Notices
C8 Z06/ZR1/Zora Discussion General Z06, ZR1 and Zora Corvette Discussion, Technical Info, Performance Upgrades, Suspension Setup for Street or Track
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Wheel Designers

New Yenko Corvette or ZR1

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2024, 02:21 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Received 800 Likes on 518 Posts
Default New Yenko Corvette or ZR1

I have recently learned about the new Yenko Corvette. It is a 1,000 HP twin turbocharged LS2 with special graphics, etc. It is very appealing. It got me to thinking what would be worth more years down the road, this car or a ZR1? I think they will both cost around $200,000 originally and are both quite exclusive. The ZR1 is supposed to be a turbocharged LT6, so the basic motor will be different than what is in the Yenko, but from what I have heard, I don't think it will make 1,000 HP. I am not planning on buying either one, but in your opinion, which car will be worth more years down the road?
Old 05-24-2024, 02:34 PM
ATC399
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 770 Likes on 396 Posts

Are you a collector or driver?
Old 05-24-2024, 02:40 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Originally Posted by ATC399
Are you a collector or driver?
It doesn't matter what I am. I am wondering about future value. For the purpose of comparison, you can assume both cars will be driven/stored/cared for equally.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:50 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,252 Likes on 728 Posts

I'd probably do the ZR1.

I haven't studied Yenko's resale value. The real Yenko doesn't exist. Looking at other tuners, Callaway seems to be the best at holding value. Callaway seems to hold more value than the average aftermarket tuner, but it's still not really an investment as resale is higher but so is the upfront investment relative to the level of performance. If I were going to modify a stingray for big boost, I'd go with a well known tuner shop like ECS or Cordes and dump $30k to maybe $40 in the car and pocket the extra $60k+ saved by not buying the Yenko. That would be a much better investment. In 10 year, investing the $60k+ will be worth well over $100k. A Yenko corvette will be a 10 year old car that is a generation behind (i.e., the C9). I don't see it being that special as it won't be much better than a stock Zr1 and possible worse than a Zora (if built), and there will be people turning up the boost on ZR1s to get close to that HP level. It will also get roasted in the 1/4 mile by people putting boost on an e-ray, although above 130 a boosted e-ray will be no match.

The following users liked this post:
ClothSeats (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 02:50 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,423 Likes on 1,262 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

A modern Yenko is nowhere near as desirable as the Yenkos from the 60s. A modern Yenko is really just a tuner car similar to Lingenfelter, it's not even a factory option (if I remember correctly only the modern Callaways are factory RPO). Will a modern Yenko bring value? Maybe, to the right buyer, but it's going to be a much more limited audience who'll spend money on it. The ZR1 will be much more desirable to a much larger audience.
The following 2 users liked this post by EvanZR1:
ClothSeats (05-24-2024), Rob97rr (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 02:58 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,252 Likes on 728 Posts

Originally Posted by ClothSeats
It doesn't matter what I am. I am wondering about future value. For the purpose of comparison, you can assume both cars will be driven/stored/cared for equally.
It does matter. Put 60,000 miles on an expected collector car over 10 years and it depreciates a lot. People want collectible cars to be garage queens. A 10-year old ZR1 with 60,000 miles depreciates, but it still has a pretty good market, even if it is worth a bit less than a similar one with 20,000 miles. Time horizon matters too. 10 years versus 50 years can make a big difference too.
Old 05-24-2024, 02:58 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
A modern Yenko is nowhere near as desirable as the Yenkos from the 60s. A modern Yenko is really just a tuner car similar to Lingenfelter, it's not even a factory option (if I remember correctly only the modern Callaways are factory RPO). Will a modern Yenko bring value? Maybe, to the right buyer, but it's going to be a much more limited audience who'll spend money on it. The ZR1 will be much more desirable to a much larger audience.
The new Yenko Corvette is a Chevrolet dealer option, so I think that helps to bring some legitimacy to it. Plus, it comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty from Chevy.

