Southern California Southern California

Blood Enterprises (Question): Auburn, WA.

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2006, 05:12 PM
460HP-YLO-JAKT
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts

Default Blood Enterprises (Question): Auburn, WA.

Does anyone know what they charge for a dyno and tune? My 2000 FRC has 8900 miles on it. I don't plan on doing any racing and wondered if it was cost effective to have it dyno'd with just a few bolt on mods such as Halltech Stinger and headers. I've already done the exhaust with Corsa Tigersharks and x-pipe. I'd appreciate your feedback.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 PM
ExRedRacer
Team Owner

Received 1,029 Likes on 549 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09, '14-'15-'16-'17-'18

Originally Posted by rdhotc5
Does anyone know what they charge for a dyno and tune? My 2000 FRC has 8900 miles on it. I don't plan on doing any racing and wondered if it was cost effective to have it dyno'd with just a few bolt on mods such as Halltech Stinger and headers. I've already done the exhaust with Corsa Tigersharks and x-pipe. I'd appreciate your feedback.
Only can tell you what I've heard...a dyno is anywhere between $300-$500. Since you already have the intake, heads, and exhaust, you might find some extra performance with a good dyno. I'd heard that a dyno isn't worth it if all you've done is put on an exhaust system. That's why I've not done it yet.

I'm sure those with more experience will chime in. In any case, good luck...
Old 01-10-2006, 07:48 PM
binkysgarage
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you plan on making any more mods to the motor I would wait till your done before paying for Dyno tune.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:02 PM
TurboNova
Navigator

We are in Olympia not as close to you but the normal dyno test is $75 for three pulls to get horsepower numbers with a print out and wideband O2 reading. For by the hour time it is $85 an hour you can do what ever you want to the car bring what ever you need. If you want us to tune with software ect the cost is $120 an hour.

We have a customer that we are going to twin turbo a C5 with a bigger engine something in the 400 cubic inch department.

Last edited by TurboNova; 01-14-2006 at 03:44 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 01:08 AM
corvette184
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

bloods dyno is nice ...but it is very very STINGY(mustang brand) i dynoed at bloods and only got around 380 at the wheels...i drove straight to turbo tech in tacoma and nailed 496 on both my pulls there....a dyno run at TTI in tacoma is around 80 as i remember ...and george there is now doing some tuning on LS1 corvettes ....let me know if anyone wants to get together going on there..i was just up there with my 66 SS396 chevelle
Old 01-14-2006, 12:38 PM
TurboNova
Navigator

Originally Posted by corvette184
bloods dyno is nice ...but it is very very STINGY(mustang brand) i dynoed at bloods and only got around 380 at the wheels...i drove straight to turbo tech in tacoma and nailed 496 on both my pulls there....a dyno run at TTI in tacoma is around 80 as i remember ...and george there is now doing some tuning on LS1 corvettes ....let me know if anyone wants to get together going on there..i was just up there with my 66 SS396 chevelle
The reson for this is the type of dyno, the Mustang is a eddy current and the Dyno Jet uses a 4000lb drum for it's loading. For braggin rights the Dyno Jet will always give you bigger numbers but for EFI tuning the Mustang or our Dyno Dynamics dyno is better.

Here is why.
With a Dyno Jet you have to make a full pull then check what cells the car went through on the fuel table and change.

With a Dyno Dynamcis or Mustang you can actually load the roller and hit almost all the cells in the table. The more cells you can tune perfect,the better the tune will be.

What dyno is correct? There really isn't a answer for this. I have seen different numbers on the same brand of dyno. Does this really matter if you make 300hp and make some changes and get 350hp? I would say no matter what you just gained 50hp.

The added power shows up on the track or the street no matter what the dyno number shows. Do we really race dynos? Do you pull up at the stop light next to the other guy and ask him what his number was?

I have used all three brands and each has it plus and minus. If you add about 15% to a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics dyno you will have about a Dyno Jet number.

Brian Macy
Horsepower Connection
http://www.horsepowerconnection.com

Last edited by TurboNova; 01-14-2006 at 03:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 PM
Trigger Creep
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboNova
I have used all three brands and each has it plus and minus. If you add about 15% to a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics dyno you will have about a Dyno Jet number.
Interesting..... thanks for the info.
Old 01-15-2006, 03:56 PM
vetred
Drifting

496??,.......380??,......one hundred and sixteen thumping horses???????? That dispairity cannot simply be dismissed!!! and if the big one is not as accurate,... it does no good! 496 horse power is an AWFULL lot of poneys. What we need more than anything else in the P.N.W. is a true standard! I do not know how we arrive at that!.....I AM NO ROCKET-SCIENTIST Im only the son-inlaw of a rocket scientist
Old 01-15-2006, 11:05 PM
TurboNova
Navigator

Originally Posted by vetred
496??,.......380??,......one hundred and sixteen thumping horses???????? That dispairity cannot simply be dismissed!!! and if the big one is not as accurate,... it does no good! 496 horse power is an AWFULL lot of poneys. What we need more than anything else in the P.N.W. is a true standard! I do not know how we arrive at that!.....I AM NO ROCKET-SCIENTIST Im only the son-inlaw of a rocket scientist
In the Pacific Northwest... how about the whole US. There is no standard in the US at all with Chassis Dynos, they all arrive at their horsepower figures differently.

