Southern California Southern California

Where In SoCal Do You Have Your Classic Vette Serviced?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:14 PM
JD Butter
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Where In SoCal Do You Have Your Classic Vette Serviced?

Just curious to gather opinions on the best place to keep a low mileage, very original Corvette serviced/repaired. In my case, a 69 L46. Basically looking for someone who can keep my car original, very knowledgeable about the specifics of older Corvettes, will use and know the right parts and methods. Doesn't have to be the cheapest option, per se. More important that they are honest, and know classic Vettes backwards and forwards. I am willing to go as far as Corvette Mike in Anaheim, but the closer to the city the better. Any informed opinions will be appreciated. Thanks, gang!
Old 11-13-2013, 10:40 PM
b_pappy
Melting Slicks

Location: the GOCC are everywhere, even back from "band camp"
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm very happy with Mike Bradley in Chatsworth, he does our original '64 Corvette, and our hot rod '65 El Camino.
10121 Canoga Ave, Chatsworth, CA 91311
(818) 882-0717
Tim and Mike know their stuff and are great to work with.
Bruce
Old 11-13-2013, 10:50 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Received 1,171 Likes on 487 Posts

Probably the most knowledgable and best priced mechanic is Steve LuVisi at Automotive Expertise in Huntington Beach. He did his 100th body off restoration on the '64 on Overhaulin' many years ago and also did the '57 on that show. But don't hold that against him.

He knows NCRS better than most people know the back of their hand.

Many people on the C1/C2/C3 Forums won't go anyplace else or let anyone else touch their car. When you go to his shop, it is always a car show/candy store in there.

(BTW, he has and drives an NCRS Top Flight '68 L-88 roadster.)

BTW, lots of people with bad experiences at Corvette Mike's.

Last edited by toddalin; 11-13-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 11-14-2013, 03:32 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

i take my classic 69 427 Stingray to Miles at ACME garage in San Diego. this guy is a master of the carburetor, he has my tri power running like a freight train. they also do non performance work, like fixing door handles, windows, windshield wipers, etc...
Call and speak with Miles 858.874.6906
Old 11-14-2013, 10:56 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Stay away from Top Flight Corvette in San Diego. My club goes to Larry Hoffer in SD. Very good with C3's.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:43 AM
1psycho
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We can also keep it good as new and we're down in San Clemente, pm me for all the info
Old 11-15-2013, 04:28 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

OP We are a Corvette Specific/ Specialty Shop located in the South bay. In recent years we have become a more dedicated corvette performance and race pre shop but we have lots of experience working on Corvettes of all years from C2-C6. PM us for any additional information.
Old 11-19-2013, 01:38 AM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

J & D Corvette in Bellflower
Old 11-19-2013, 01:47 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ClipperFan
J & D Corvette in Bellflower
Like Corvette Mike, many mixed reviews for J&D. My experience with them was mostly bad and I was even friends with the owner (Noel Park) at the time.

I had them assemble the rear end that Coast Corvette built (to the wrong ratio, but that's another story). I told them to use the big block end caps and replace the U-joints.

They didn't use the BB end caps and had to redo the job. When I finally picked up the car, much of the exhaust had not been reattached and when I pointed it out, I had to wait for it to be done.

I asked if they replaced the U-joints and they said they were good so they just lubed them.

I took the car to the 1/4 mile and a U-joint let go. This caused over $3K worth of damage as the half shaft came into the car with me bouncing on the pavement and doing lots of damage under there (noisey too).

Steve LuVisi then did the repairs (and is now the only one who touches the car). He told me that the U-joints were badly worn and bone dry and had not even been serviced.

I told Noel what had happened and his response was (and I quote), "We don't warantee cars that are raced" and would have nothing to do with it.

But, if you need a used part, sometimes they are the only game in town.
Old 11-19-2013, 09:13 PM
ClipperFan
Race Director

Received 65 Likes on 48 Posts

Interesting! I've had good fortune taking my C4's and C5's there and every time I pull on the lot I see the early Vettes. I think Noel even races a C1 or C2 and u know about the parts and body shop so I am a surprised
Old 11-19-2013, 10:52 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by ClipperFan
Interesting! I've had good fortune taking my C4's and C5's there and every time I pull on the lot I see the early Vettes. I think Noel even races a C1 or C2 and u know about the parts and body shop so I am a surprised

Noel runs (or ran) a yellow '58. We've known Noel and Diane since ~'84 from days of The Vette Set of Manhattan Beach. IIRC, prior to owning J&D he was an architect or draftman. He also has (or had) a beautiful green '66 back in the day.

