C3 General General C3 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I buy this '80 C3 manual with 24k original miles?

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2024, 12:48 AM
cptcrusty1
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Should I buy this '80 C3 manual with 24k original miles?

Hi all!

I'm a gear head, wrench turner, etc. Previous classic was a '67 mustang 289ci/3sp, current project has been a 74 beetle that I converted to a Baja bug as a father/son project that turned out better than I planned and is a blast to drive... well...go mudding in. Along comes an old friend with health problems that shows me his '80 vette in the garage with 24018 miles on the clock. 4 speed. Carb. Smells like my high school days working on Firebirds/Vettes/Mustangs, etc. It looks like it's in fairly good condition. Interior is worn, but not horrible. Under the hood the rubber looks good, vacuum lines look fresh, not dry and cracked. It has been sitting, but it runs and drives good as he's been cleaning it up for his son only to realize that his son has no idea what to do with this kind of a vehicle. The old guy is my former Platoon Sergeant, we go way back. The only issue I see is a horizontal crack on the right fender midway up starting by the door hinge, going forward about 3 inches. He drilled a small hole and did something to keep it from spreading, it was a new thing to me. He says he's going to get that fixed. Body is straight other than that.

Ok, bottom line. He wants me to buy it, tells me $18k. Wants to me take it and take care of it since his son can't and he likely can't for much longer. I definitely can. I need to make some changes (sell the baja, sell the goldwing), but is this worth the effort? If I did it, should I keep it stock, or is it worth more doing some HP upgrades? 190hp isn't a lot, but I do like a manual trans. I've always loved this body style.

I appreciate the mechanical insight. I've been working hard to pass on the gear and wrench knowledge to my son and maybe this would be his hand-me-down....

Thanks
Crusty.
Old 05-18-2024, 03:31 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,782 Likes on 2,880 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I certainly can't tell you if this is the car for you or not.
I believe the 1980 models are the best of the last of the C3's, (80-82 body style).
If the interior shows wear, maybe the odo has turned over??? Would make a big difference in Value.
4 speed car is the only way to go.
Price???
Sounds a bit high.
Pictures and more pictures would really help.
Frame??
Birdcage??
A small crack in the fibreglass is minor. A rusted Birdcage is the death of the car.
These are much higher maintenance cars than your old Mustang.
Should you bump up the power? ABSOLUTELY!
The following users liked this post:
Douglas Mariani (05-19-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 06:20 AM
1860army
Pro

Received 321 Likes on 196 Posts

Ten Rules for Buying a C3

Read through this link. My opinion, with no pictures and based on your description the price is way high, plus you know the seller so negotiating it down will be harder... 80 is a good year and its a 4 speed but thats it, look at this car for what it likely is, a project that will dig into your wallet and you are already starting high...

Old 05-18-2024, 07:48 AM
rdroket
Racer

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

JMO...If it only has 24k miles it was NOT very well taken care of. The interior shouldn't show hardly any wear, cracks in the fender? Sounds to me like 124K. 5-6 Grand would be plenty to buy it because you're going to spend 25K at minimum to restore it.
Old 05-18-2024, 07:51 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,230 Likes on 2,394 Posts

My 80 4-speed has been "around the horn". Shows 20K, actually 120K.

Mileage doesn't matter nearly as much as condition, though, especially rust, and paint. If the interior is good enough, great! Otherwise, that's $3K or more to replace. Every bushing will likely need to be replaced.

Please post some photos!
interpon (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 09:19 AM
cptcrusty1
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bikespace
My 80 4-speed has been "around the horn". Shows 20K, actually 120K.

Mileage doesn't matter nearly as much as condition, though, especially rust, and paint. If the interior is good enough, great! Otherwise, that's $3K or more to replace. Every bushing will likely need to be replaced.

Please post some photos!
So he says the mileage is original. I have no reason to not trust the guy. I've known him over 2 decades so if he says the car is good condition, it is. I'll still check it out, I was in the military so... trust but verify. Also, the title should potentially say something about it. If the car had 120k, it would have other signs of obvious mileage on it that it just doesn't have. So the 24k sounds right. The worn interior are things that the Texas heat will do. My brother had an MDX that he had worn the stitching off of from sliding in and out, as an example. Things like wear marks on the stearing wheel from driving it.... This doesn't have that. I also didn't see uneven wear on the Drivers seat vs. the Passenger seat from being driven and not having a passenger. I have lots of crawling around to do still. I'll talk to him, and I don't have a problem getting a solid number and giving it to him. If he says $18k, but the more realistic number is $16k, or whatever, that's what I'll tell him. He will appreciate me not trying to *****-foot with him and be nice because I don't want to hurt his feelings. He did 28 years in 3 different services so he's got skin like a great white and a sense of humor like a death row guard. But he's an awesome dude.
BarrelCurve (05-18-2024)
Old 05-18-2024, 02:38 PM
ratflinger
NCM Grand Opening Veteran
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 369 Likes on 256 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '17

