2013 Corvette Challenge Event #1: Download

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2013, 09:54 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Received 227 Likes on 179 Posts

Default 2013 Corvette Challenge Event #1: Download

2013 CORVETTE CHALLENGE EVENT #1 @ BWRP

Well the first event of the year is complete. We had light drizzle all morning which made for some very interesting driving and kept the tow truck very busy. Even I found myself 8 inches deep in the mud which seemed to please just about every Corvette Challenge driver

It did finally dry up for the most part with a couple of slippery spots so everyone got some decent track time.

We all got together for the FREE Corvette Challenge lunch.

We have 3 new drivers: Tim, Lukas and Bill

Time for the smack talk and video

PLEASE REMEMBER TO SUPPORT ALL OUR SPONSORS WHO MAKE THIS GREAT EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE

2013 CORVETTE CHALLENGE SPONSORS

ORGANIZATION SPONSORS
Speed Ventures - http://speedventures.com/

GOLD SPONSORS
Cunningham Motorsports - http://www.cunningham-motorsports.com
West Coast Cylinder Heads - http://www.proheads.com/

SILVER SPONSORS
RPM Motors - http://www.rpm-motors-inc.com/
Pfadt Racing - http://www.pfadtracing.com
Torco Race Fuel - http://www.jbsblownc5.net/products.html
KNSBrakes - http://knsbrakes.com/
Canyon Run Videos - http://www.canyonrunvideos.com/

DH
Old 01-26-2013, 10:18 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Wow screwed up day for me. Not only did I go into the mud and spend 90 minutes getting enough off the car to make it save to drive. And getting the mud out of the wheel drums so the car could go over 50 mph but I didn't even get it on video. It was session 3 and we were blacked flagged so I turned it off and forgot to put it back on when we went back on which is when I decided I now new how to drive in the rain.

But I did get video of getting towed off

And then my last session where I did a 1:10.xx and passed a bunch of cars didn't come out cause my camera was on the whole time I was cleaning up

BUT STILL HAD FUN AND WAS BETTER THAN SITTING HOME AND WATCHING SPONGE BOB RERUNS !!!

DH
Old 01-26-2013, 10:42 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

HERE IS VERY EXCITING VIDEO OF ME GETTING TOWED OUT OF THE MUD AND GETTING LECTURED BY THE TOW TRUCK OPERATOR

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 01-26-2013 at 10:44 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:43 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

That's OK Howie. I can post my excursion from last year for you.

You can go to the last 30 seconds.... http://vimeo.com/18020945
Old 01-26-2013, 11:09 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

RED #4 Part1 - Before Black Flag

Here is after the Black Flag

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 01-26-2013 at 11:12 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Here is some slipping and sliding in RED #2

IF YOU LOOK AT THE LONG PLOWING ON THE LEFT BEFORE PHIL HILL YOU CAN SEE WHERE I WENT OFF !!

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 01-27-2013 at 12:26 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 03:14 AM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a great day , no off track excursions and was able to run all four sessions. I actually was surprised how well I did in the morning in the first two sessions under rainy wet conditions as this was a first for me. I was running a new set of front tires but my two rear tires had about five track days on them and were near the end of there life span. I actually enjoyed the challenge of running in the rain. It kept me intensely focused on track conditions and the crazy movement the car would make when the tires would loose grip and drift off line. For me the demands of driving on the wet track were mentally and physically exhausting partly due to the adrenalin rush when I felt my car loose traction. Don't get me wrong, I do prefer a faster dryer track like we luckily got later in the day. Hope everyone made it home safely as I ran into even more rain and slippery road on the way home near Frazier Park.

Last edited by frank dupuy; 01-27-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Old 01-27-2013, 11:37 AM
fatbillybob
Melting Slicks

Received 209 Likes on 164 Posts

DH,

BRP mud eats paint!!! Get is all off with a hose and towel wipe it down good with lots of water.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:50 PM
peterpiper
Pro

You need one of these from our sponsor, Pfadt!

http://www.pfadtracing.com/catalog/p...roducts_id/169

-pp
Old 01-27-2013, 05:19 PM
doveboat
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
DH,

BRP mud eats paint!!! Get is all off with a hose and towel wipe it down good with lots of water.
That is some hearty mud, even without any off track adventures it took me a cpl of hours to get my C5Z all cleaned up.

I do have to say I did not have the same level of slide appeal that the swarm of S2000's exhibited on track. My goal was to stay on track, many of them seemed intent on sliding as much as possible and tempt the mighty Adobe Mud compound.

I did run 4 sessions and had a fun time with all the folks. Welcome to Tim & Lucash, nice spending time with you.