Here is some of the problem in comparing dyno numbers, some dynos use a different SAE correction formula. Here is an example, I dynoed a nitrous engine at one facility (engine dyno) it used a Stuska Engine Dyno with a Depac data acquisition system. My engine made 676hp. Now I took the engine to a different engine dyno which was also a Stuska Engine Dyno with a Depac data acquisition system. Now the same brand of dyno and same data aq system. The second dyno I recorded 565hp with the same engine no changes. On both of these dynos you have to enter the Baro, Altitude and relative humidity manually. Did it really make less power? No not at all. After doing some research on the subject I found that the Depac software was changed to use the new SAE formula for "corrected horsepower" this is the number that you plug the Baro Pressure, Altitude, Relative Humidity into and get "Corrected Horsepower" this formula changed sometime over the years. The new formula although supposed to be more accurate gives a lower corrected horsepower number. The original SAE dyno correction formula came from Airplane mixture calculations and was adopted by SAE for cars. Then later SAE came out with a better calc that more applies to cars. The second dyno that we used was newer and used the more up to date correction. Now I expect this same thing to occur on different brands of chassis dynos especially if they are older dynos, certainly some dynos still use the old formula for corrected horsepower.

There are other things that will affect your horsepower number.. one is what does the dyno operator have the "correction factor" set to? This is a user entered number on chassis dynos. On some chassis dynos it is a little deeper in the software then ours but it is still there. If I entered a number like 1.5 then your measured horsepower would be multiplied by 1.5 and graphed as such. I have seen some operators put in higher "correction factor" numbers to give off bigger horsepower numbers on their dynos.

It also comes down to the specific dyno software, each system does it a little different. The way a Dyno Jet calculates horsepower is how fast you spin the 4000lb drum. With my car it would accelerate that drum so fast that the system said no way and would drop the data because it didn't think it was possible. 1076hp on a Dyno Jet in Portland.

On our system (Dyno Dynamics) and Mustang it measures the horsepower directly from the roller speed. On Dyno Dynamics in particular it measures off of the roller wheel with a sensor similar to the way a crank sensor works. Most of our customers that have been to Blood's dyno their numbers are within a few horsepower of his. Now if you have two different brands of dynos (Bloods and mine) and they agree who is right ours or the Dyno Jet? Does it really matter?

It does not really matter to me. Our customers consistently leave with bigger horsepower numbers than when they come through the door after we get finished tuning them. That is what really matters. We bought this dyno for it's EFI tuning ability and not for big horsepower numbers. With this type of dyno you can tune almost all of the fuel cell numbers on the table, you can't do that with a Dyno Jet. Our system cost almost double what a Dyno Jet does and there is a reason for it. In the EFI tuning community the two chassis dynos considered "Best" are the Dyna Pak and Dyno Dynamics, both can steady state tune very accurately and repeatable.

By the way my car makes 1236hp to the wheels and I am going to take it to my friends dyno in Portland to see how much higher it reads there. I suspect it will be somewhere in the 1400s.

Brian Macy
Horsepower Connection.com

Last edited by TurboNova; 01-15-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:10 PM
binkysgarage
Burning Brakes

I've had my vette on Brians dyno at Horsepower Connection, it pumped out about 300 hp which seems about right for a stock C-5. It seems to me if your tuning off a certain brand dyno and show increases thats what its all about. I don't think most customers jump from one dyno to another in between mods.
Old 01-15-2006, 11:13 PM
vetred
Drifting

Originally Posted by TurboNova
In the Pacific Northwest... how about the whole US. There is no standard in the US at all with Chassis Dynos, they all arrive at their horsepower figures differently.