Where in Texas and I suppose it was stored outdoors. And how about some pics?
Old 05-19-2024, 12:14 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,782 Likes on 2,880 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I'm afraid without a lot of photos. And the normal frame/birdcage inspection. Really hard to give any value. A car this old condition is everything.
The following 2 users liked this post by 4-vettes:
Bikespace (05-19-2024), Z0Tex (05-20-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 11:17 AM
TommyFox
Melting Slicks

Received 312 Likes on 213 Posts

18K with fiberglass work and most like 124k miles? Better deals out there....
Old 05-19-2024, 11:47 AM
Douglas Mariani
GM Cert Corvette Tech
Pro Mechanic

Received 442 Likes on 200 Posts

First of all any cracks in fiberglass are gonna be expensive to repair properly. Also I have to agree with Bike Space it could probably be 124,000 miles. Also the undercarriage and bird cage need to be inspected properly and all rubber items on the car. Does he have documentation for any repairs and preventive maintenance? That drill hole procedure that you mentioned is it backyard mechanics repair/ Band-Aid. $18,000 is way too much for a 80 Corvette with any type of body damage. 4-Vettes is correct so If you have pictures of the car post them and members of the forum can probably pick out problems that are or may become in the future on the car.
You would be better off looking for a Corvette without any damage and that has been taken care of well.
Old 05-19-2024, 12:51 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

FWIW, this is what a $23K 1980 Corvette looks like. Probably $25K for a 4-speed.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-corvette.html
interpon (05-24-2024)
Old 05-19-2024, 12:57 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

It seems you value your friendship more than this car. That's good! Don't lose that. Here's what I'd do that will help your friend first.

Go look at current and prior C3 listings at BringATrailer.com (BaT) and get a feel for what they want with photos. Then test drive this car, and visit a local mechanic who will agree to do a full inspection, while you take pictures of the underside. Then go take the rest of the photos that you need. It could be hundreds by the time you are done, and some walkaround videos that you can post on YouTube.

Then help your friend list the car on BaT. Not all cars qualify, and if this one does not, you have a bunch of photos that your friend can use to sell the car elsewhere (including this Forum, though he needs an account).

Here's the big tip. Agree to a reserve price when he posts it on BaT. Without seeing the car, perhaps it's $12K. If the car sells for above that, great! Your friend gets the max value for the car by selling it at a national auction, and owes you a steak dinner. If it doesn't make the reserve price, cut him a check, and drive away in your new car with your friendship intact.

The following 3 users liked this post by Bikespace:
410bruce (05-23-2024), interpon (05-19-2024), whirledpeaz (05-22-2024)
Old 05-20-2024, 11:23 AM
Z0Tex
Pro

Received 355 Likes on 157 Posts

Where in Texas? If the frame & birdcage are OK and your friend is footing the bill for the body repair, this may not be a bad buy. There are still quite a few questions that need to be answered (and pictures taken and shown!) for us to give you an answer. Fiberglass body work isn't cheap and fewer and fewer shops are willing to take on that kind of work.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:18 AM
RC81
Pro

Received 173 Likes on 98 Posts

Do you even really want the car? You have to sell a couple toys to buy it you said, be honest if you see yourself a Corvette owner. And ya you'll want more power probably and that's not cheap unless you drive it and are ok with it.
Old 05-24-2024, 08:39 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 879 Likes on 695 Posts

Originally Posted by cptcrusty1
So he says the mileage is original. I have no reason to not trust the guy. I've known him over 2 decades so if he says the car is good condition, it is. I'll still check it out, I was in the military so... trust but verify. Also, the title should potentially say something about it. If the car had 120k, it would have other signs of obvious mileage on it that it just doesn't have. So the 24k sounds right. The worn interior are things that the Texas heat will do. My brother had an MDX that he had worn the stitching off of from sliding in and out, as an example. Things like wear marks on the stearing wheel from driving it.... This doesn't have that. I also didn't see uneven wear on the Drivers seat vs. the Passenger seat from being driven and not having a passenger. I have lots of crawling around to do still. I'll talk to him, and I don't have a problem getting a solid number and giving it to him. If he says $18k, but the more realistic number is $16k, or whatever, that's what I'll tell him. He will appreciate me not trying to *****-foot with him and be nice because I don't want to hurt his feelings. He did 28 years in 3 different services so he's got skin like a great white and a sense of humor like a death row guard. But he's an awesome dude.
check rubber gas and brake pedals for wear. They should look new with no wear. (interior should look fairly new too honestly). 18k is high. Around here I can get a chrome bumper c3 for that. (I paid $2700 for my 74 back in 2012. Drove it home but it was rough)

BTW I have a 64 and a 66 bug in the garage I need to do floor and heater channel repairs on. I'm dreading this.

Get notified of new replies

To Should I buy this '80 C3 manual with 24k original miles?

Quick Reply: Should I buy this '80 C3 manual with 24k original miles?