Ed
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Michael J. Z06
Racer

Originally Posted by doveboat
That is some hearty mud, even without any off track adventures it took me a cpl of hours to get my C5Z all cleaned up.

I do have to say I did not have the same level of slide appeal that the swarm of S2000's exhibited on track. My goal was to stay on track, many of them seemed intent on sliding as much as possible and tempt the mighty Adobe Mud compound.

I did run 4 sessions and had a fun time with all the folks. Welcome to Tim & Lucash, nice spending time with you.

Ed
Sounds like some of you guys might've had some "tire creep". Just a thought.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:04 PM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by doveboat

Ed
Only two hours? I have been cleaning my car for most of the day and still not done. I had to take all the wheels off to get them clean and to get the large amount of dirt that accumulated on the inner fender wells,shocks,brakes etc etc etc. The rear of the car had so much dirt accumulation you couldn't even see the license plate numbers and the tail lights were solid brown no red showing. I hate to think what Dirty Howie is going through getting his car cleaned up after sliding off track and ending up in eight inches of BW mud.

Last edited by frank dupuy; 01-27-2013 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 09:49 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by fatbillybob
DH,

Carl

Last week I put on some good wax. I did clean it today. Hard to get off.

I also got 10 lbs of mud off the underside of the car ..... not fun.

DH
Old 01-27-2013, 09:53 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Originally Posted by frank dupuy
Only two hours? I have been cleaning my car for most of the day and still not done. I had to take all the wheels off to get them clean and to get the large amount of dirt that accumulated on the inner fender wells,shocks,brakes etc etc etc. The rear of the car had so much dirt accumulation you couldn't even see the license plate numbers and the tail lights were solid brown no red showing. I hate to think what Dirty Howie is going through getting his car cleaned up after sliding off track and ending up in eight inches of BW mud.
Let me put it this way ........ I WILL NEVER RUN BWRP IN THE RAIN AGAIN !!!!!!!!

The whole under carriage should be disassembled, cleaned and put back together. I should have taken a picture of the four huge piles of mud clots I removed.

DH
Old 01-27-2013, 11:09 PM
jbsblownc5
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 897 Likes on 403 Posts
2017 C5 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '08

We had a 4+ hour ride home to Idyllwild, so I opted to skip the last session. I did get one half way decent run on my 3d session since the track was only half wet.

Let's just say I picked a BAD day to run slicks on a 1000 HP supercharged car...

I put the cameras on for one session, but don't think I got much, since the lense was covered in Mud!

I had no intension of any off track/mud bowl experiences, and played it safe for the limited time I spent on the track...

Home safe and sound, and even got to Costco on the way home for the electric reclining leather love seat for the wife and I. Also picked up the Samsung Crystal suround air track, to go with the 60 inch LED TV we picked up last week. We had room in the trailer, so in it went!!!

Headed downstairs to watch a movie, have a great night!
Old 01-28-2013, 02:26 AM
frank dupuy
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Dirty Howie
Let me put it this way ........ I WILL NEVER RUN BWRP IN THE RAIN AGAIN !!!!!!:

DH
Howie the day before when we talked on the phone you assured me there would be no rain on Saturday at BWRP. As a meteorologist ( weather man) you stink . I will forgive you for your bogus weather prediction for the 2013 Inaugural Corvette Challenge track day as it could have been worse. As bad as the track conditions were most of the day I still enjoyed myself as my car served me well all day. I do hope for more sun and less H2O for the February Challenge.
Old 01-28-2013, 11:41 PM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

The 2013 Corvette Challenge is pleased to announce the return of Excelsior Motorsports as Silver Sponsor

Excelsior - http://excelsiormotorsports.com/

DH

Get notified of new replies

To 2013 Corvette Challenge Event #1: Download

Old 01-29-2013, 12:20 AM
Dirty Howie
Team Owner

Speed Venture Results are up:

DH

Last edited by Dirty Howie; 01-29-2013 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 AM
peterpiper
Pro

Too bad I had to leave before the track dried...my wet-track time: 2:35.8!

-pp
Old 01-29-2013, 12:58 PM
SoDiezl350
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It was very nice meeting everyone. I guess I'm the only one who found the rain made it even more fun. That being said I didn't have the misfortune of getting stuck in the mud so maybe my tune would be different had I not been so lucky. I posted a video on youtube of the last session of the day (white-5). I think it was only 3 of us out there. This was the first and only time I ran off the track. Looks like I got it easy though. Fast forward to 7:15 if that's all you're after but maybe one of you veterans can explain to me why I got my first black flag after the 1st lap.

Either way I had a blast and I can't wait to meet you all out at the track again!

Last edited by SoDiezl350; 01-29-2013 at 01:02 PM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Corvette Challenge Event #1: Download