Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

Seriously??
Old 05-15-2014, 11:16 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Whats wrong with it that keeps it from passing?
Old 05-19-2014, 02:39 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Received 235 Likes on 181 Posts

Personally, not a big fan of smog .

Before I donated a car to the AQmd, and got the thousand dollar check, I had a few neighborhood gardeners interested in the car. They said the going rate for a criminal activity such as this was about 130 dollars. I would check with anyone with a low income and a car that looks likely as a candidate for extra needs down at the smog shop.

I wonder if you are just worried about the test or if you are a hardened career criminal and this is just how you roll . I understand if you can't comment.

Right now , today, a child born in parts of the san fernando valley will have life long lung damage by age eight because of the air quality.
Old 05-19-2014, 08:21 PM
lowboy18011
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Right now , today, a child born in parts of the san fernando valley will have life long lung damage by age eight because of the air quality.

^^^^^
Really? I really hate you people that lie to make a point. Would you please sell your Vette (if you even have one) buy a Prius and go on Prius forums and cry about how man is causing global warming!! Ja** A**
Old 05-19-2014, 08:31 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
Personally, not a big fan of smog .

Before I donated a car to the AQmd, and got the thousand dollar check, I had a few neighborhood gardeners interested in the car. They said the going rate for a criminal activity such as this was about 130 dollars. I would check with anyone with a low income and a car that looks likely as a candidate for extra needs down at the smog shop.

I wonder if you are just worried about the test or if you are a hardened career criminal and this is just how you roll . I understand if you can't comment.

Air quality is obviously an issue down in LA. I've remember being in San Dimas a few years back, and the smog would actually make me choke if I took a deep breath.

With that said, breaking smog laws aren't necessarily going to cause the same thing. There are many modifications that make a car illegal in CA, yet they have ZERO effect on tail pipe emissions. Something like an air intake is a pretty good example of that. As long as the engine runs clean at the tail pipe, I'm not sure why it matters. But to CARB, it does.

If someone is wanting to find a way around the smog laws in our state, it doesn't necessarily make them a "criminal". I personally know a number of people with cars that would fail a thorough visual emissions inspection, yet the cars run well below the legal limit when it comes to the exhaust analyzer portion of the test (i.e. the part that really matters).

Don't be so quick to judge people that might believe the spirit of the law is more important than the letter of the law.
Old 05-20-2014, 12:03 AM
2MFFZo6
Racer

WOW!!!! really? criminal activity? funny....

Old 05-20-2014, 01:44 AM
Olitho
Le Mans Master

Received 355 Likes on 222 Posts

Fines and penalties associated to smog fraud include:

For the consumer - A civil penalty of at least $150, but no more than $1,000, may be assessed to anyone who attempts to fraudulently obtain a smog check or inspection. This also applies to anyone who attempts to fraudulently obtain a vehicle repair or hardship waiver, or CAP assistance.
For the station owner - Fines and penalties for station owners can range between $5,000 to $150,000 depending on the amount of investigation time required by the Bureau of Automotive Repairs in order to bring up charges. Fines are almost always accompanied by the loss of the smog station's and smog technician's licenses. For less serious offenses, usually due to negligence or improper training, the first fine is $500.00. Subsequent offenses double to $1000 and triple to $1500; and the requirement to attend training classes apply in each case.

http://www.smogtips.com/smogcheckfraud.cfm
Old 05-20-2014, 01:42 PM
Mike.D
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yes O.P hit me up.. we do Illegal smogs ALL the time for our clients. The $150,000 fine is a bit seep, but who's going to find out, we're chatting on a public forum it should be safe.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:51 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Originally Posted by lowboy18011

^^^^^
Really? I really hate you people that lie to make a point. Would you please sell your Vette (if you even have one) buy a Prius and go on Prius forums and cry about how man is causing global warming!! Ja** A**
I am not a lier. That you accuse me if this action without proof shows some personal problems on your part. I don't want to get involved with your issues other than to correct your manners, once.

Support for this air quality statement, repeated from a radio interview of an AQMD official, can easily be found among the various medical studies posted on the los angeles AQMD website, most easily among the conclusions. Check the study tracking four year old children through fourth grade.

Last edited by strand rider; 05-22-2014 at 01:46 PM. Reason: fighting ignorance
Old 05-20-2014, 03:52 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 2MFFZo6
WOW!!!! really? criminal activity? funny....

AS you might suspect, this was an attempt , in a light hearted way ,to question the path, if this was in fact, the best long term solution.

I know my humor isn't pro quality, but at least I was trying to keep it light, instead of looking for a fight.

I trusted the readers to understand that it was an exaggeration, a device commonly used to make a point. I trust you now better understand my attempt at conveying my thoughts. I certainly wouldn't expect the good poster to consider herself a hardened criminal over a smog check, few reasonable people would .

While my answer was admittedly weak, it was a sincere attempt to provide substance for the poster. With a little research, the chemical additives that can be added to pass smog are easily found, I came across them just from general curiosity.