Last edited by toddalin; 11-19-2013 at 11:01 PM.
Old 12-01-2013, 01:46 AM
jdecarlo
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin
Probably the most knowledgable and best priced mechanic is Steve LuVisi at Automotive Expertise in Huntington Beach. He did his 100th body off restoration on the '64 on Overhaulin' many years ago and also did the '57 on that show. But don't hold that against him.

Many people on the C1/C2/C3 Forums won't go anyplace else or let anyone else touch their car. When you go to his shop, it is always a car show/candy store in there.

(BTW, he has and drives an NCRS Top Flight '68 L-88 roadster.)

Steve is a good guy, however if you have a 81 or newer he doesn't like working on those. Another guy in the area is Scott Jones over at the Corvette Shop in Costa Mesa. Probably the most honest guy I have ever met and does he know his stuff.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:02 PM
vetten76
Drifting

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jdecarlo
Steve is a good guy, however if you have a 81 or newer he doesn't like working on those. Another guy in the area is Scott Jones over at the Corvette Shop in Costa Mesa. Probably the most honest guy I have ever met and does he know his stuff.
It's so hard to recomend a shop. We all have different experiences with the same shop. I was friends with my local Vette shop. I took my 12000 mile C5 in for a transmission service. He recomended a part that would help with faster shifting. He ended up breaking my housing. Three times the trans came out. He blamed it on the trans. I ended up paying him $1500 just to get my car back. He lied every step of the way. I share this story with every Vette owner who will listen. Don't give him a chance to screw you. That would be Top Flight Corvette in San Diego. Some people love him. I used too.....
Old 12-01-2013, 08:20 PM
K B Vettin
Melting Slicks

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Does Steve Luvisi's shop do paint work or is it just mechanical?
Old 12-01-2013, 10:27 PM
toddalin
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by kristopherbush
Does Steve Luvisi's shop do paint work or is it just mechanical?
Mechanical. But, he could probably recommend a good one in the area. When we did the '64, he did the teardown/build-up and put in the 5-speed, new glass, sent out the chrome, etc. Eagleton, around the corner, did the paint, but I understand they've changed.

Last edited by toddalin; 12-01-2013 at 10:33 PM.
Old 12-14-2013, 09:25 PM
MVP'S ZO6
ISIS SUCKS FAT CHOAD
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

that's a good lookin ride!!
Old 02-22-2014, 07:56 PM
macpilot
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had a prospective car looked at by the HB guy, and would never go back to him. He is rude and acts as if you are bothering him. His testing equipment was not functioning correctly either. He may know a bunch about the older cars, but needs to understand customer service when people are paying him.

Get notified of new replies

To Where In SoCal Do You Have Your Classic Vette Serviced?

Old 02-22-2014, 08:04 PM
jdecarlo
Instructor

Originally Posted by macpilot
I just had a prospective car looked at by the HB guy, and would never go back to him. He is rude and acts as if you are bothering him. His testing equipment was not functioning correctly either. He may know a bunch about the older cars, but needs to understand customer service when people are paying him.
That is Steve for you. While he is a great Mechanic, he can be difficult at times. Try the Corvette Shop in Costa Mesa, but do call first and Introduce yourself. Leave a message he will get back to you.
Old 08-28-2017, 01:28 PM
thewest
Cruising

Default Corvette repair San Clemente

Originally Posted by 1psycho
We can also keep it good as new and we're down in San Clemente, pm me for all the info
Who are u and
Are u still in San Clemente or?
I have a 1964 vette
Old 08-30-2017, 01:18 AM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by toddalin

Absolutely!
Steve diagnosed and fixed a belt issue on my C4, in <10 minutes, then refused to take $$ for it. This, a problem that baffled a couple 'expert' Vette shops.

Ditto > (CM)

Last edited by whalepirot; 08-30-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Quick Reply: Where In SoCal Do You Have Your Classic Vette Serviced?