Here is some of the problem in comparing dyno numbers, some dynos use a different SAE correction formula. Here is an example, I dynoed a nitrous engine at one facility (engine dyno) it used a Stuska Engine Dyno with a Depac data acquisition system. My engine made 676hp. Now I took the engine to a different engine dyno which was also a Stuska Engine Dyno with a Depac data acquisition system. Now the same brand of dyno and same data aq system. The second dyno I recorded 565hp with the same engine no changes. On both of these dynos you have to enter the Baro, Altitude and relative humidity manually. Did it really make less power? No not at all. After doing some research on the subject I found that the Depac software was changed to use the new SAE formula for "corrected horsepower" this is the number that you plug the Baro Pressure, Altitude, Relative Humidity into and get "Corrected Horsepower" this formula changed sometime over the years. The new formula although supposed to be more accurate gives a lower corrected horsepower number. The original SAE dyno correction formula came from Airplane mixture calculations and was adopted by SAE for cars. Then later SAE came out with a better calc that more applies to cars. The second dyno that we used was newer and used the more up to date correction. Now I expect this same thing to occur on different brands of chassis dynos especially if they are older dynos, certainly some dynos still use the old formula for corrected horsepower.

There are other things that will affect your horsepower number.. one is what does the dyno operator have the "correction factor" set to? This is a user entered number on chassis dynos. On some chassis dynos it is a little deeper in the software then ours but it is still there. If I entered a number like 1.5 then your measured horsepower would be multiplied by 1.5 and graphed as such. I have seen some operators put in higher "correction factor" numbers to give off bigger horsepower numbers on their dynos.

It also comes down to the specific dyno software, each system does it a little different. The way a Dyno Jet calculates horsepower is how fast you spin the 4000lb drum. With my car it would accelerate that drum so fast that the system said no way and would drop the data because it didn't think it was possible. 1076hp on a Dyno Jet in Portland.

On our system (Dyno Dynamics) and Mustang it measures the horsepower directly from the roller speed. On Dyno Dynamics in particular it measures off of the roller wheel with a sensor similar to the way a crank sensor works. Most of our customers that have been to Blood's dyno their numbers are within a few horsepower of his. Now if you have two different brands of dynos (Bloods and mine) and they agree who is right ours or the Dyno Jet? Does it really matter?

It does not really matter to me. Our customers consistently leave with bigger horsepower numbers than when they come through the door after we get finished tuning them. That is what really matters. We bought this dyno for it's EFI tuning ability and not for big horsepower numbers. With this type of dyno you can tune almost all of the fuel cell numbers on the table, you can't do that with a Dyno Jet. Our system cost almost double what a Dyno Jet does and there is a reason for it. In the EFI tuning community the two chassis dynos considered "Best" are the Dyna Pak and Dyno Dynamics, both can steady state tune very accurately and repeatable.

By the way my car makes 1236hp to the wheels and I am going to take it to my friends dyno in Portland to see how much higher it reads there. I suspect it will be somewhere in the 1400s.

SOOOOOOOO, I see that you ARE a rocket scientist! I mean 1236H.P.! GEEEEEEEEEEZ dude,can you addopt me?????,..........please???
Old 01-15-2006, 11:33 PM
TurboNova
Navigator

Rocket Scientist no, was an engineer at the State, before that Machinist/Welder... always a car nut. I just did a lot of research before plunking down this much cash on one tool for my business. After talking to other dyno owners, tuners, EFI experts ect.. the conclusion was Dyno Dynamics hands down.

Brian Macy
Horsepower Connection.com
Old 01-15-2006, 11:52 PM
corvette184
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

the only reason i went directly to another dyno is that i just installed a vortech supercharger and i know most stock 02 c5s dyno around 300...and i know what mods i already had done and 380 could not be correct.....so off i went to TTI.... i am not putting down any shop...only stating the facts that i know .....i sure wish my 66 ss chevelle did better after i left TTI lol lol i was a lil down in the face that day... GO SEAHAWKS
Old 01-15-2006, 11:56 PM
corvette184
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

BTW my yellow vet is no longer supercharged...i had major belt issues and sent the car to andy at a&a and went with a stroked afr headed beast instead....i only have a measly 460 at the wheels now
Old 01-16-2006, 12:09 AM
TurboNova
Navigator

the only reason i went directly to another dyno is that i just installed a vortech supercharger and i know most stock 02 c5s dyno around 300...and i know what mods i already had done and 380 could not be correct.....so off i went to TTI.... i am not putting down any shop...only stating the facts that i know .....i sure wish my 66 ss chevelle did better after i left TTI lol lol i was a lil down in the face that day... GO SEAHAWKS
Really a base line number is where to start. If you made 380 then used that to tune from, then what does it matter what the number is? TTIs dyno seems to read alot higher then most dynos in the area. I am not sure why. Most Dyno Jet dynos seem to read about 15% more than a Mustang or Dyno Dynamics but over 100hp difference. I have had Honda kids come in and say that their car also read 100hp more in Tacoma. This is a lot when their car only makes 250 to start with.

Get notified of new replies

To Blood Enterprises (Question): Auburn, WA.

Quick Reply: Blood Enterprises (Question): Auburn, WA.