I just dashed off a few lines. I guess my ability in expressing my thoughts was overestimated. I certainly don't mind your question about my statements . I would rather address an unclear statement than have people wonder. What bugs me are other people who want to act like a bunch of lonely old ladies just waiting for something to object about so they can run their mouths without a concern of driving the conversation forward.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:31 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Everybody complains about the smog rules, but without them we wouldn't have the progress in engine efficiency that has taken place in the last 40 years. Car companies were fine with 10 mpg performance engines until California smog rules forced them to improve their design. My 03 Z06 gets 30mpg on the highway, and I'm very happy about it.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:35 PM
Streetk14
Melting Slicks

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by strand rider
AS you might suspect, this was an attempt , in a light hearted way ,to question the path, if this was in fact, the best long term solution.

I know my humor isn't pro quality, but at least I was trying to keep it light, instead of looking for a fight.

Unfortunately, there is no universal sarcasm icon on the internet. Your earlier post sounded serious to me.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:27 AM
spiral04
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by john8642
Everybody complains about the smog rules, but without them we wouldn't have the progress in engine efficiency that has taken place in the last 40 years. Car companies were fine with 10 mpg performance engines until California smog rules forced them to improve their design. My 03 Z06 gets 30mpg on the highway, and I'm very happy about it.

Yeah, but who cared about mileage when it was a buck a gallon.
Old 05-21-2014, 01:28 AM
dagon138
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

1st rule about Fight club...
Old 05-21-2014, 05:52 AM
Conv_GSDriver
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

All this and still no one has answered the question , maybe it's been PMd. Good thing i smogged my GS when it was still stock. With FL plates I will never have to do another smog in cali ever.
Old 05-21-2014, 07:43 PM
lowboy18011
Instructor

Smog regulations absolutely killed the car industry in the seventies and eighties, performance and otherwise, and did nothing to clean the damn air. It was when the computer became a viable and useful tool (small enough) that performance and cleaner running motors came to light. Computers enabled the car industry to overcome the overbearing regulations from GOVERNMENT and made cars fun again and CLEAN. Idiot!

Get notified of new replies

To SMOG in LA Area

Old 05-21-2014, 09:20 PM
john8642
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by lowboy18011
Smog regulations absolutely killed the car industry in the seventies and eighties, performance and otherwise, and did nothing to clean the damn air. It was when the computer became a viable and useful tool (small enough) that performance and cleaner running motors came to light. Computers enabled the car industry to overcome the overbearing regulations from GOVERNMENT and made cars fun again and CLEAN. Idiot!
Are you really so ignorant that you believe that? If so, idiot is a good description.

http://www.aqmd.gov/news1/archives/h.../marchcov.html
http://www.kcet.org/socal/departures...ys-behind.html
Old 05-21-2014, 10:11 PM
Blue Blood
Melting Slicks

Received 113 Likes on 59 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13, '15,'21

^ I agree, to think that the anti-smog laws didn't have an influence on today's fuel injection and CAFE laws would most likely point to the fact that you're not old enough to remember the brown air on the schoolyard playground.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:56 PM
strand rider
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Streetk14
Unfortunately, there is no universal sarcasm icon on the internet. Your earlier post sounded serious to me.
I am glad someone took issue with my statement, I wouldn't want a misunderstanding to represent my attempted approach toward helping people.

I grew up with no smog laws, and ran some rough cars in my youth. But I think my work sailing supertankers would be the major reason for me to not judge others on their pollution decisions, even if I knew any of the circumstances that drive this particular situation.

I stated my position, not a fan, at the outset, to be clear, and then was thinking a gentle reminder of the downside would be a fair accompaniment to my suggestion for action. Obviously the problem is unusual, since a car must be smogged at the transfer of ownership. The fact that this easiest solution , going back to the original owner for help, or to the original smog location was not mentioned , adds some questions, but wouldn't have effected my answer. My primary concern was that if the question was difficult now, the answer in the future will probably be more so. Getting over today's hurdle might not answer tomorrows' needs. A constant in the time line between today and tomorrow was the legal issue, so I went with that, thinking it would perhaps spur another approach, if possible.

I read here of one guy complaining his set up has been outside specs for years, but now they have made inspections more stringent and the same system is now detected. He knew what it was when he installed the thing , but thought the smog check situation would remain unchanged , I suppose. Now he blames stricter enforcement of the law instead of his original buying decision for his troubles.

. As more people get with the program, the chance for unintended harm from stricter enforcement is lessened. The laws will probably get tighter as time goes on, because people are not going to stop driving, and after a certain amount of time, they can't reasonably claim they didn't know and that the fine is an excessive hardship. I think the last time I failed smog, there was a five hundred dollar repair limit. About enough for a set of used cats. Past five hundred and the car was legal, you tried, at least.

Even with the best smog controls, the volume of cars still screws the air quality. I think we also have some new gas regulations coming, which might further confuse the issue of compliance in a non legal car.

I would never attack another for a simple request for information. I now see that in this neighborhood , things are a little less polite than expected and boorish behavior is normal from some. I had hoped this local section would have less foam at mouth guys, but then I am an incurable optimist.

Last edited by strand rider; 05-23-2014 at 04:59 PM.

Quick Reply: SMOG in LA Area