Last edited by ClothSeats; 05-24-2024 at 03:05 PM.
Ragtop 99 (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 03:32 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

The new Yenko Corvette is a Chevrolet dealer option, so I think that helps to bring some legitimacy to it. Plus, it comes with a 3 year 36,000 mile warranty from Chevy.
Yes, you can buy it through certain Chevy dealers, but it is NOT an actual Chevrolet option or in any way officially approved by GM/Chevy. There is no legitimacy to it, the Yenko name has nothing to do with the Yenko dealerships of old or the COPO program. Read the brochure, the car is modified by the company "Specialty Vehicle Engineering", and the Yenko name is owned by "General Marketing Capital, Inc" (in no way related to GM). If you don't believe me on the warranty, contact Specialty Vehicle Engineering and ask them for the warranty documentation.
international blue (05-26-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 03:45 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
Yes, you can buy it through certain Chevy dealers, but it is NOT an actual Chevrolet option or in any way officially approved by GM/Chevy. There is no legitimacy to it, the Yenko name has nothing to do with the Yenko dealerships of old or the COPO program. Read the brochure, the car is modified by the company "Specialty Vehicle Engineering", and the Yenko name is owned by "General Marketing Capital, Inc" (in no way related to GM). If you don't believe me on the warranty, contact Specialty Vehicle Engineering and ask them for the warranty documentation.
Yes, I have read the brochure and am fully aware of Specialty Vehicle Engineering and the fact that the actual Yenko is no more. This group owns the license to use the Yenko badging. To me, that adds something as it harkens up performance of days past. I'm not sure what you mean by not believing you on the warranty. I did not say I did not believe you. Are you saying that Chevrolet will not support this warranty? If that is true, that definitely complicates things when warranty work is needed, but I don't think it has much of an impact on vehicle value years down the road (after warranty has expired), which is the main question here.

Last edited by ClothSeats; 05-24-2024 at 03:50 PM.
Old 05-24-2024, 03:53 PM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Up to you, you asked for opinions, I'm just trying to show you the reasoning. The factory warranty on the car will be in place, but will be completely voided for all powertrain items and will instead be covered by a 3rd party service plan, which is absolutely, positively NOT a GM/Chevy warranty. That service plan will most likely be accepted by any Chevy dealer, but there will be very specific language on what has to be done for the service plan provider to cover the cost of repairs. Please, if you are seriously considering the Yenko, get a copy of that service plan and thoroughly read it before buying as there may be gotchas in it like any track use or competitive use voiding the service plan (which would include drag racing, autox, etc). It will likely also be voided if there is any modification to the car.
The following 2 users liked this post by EvanZR1:
ClothSeats (05-24-2024), jbc1995fb (05-25-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 04:27 PM
Rob97rr
Burning Brakes

Received 780 Likes on 309 Posts

There is also aesthetics to consider, at least to some degree. Is the new Yenko using the base Stingray body, or the widebody from the higher performance variants? If all other things were kept equal (cost, amount driven, etc) the better-looking car might get more people's hearts racing. Just a thought.

And fwiw, I agree with EvanZR1 that the ZR1 will appeal to a much broader audience down the road.

-Robert

ClothSeats (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 04:54 PM
range96
Le Mans Master

Received 2,010 Likes on 1,237 Posts

I think on the short term the ZR1 would have a better resale value. On the long term the very scarce Yenko Corvette will demand higher prices (provided they are in pristine condition).
Old 05-24-2024, 04:57 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Originally Posted by Rob97rr
There is also aesthetics to consider, at least to some degree. Is the new Yenko using the base Stingray body, or the widebody from the higher performance variants? If all other things were kept equal (cost, amount driven, etc) the better-looking car might get more people's hearts racing. Just a thought.

And fwiw, I agree with EvanZR1 that the ZR1 will appeal to a much broader audience down the road.

-Robert
The new Yenko uses the base Stingray.
Rob97rr (05-24-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 05:01 PM
ClothSeats
Drifting

Originally Posted by range96
I think on the short term the ZR1 would have a better resale value. On the long term the very scarce Yenko Corvette will demand higher prices (provided they are in pristine condition).
It makes one wonder if this will all transpire much like the original Yenko Camaro and Corvettes did.
Old 05-24-2024, 06:36 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,232 Likes on 1,794 Posts

I have recently learned about the new Yenko Corvette. It is a 1,000 HP twin turbocharged LS2 with special graphics, etc. It is very appealing. It got me to thinking what would be worth more years down the road, this car or a ZR1? I think they will both cost around $200,000 originally and are both quite exclusive. The ZR1 is supposed to be a turbocharged LT6, so the basic motor will be different than what is in the Yenko, but from what I have heard, I don't think it will make 1,000 HP. I am not planning on buying either one, but in your opinion, which car will be worth more years down the road?
I think the Yenko Corvette will only be appealing to a few older guys chasing the name recognition of their youth. Gotta believe the ZR1 will have far broader appeal to car guys young and old.
The following 3 users liked this post by Big Lebowski:
638HP (05-26-2024), ClothSeats (05-24-2024), Phil1098 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-24-2024, 09:26 PM
Garret
Race Director

