordered the conversion kit yet.
I'll reach back out to you when I get ready to install the conversion kit.
69ttop502 (05-17-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 04:07 PM
djb68
7th Gear

Originally Posted by Dale Scribner
I just finished converting my C2 stock tach drive distributor to accept an Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 electronic EFI distributor top. See pics.

Machined stock bowl to fit EFI

Tapped hole partern alowes top to be positioned anywhere.

Installed, see tack cable position.
Wow
I'm not that mechanically inclined.
And my engine is no where that clean.
Old 05-17-2024, 11:33 PM
Dale Scribner
Heel & Toe

Wow
I'm not that mechanically inclined.
And my engine is no where that clean.
It is clean because it is new install. 383, tremec 5 speed 336 rear end, 4 wheel disc brakes and Pro flo 4 EFI, Bordeson power steering and AC, factory but modern compressor. Only have a few hours on it. Took it out for a putt today and at 70 MPH we were turning 1800 rpms. I am really happy with this combination. I had been stockpileing parts for 7 years and finially got it done. Next, front suspension rebuild. It is a joy to own one of these and be able to still work on it a 81 years old.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dale Scribner:
carriljc (05-18-2024), Rescue Rogers (05-18-2024)
Old 05-17-2024, 11:41 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

It is clean because it is new install. 383, tremec 5 speed 336 rear end, 4 wheel disc brakes and Pro flo 4 EFI, Bordeson power steering and AC, factory but modern compressor. Only have a few hours on it. Took it out for a putt today and at 70 MPH we were turning 1800 rpms. I am really happy with this combination. I had been stockpileing parts for 7 years and finially got it done. Next, front suspension rebuild. It is a joy to own one of these and be able to still work on it a 81 years old.
That's a slick setup.

Do you know if that same rig would fit under the stock hood of a base model '71 C3?

Thanks
Old 05-18-2024, 04:23 PM
Dale Scribner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by drspencer
That's a slick setup.

Do you know if that same rig would fit under the stock hood of a base model '71 C3?

Thanks
It might, I used a drop down air filter base and tilted it forward by making a tapered ring and welding that on the base. It has good clearance on a stock C2. The Edelbrock IFI intake was actually lower than the original C2 high performance intake. Edelbrock support might be able to tell you, they did for me. Dale
Old 05-18-2024, 05:31 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

It might, I used a drop down air filter base and tilted it forward by making a tapered ring and welding that on the base. It has good clearance on a stock C2. The Edelbrock IFI intake was actually lower than the original C2 high performance intake. Edelbrock support might be able to tell you, they did for me. Dale
Any opinions on the ProFlo 4 vs. a well-tuned Quadrajet?

Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To Electronic Tach Conversion

Old 05-19-2024, 12:07 PM
Dale Scribner
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by drspencer
Any opinions on the ProFlo 4 vs. a well-tuned Quadrajet?

Thanks
I haven't touched a quadrajet in 40 or 50 years. I had a Holley double pumper on the engine I took out, a 1970 365 HP engine. That Holley was forever out of tune and was a leaker. After going to the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 there is no comparison. Very easy install and setup. The performance shop that did the dyno testing on my engine before I installed it were very happy with the Pro Flo 4 and how easy it was to run through the setup using the app and my phone via bluetooth. They said they wanted to become a dealer after they were finished. This car now fires up immediately and doesn't smell like gas like the Holley carb did. I believe Holley now makes an EFI similar to Edelbrock and they make a tach drive distributor. Their front runner system is also very nice. Hood clearance was one reason I purchased the Edelbrock. The air cleaner cleared on my C2. Dale
I tried a 3" air filter but no go, so 2" it is.

Last edited by Dale Scribner; 05-19-2024 at 12:14 PM.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:30 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,547 Likes on 4,052 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

I can compare it to the sniper....Holleys Quadrajet was much better....16 mpg and no issues...dont buy a sniper
Old 05-19-2024, 09:36 PM
drspencer
Burning Brakes

I haven't touched a quadrajet in 40 or 50 years. I had a Holley double pumper on the engine I took out, a 1970 365 HP engine. That Holley was forever out of tune and was a leaker. After going to the Edelbrock Pro Flo 4 there is no comparison. Very easy install and setup. The performance shop that did the dyno testing on my engine before I installed it were very happy with the Pro Flo 4 and how easy it was to run through the setup using the app and my phone via bluetooth. They said they wanted to become a dealer after they were finished. This car now fires up immediately and doesn't smell like gas like the Holley carb did. I believe Holley now makes an EFI similar to Edelbrock and they make a tach drive distributor. Their front runner system is also very nice. Hood clearance was one reason I purchased the Edelbrock. The air cleaner cleared on my C2. Dale
I tried a 3" air filter but no go, so 2" it is.
Thanks for the response, Dale.

Fuel injection has tremendous appeal to me, but I know very little about aftermarket EFI systems.

Quick Reply: Electronic Tach Conversion