Southern California Southern California

C6 Silver Vette pursuit in LA tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2013, 02:16 AM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default C6 Silver Vette pursuit in LA tonight

Not sure if any of you saw this on the local news stations tonight. Started around 9pm or so and ended around 10:35pm. The news people made it a point that is was a corvette over and over. Unfortunately, the guy driving the vette hit another car at the end. Good thing though it looked like the people he hit were somewhat OK.

The vette driver, got out and ran around the back of the car toward the passenger side, and was shot dead. Before the end of the pursuit you could see on Channel 5 coverage (channel 9 news people are the worst on their reporting making up stuff as they went along) that the driver of the vette, while driving was really spazzing out yelling and hitting the steering wheel like he was talking to someone which it seemed like he was. After they showed that near the end, he started to really drive dangerously. Prior, during the pursuit he was using his turn signals and waited for traffic to go by before turning.

Goes with out saying of course, if it is a vette or any car that someone uses in pursuits like this, good thing no innocent people were killed or really injured.
Old 12-14-2013, 02:40 AM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
Not sure if any of you saw this on the local news stations tonight. Started around 9pm or so and ended around 10:35pm. The news people made it a point that is was a corvette over and over. Unfortunately, the guy driving the vette hit another car at the end. Good thing though it looked like the people he hit were somewhat OK.

The vette driver, got out and ran around the back of the car toward the passenger side, and was shot dead. Before the end of the pursuit you could see on Channel 5 coverage (channel 9 news people are the worst on their reporting making up stuff as they went along) that the driver of the vette, while driving was really spazzing out yelling and hitting the steering wheel like he was talking to someone which it seemed like he was. After they showed that near the end, he started to really drive dangerously. Prior, during the pursuit he was using his turn signals and waited for traffic to go by before turning.

Goes with out saying of course, if it is a vette or any car that someone uses in pursuits like this, good thing no innocent people were killed or really injured.
I watched it for 10 minutes or so. I liked the add/bump for the stock run flat tires. I liked how they kept repeating that the corvette is a high performance vehicle and built for speed. They should have commented on how bright the factory LED headlights are. I will not comment on the rest, as I stopped watching well before the end.
Old 12-14-2013, 10:33 AM
ufso
Le Mans Master

Received 181 Likes on 132 Posts

Ahhh, silver 'vettes! The choice of high speed pursuits!
Old 12-14-2013, 10:42 AM
ULEWZ
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 42 Posts

wasn't me.
Old 12-15-2013, 02:04 AM
djdinoe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wasn't me either lol but i did get a few text from friends teasing me about it...driver could have injured many people...i watched the raw video coverage..driver got out and ran towards the rear of the vette, looked like he was gonna open the rear lid but changed his mind and was gonna run back towards the front before cops shot him.
Old 12-15-2013, 01:56 PM
Otherslost
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

if you look at the video, the Vette had the green when he hit that car. the other car ran the light.
Old 12-15-2013, 11:30 PM
B R
Melting Slicks

Location: Los Angeles, CA.... I know a guy who has a Lambo with Corvette doors
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Otherslost
if you look at the video, the Vette had the green when he hit that car. the other car ran the light.
I noticed the same thing too, basically 2 idiots sharing the same few sq. ft. of road at the same time.
Old 12-16-2013, 12:03 PM
Todd157k
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

We watched it... just waiting for the carnage. KTLA showed the guy getting shot. nice. NBC said it was fatal.
The only reason to watch car chases is for the inevitable end.. it paid off.
Old 12-16-2013, 03:32 PM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The guy was in the complete wrong to run, but why shoot the guy for driving infractions?
Old 12-16-2013, 03:38 PM
Varmit
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by spiral04
The guy was in the complete wrong to run, but why shoot the guy for driving infractions?
evading, 2800.1 cvc, reckless driving, 2309 cvc, and hit and run are not infractions. If someone was injured in the other car, regardless who is at fault, then it is a felony hit and run, 2001 cvc. An investigation reviewed by the D.A's Office will determine is the use of deadly force was authorized or not.

Last edited by Varmit; 12-16-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:34 PM
MrMojoRisin921
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spiral04
I kind of agree with you. In the video you could see he didn't have anything in his hands and I counted 13 police cars in the video. 13+ police officers can't subdue one unarmed 51 year old guy who was disoriented from an airbag explosion in his face?
Old 12-16-2013, 09:18 PM
pkincy
Safety Car

Received 645 Likes on 485 Posts

Yes, it a bit like Tiger Woods moving his ball slightly with a million people watching. It will become a controversy.
Old 12-19-2013, 03:43 PM
djdinoe
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrMojoRisin921
I kind of agree with you. In the video you could see he didn't have anything in his hands and I counted 13 police cars in the video. 13+ police officers can't subdue one unarmed 51 year old guy who was disoriented from an airbag explosion in his face?
Yup, competely agree! Here's the thing with the LAPD, you better come out with your hands up or else they are going to make swiss cheese out of you
Old 12-20-2013, 10:20 PM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Default This incident is heating up

I just heard on the news today..that there is going to be a thorough investigation on the shooting incident. The family of the slain driver has retained an attorney, there is talk of a major law suite against the LAPD, the Police Chief has suspended 3 of the officers involved, and is not happy about what happened.

True..the guy was a complete fool, not to stop for the police..and calling his family on the cell phone, saying he didn't know what he was being chase... BUT there is no justification for shooting down and unarmed man who was no threat to anyone. The report says there was 13 shots fired at the suspect. Does it seem like someone...OVER REACTED ???
Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintagevetter
Does it seem like someone...OVER REACTED ???

The driver sure did. He should have just pulled over as a first action.

Why the officers shot him is worthy of an investigation, but I will pass judgement early and say it is a tragedy brought on mostly by the driver. Not only is the driver a victim, but so is his family and the officers burdened with the guilt of shooting him.
Old 12-20-2013, 11:08 PM
Wildmanht
Melting Slicks

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Vintagevetter
I just heard on the news today..that there is going to be a thorough investigation on the shooting incident. The family of the slain driver has retained an attorney, there is talk of a major law suite against the LAPD, the Police Chief has suspended 3 of the officers involved, and is not happy about what happened.

True..the guy was a complete fool, not to stop for the police..and calling his family on the cell phone, saying he didn't know what he was being chase... BUT there is no justification for shooting down and unarmed man who was no threat to anyone. The report says there was 13 shots fired at the suspect. Does it seem like someone...OVER REACTED ???
The attorney they got is known for going after police departments in California. He filed a $20 mill lawsuit.

What is lost in all of this and news reports is what about the people he hit? No idea if this is true or not but I read somewhere that the driver of the car this guy hit was in serious condition at a hospital after the accident.
Old 12-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Vintagevetter
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Wildmanht
The attorney they got is known for going after police departments in California. He filed a $20 mill lawsuit.

What is lost in all of this and news reports is what about the people he hit? No idea if this is true or not but I read somewhere that the driver of the car this guy hit was in serious condition at a hospital after the accident.
The "guy" he hit, was actually two women in an SUV...who ran the red light...big time. The video showed the light was green for the Corvette and the SUV was really hauling through the red light. so
they got nothing coming....
Old 12-23-2013, 02:39 PM
American Heritage
Supporting Vendor

Received 1,012 Likes on 533 Posts

We all make poor decisions and act like fools at some point and time in our lives.

My condolences to the family of the deceased.

Get notified of new replies

To C6 Silver Vette pursuit in LA tonight

Quick Reply: C6 Silver Vette pursuit in LA tonight