Received 1,021 Likes on 474 Posts
I believe in the Beer Fairy

Cars in general are not investments…get one and drive the **** out of it.
The following 5 users liked this post by Garret:
burtonbl103 (05-24-2024), EvanZR1 (05-28-2024), Phil1098 (05-26-2024), RFS-Z06 (05-26-2024), sambo60 (05-25-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 01:08 AM
wildanblue
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It makes one wonder if this will all transpire much like the original Yenko Camaro and Corvettes did.
I do not believe it will follow the course of the original Yenkos & think EvanZR1 is spot on with that assessment.

I caught that you are not a buyer at present, when & if you become one…drive what you like, the value in any Corvette is the joy it brings one, whether driving or selling.

Get notified of new replies

To New Yenko Corvette or ZR1

Old 05-26-2024, 01:23 AM
international blue
Melting Slicks

Received 2,427 Likes on 1,052 Posts

I really love to read statements like the above... "cars are not investments" and "cars are cars" and the rest. It is just as accurate to say "stocks are not investments" or "real estate is not an investment" if one has always lost money as well. I guess it's the same thing. If one doesn't understand a type of investment...you should keep your money in a bank.

Cars have been great investments for many people. There is are several investment funds that deal with vintage cars exclusively, and of course you can always buy car parts as well.

Buying a new car as an investment is tough, and you will probably need to spend a lot to get a good "investment." I have watched Lexus LFA cars go up and up, with the desirable colors being the special ones at auction these days...I think that car was $400,000.00 new in 2012 and the price today has kept pace...most of them today are worth $800,000.00 but the best of them "in the wrapper" have sold for $1.6M. Is a car an investment? The LFA is a great investment.

Other cars, purchased new or preferably depreciated used and kept in a pristine state have also been great. From the 1990 Honda CRX Is to the BMW M3, cars appreciate over time. Are they a hedge against inflation? Pick your car and find out.

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...tive%20sector.

As for the ZR1 vs a "Yenko"... There will be many ZR1's that are destined to be kept pristine "in the wrapper". What will differentiate them is color and options. The best and fullest value is realized from bright colors and open cars that are uncommon. How many Yenko cars will be made, how many are 3LZ convertibles and how many in yellow become huge questions for value. Ordering a 1LZ Yenko coupe in silver with a black interior....forget it. Wait to buy it used.

A ZR1 is a special elephant to go after. If you get a build slot, and have the elephant gun loaded, order it to the hilt, the best colors and the most spectacular interior. They will be rare and special. BUT GM has to keep it that way. If they made just 500 of them it would be an investment from day 1. I think the number is going to be low, only 1000 cars. There are only 50 "2025" Yenkos, and 10 "2024" cars. It's a modified Stingray, and not a wide body car. At some point I would prefer the ZR1, and it will outperform the Yenko on the track though few will ever go there. In any case good luck with your choice...

Last edited by international blue; 05-26-2024 at 01:46 AM.
Old 05-26-2024, 05:15 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,845 Likes on 3,220 Posts

Depreciating asset. The worst financial decision you make is purchasing in any way shape or form, a new vehicle unless you are writing it off on your business taxes.

Period end of story.

There is no car in history outside of a few european exotics that ever returned more than just investing in the S&P 500.

We buy cars for our own enjoyment. Some lose less than others. That's about it.

Cars are a hobby. In the short term maybe you male out ok but passing even a few years the money you spent on your ZTK ZR1 or you name it car is not making you more money than the stock market over tine even with the crash from time to time.

I'll wait for someone to prove that statement wrong....
The following 2 users liked this post by 23/C8Z:
EvanZR1 (05-28-2024), RFS-Z06 (05-26-2024)
Old 05-26-2024, 07:03 AM
KCC8
Racer

Received 329 Likes on 190 Posts

“Some lose less than others” - well said.

Unless GM artificially limits supply, neither will be good investments. Buy what you like! It is hilarious, to me, to read all of the threads on resale values, I just don’t get it. Or never driving the car to “protect the value”. For that matter I don’t get the PPF craze either.

Quick Reply: New Yenko Corvette or ZR1